Wednesday, October 15, 2014

My Special Day

I think I will remember my birthday this year, Tuesday, for the cyclonic winds we have had, and from temperatures in the high twenties over the weekend to low teens for the last two days.

Last Sunday dawned fine while the mad bastards, 30,000 of them, ran past The Highrise.


We had a nice family lunch at the Frankston RSL with Mother, ABI Brother, Tradie Brother, Oldest Niece, her partner and Little M and also Hippy Niece. We went back to Tradie Brother's place for coffee and cake and on the way home picked up Dog Jack who we are looking after for a week. It was tiring day and Mother was slightly less well than her usual not well.

The RSL Club is huge and seats 300 diners in various areas. It occupies a commanding position on a hill and is really first rate for what they put back into the place and the community. The foundation stone, clearly not of this actual building, was laid by former and late Prime Minister Stanley Melbourne Bruce.


Is this what Prime Minister Abbott will shirt front President Putin with?


Tradie Brother and Hippy Niece took to the dance floor when the band struck up shortly before we left.


Tradie Brother adores his dog, a little more than one year old. The dog had a good licking of Little M who found the canine attention delightful.


Mother gave me this orchid. I had wondered why R had bought such a modest (read cheap) bunch of flowers at the weekend. I have no idea what they are called. Does anyone? I may have preferred a smaller orchid but it is very nice. Once the flower dies, we will give it to someone with a garden.



ABI Brother gave me a bottle of wine and Hippy Niece bought me wine for lunch.

Nothing special happened yesterday, the day of my birthday. I opened my gift from our Friend in Japan and there are some great photos in the book, including a terrific one of Marc Bolan of T Rex which I have never seen.  My self chosen gift from R is a wallet by Jeff Banks of London. R kept steering me to the ones on sale, but I wasn't having a bar of it. Truthfully, the cheaper ones were just not what I wanted. They were too shiny, the leather was not soft, had no change pocket or were poorly made. I think I will be very happy with this new one.


"Tradie Brother, I never knew you could get birthday cards with an age when it is only a minor birthday. Thank you". Closer inspection revealed you can't.

 

 

R was out when I returned home for lunch, but he does know where to leave something so that I see it.


Post Script: A gorgeously wicked card arrived in today's post from Annie O'Dyne. Thank you my love.

21 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday my friend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew. Belated Happy Birthday. The orchid is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Birthday card is fantastic so you are very young 7 years old lovely idea....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday. Sounds like you had a great day...best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Andrew. Another year closer to retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone. For my 60th I want gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only in case I will get your address. It is obvious...

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday!!
    I'd send a cake but it might get squashed in the mail.
    Glad you had a lovely birthday lunch. It's wise to get the wallet you want, sometimes you find it in the sales section, but more often not and you need to be carrying something that has the features you want and can be comfortable with. I don't like hard and shiny wallets either. I'm happy with both of mine which are quite old by now.
    again, Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, if you are tempted next year, I am rather fond of a lamington sponge. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. gggrrrr The Prime Minister Abbott doesn't speak for anyone :(

    Can you imagine if our head of state was invited to another country and that country threatened to bash him up? Especially since the Russians want to look after their citizens in the Ukraine and would not attack a plane of innocent citizens in the skies above. I would be having a good look at the Ukrainians but that is another question. The question here is being polite and hospitable to another country's head of state.

    OK I've got that off my chest now. Hope you had a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardly the words of a diplomatic PM, is it Hels. I expect it is more for domestic consumption.

      Delete
  9. I am so far behind on my reading. So glad I didn't miss your birthday! I've asked San Geraldo to bake a birthday cake. I'll eat it in your honor. (Cause I'm selfless.) Thanks for thinking of me/us with your cyclonic winds. Wishing you a very happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, I hope you enjoyed my cake. The cyclonic winds have passed now and it is a lovely day.

      Delete
  10. I like the card from your brother. That's fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dina, he does like a prank and I have been a victim of a few.

      Delete
  11. HUGE happy bleated birthday Andrew, sounds like you had a really nice day with the family. The 'cheap' flowers that R gave you look like freesias (do they have a wonderful perfume?) and are my very fav spring flower. Your new wallet looks very swish, and even better..comfortable! J'adore wickedly gorgeous b/day cards, I did get a few myself :) Hope Mum's feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, they are a little freesia like, but I don't think so and no scent at all. Pleased your day was good too.

      Delete
  12. Happy belated birthday Andrew. The orchid is a Cymbidium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep AdRad. I know me orchids.

      Delete