Friday, October 10, 2014

I'll call you back, my battery is flat

Victor has been travelling overseas, again, and returned home via Hong Kong and found himself right in the middle of the protest that went on for a week or so. I quipped a comment to his blog post, I thought all the students would go home once their mobile phone batteries went flat. Victor informed me that Hong Kong has public charging points for mobile phones.  What a great idea.

Old men like moi religiously ensure all their devices remain charged. Sorry, flat battery, is not something you will hear from me. Not so my niece the last time she stayed. Firstly she forgot her charger and then we realised her phone was the same as ours and she could charge it here. Did she put it on overnight charge? No, she took it to bed and it was flat in the morning when she needed it. A ten minute charge got it going again and usable , until it again went flat some hours later.

Well so apparently does London have public charging points, solar powered. They have been turning redundant red phone call boxes into useful green phone recharging boxes. Our gubbermint has gotten rid of all our red phone boxes. Not happy. Maybe there are a couple left somewhere in Australia. Take a look at the London effort.


14 comments:

  1. Public charging stations! what a great idea. And I bet they're free. If our gubbmint got on board with this, there'd be a fee for sure. Just one more way to fleece the masses. I don't use my phone as much as I used to so it doesn't go flat as much, but I check it every evening and if necessary I plug it in while I prepare dinner and leave it until I go to bed, or overnight if it is close to flat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, there is on screen advertising in the phone box while you wait for your phone to be charged. You take your phone to bed so that you won't miss the life changing text message?

      Delete
    2. No, bedtime is when I unplug everything from the chargers, phone, kindle, camera batteries.

      Delete
    3. The wisdom of the mature could be passed on to the younger, but they will learn their own lessons.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful idea, public charging for those in need. I'm used to recharging my phone before I go to bed, for in the past one of my late parents would phone me in the middle of the night sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep WA. You must always have your phone charged for such contingencies.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, public charging point for mobiles is a great and fantastic idea. I have seen it in Europe. Maybe in London but I didn't notice it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I never noticed it in Europe or London. It is a good idea, especially if done by solar.

      Delete
  4. Wasn't the problem with the red phone boxes that they were regularly vandalised ? Is it possible that the lure of the free charge will overcome the urge to destroy :) and then there's the question of sunshine, seriously :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were Grace, but if they can be kept in order in Britain, I don't see why not here. They have batteries to store electricity to use when the sun is not shining.

      Delete
    2. Andrew I don't think a week of yearly sunshine will hold out for long :)

      Delete
    3. Like Paris would be any better Grace?

      Delete
  5. I wonder if people still piddle in the green ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time will tell Fen. I reckon they might, while waiting around for their phone to charge once they are bladdered and wanting to send a text to the chick they just told to piss orf.

      Delete