Friday, October 10, 2014

Our Mental ABC

It has been out ABC's mental health week. When I first heard of it, I rolled my eyes and expected a lot of worthy but boring and tedious stuff. I should have known better. Good broadcasting can make the dullest of subjects interesting, amusing and yet still get the message across. While I have not burrowed to any depth or with intent, what I have heard on ABC Local Radio, Radio National and ABC TV has been terrific. Well done to all.

Political parties always promise to not cut funding to our ABC broadcaster before they are elected, and once they are, they cut funding. Prime Minister Abbott is following a well worn path and the governing Liberal Party is cutting funding to our ABC.

In my opinion the ABC should be better funded. If you compare what it achieves on not very much money compared to the BBC, our ABC is a very lean organisation.

Mental health is not something that is readily discussed but I reckon it touches most of us at times. Think about who you know.

On tv I am watching the very entertaining one off  ABC production  Friday Night Crack Up, a two hour ABC variety show. Just wonderful talent.


16 comments:

  1. In this house we love the ABC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased to hear WA. I had hoped so.

      Delete
  2. Not sure if you had a chance to catch 'Timothy' on the ABC the other night. Timothy is played by Sonya's Brother-in-Law, Stephen Curry, who played a high-flying CEO who had a mental breakdown and is now once again living with his mum and dad in Woolloongong. A very funny show. If you missed it, check it out in iView.

    Cheers,

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see it Bill. It was very good. Stephen seems to be everywhere at the moment.

      Delete
  3. I like the ABC too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So important to Australia, Diane.

      Delete
  4. I saw only a very brief segment of Friday Night Crack Up, the one with the various journalists singing. Lee Lin Chin was wearing the most quirky outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AdRad, I love Lee Lin Chin and no surprise that she would participate.

      Delete
  5. Mental health is very important to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it is something that knows no borders or class.

      Delete
  6. I almost never watch the ABC, so I've missed all of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too busy with books River? I envy you.

      Delete
  7. I will make the time to watch it next Friday on your recommendation Andrew :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I think it was one off. Not sure really.

      Delete
  8. I loved the 3 part doco on the psych ward in Liverpool Hospital. Very much relatable to my work.
    It's fabulous to see the spotlight on mental health, the more that's done to decrease the stigma the better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I saw two of the three. R filled me in on about the one I missed. I want to be good about the matter, but I am not good at dealing with people with mental health issues. I am poisoned by my work.

      Delete