Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Palm oil

Wow, what a disturbing list. I would like to avoid using products containing palm oil as all over Asia native jungle is destroyed to plant trees to produce palm oil. As land is being cleared and jungles are burnt, the smoke pollutes the atmosphere and covers other countries too, causing friction. But if you perused this list, you will probably have to throw out almost everything in your food cupboard, your fridge, you laundry cupboard and your bathroom cupboard and if you have a bed side drawer with adult products in it, they may have to go too. Sometimes there is not even a viable alternative. From a little research my breakfast cereal, Uncle Toby's Antioxidant Plus, seems to contain Certified Sustainable palm oil.

http://www.palmoilinvestigations.org/products-australia

I quite admire Senator Nick Xenophon. Read what he has to say about truth in labelling.

http://www.nickxenophon.com.au/campaigns/food-labelling-scandal/ 

There is plenty on the matter to read if you just type 'truth in labelling palm oil' into your search engine. From my brief reading, palm oil is full of saturated fats and is not particularly good for you.

Zoos Victoria has also been campaigning against palm oil production on behalf the Orang-utans who are having their forests destroyed.

13 comments:

  1. Andrew, I totally agree with you. In my place there are products mainly cosmetics which include pal oil. What a pity nature is a priority...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, we want to do the right thing, but it is nearly impossible with palm oil.

      Delete
  2. There are many other vegetable oils available for cooking and cleaning. I wonder why companies don't use a more sustainable product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, we are in a capitalist society. Companies reduce costs. Palm oil is cheap.

      Delete
  3. Goodness there are so many products with palm oil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave up to read what I eat or use ! I would be long dead by now !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I know what you mean but we have to also care for environment.

      Delete
  5. This makes me grateful I don't use cosmetics. I check the ingredients on most of what I buy, but had no idea palm oil is included in cleaning supplies such as Ajax cream cleanser, which I use to clean the basin. On the other hand, I use maybe two drops at a time and I've had the same bottle since I moved in here, so that eases the conscience a bit. Since there is a sustainable version of palm oil available, why don't all companies use that instead of tearing down jungles and rainforests?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again River, cost. Corrupt politicians and businesses make a lot of money from growing palm oil as cheaply as possible. To grow it sustainably costs more. We would barely notice the increase in the cost when buying a product, but multiply it by volumes sold and it is a huge amount of money that stands to be lost by the producers and profiteers.

      Delete
  6. Another compelling argument for reducing your intake of packaged, processed food.

    The cleaning and personal care products are where the problem lies for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayne, it seems impossible to avoid. We would all be healthier without packaged and processed food.

      Delete