Wednesday, October 08, 2014

How to cook a shemale

I first heard of the murder suicide on the radio and as it was in Queensland, a long way from here, I did not take much notice. Two different people at work drew my attention to it. Ah, very nasty business. I don't know why they thought I would be terribly interested.

The Queensland newspaper The Courier Mail is not known for its quality journalism, but this time it really scraped the bottom of the barrel of disrespect. It is a pay newspaper but you may be able to visit it for free to read the story here. I would never pay to read such a rubbish newspaper. At the bottom of the story is a half hearted apology for yesterday's disgraceful reporting.

"MAYANG Prasetyo was the innocent victim of a horrendous crime, killed by the man she should have been able to trust the most.
She should be remembered — as we reported yesterday — for her cheerful and friendly disposition, and for the care she had showed her family and loved ones in Indonesia.
Many believe that yesterday we presented Mayang’s story in a way that was disrespectful to her memory.
The Courier-Mail had no intention of diminishing the value of Mayang’s life, or to add to the grief being felt by her family."

The offensive stuff from yesterday, more appropriate for the English Sun newspaper. It is no co-incidence that they have the same owner.


10 comments:

  1. This is the first I've heard about this and I dearly wish I hadn't. What a terrible thing to happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure River. She sounded like a good person and did not deserve headlines like that.

      Delete
  2. I've said it before Andrew, honourable journalists are like hen's teeth, which is a shame because you like to think most of them go in with ethics.. unfortunately the general public have a hunger for trash and they run with it. Respect has long disappeared in that profession, sad hey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it was gratuitous sensationalism. The story would have been the same if it was straight reported.

      Delete
  3. My comment disappeared! Dammit
    I think I said that I was disgusted when I saw this headline.
    Another crime against a woman :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, in these days of mostly trouble free internet, why do our comments still disappear? They are the best writing of our lives and they are gone. Crime against women and crime against the person, whatever they are made up of.

      Delete
  4. A dreadful thing to happen, to the women. The media often do not write these happenings well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly don't WA.

      Delete
  5. There are some very odd people in our world.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately Merle, we are both quite sane, aren't we?

      Delete