Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A St Kilda Saunter

I went to St Kilda to walk out onto the pier to see how the boat moorings have been re-arranged. This is Alfred Square on the Esplanade. To the left and out of the photo is St Kilda's oldest house, a single storey and rather plain building. I've showed you the house before and I can't be bothered finding the post. You should have been reading then and remember.


Looking from the beach out to the pier and St Kilda's famous rebuilt pier kiosk.


The old boat moorings. I expect these posts will be removed.


The new moorings are on the other side of the pier return, that is where the pier turns to the right at the kiosk. This area houses penguins in the rocks, as our Friend in Japan once showed us. It was a nice little calm area where the leatherbacks* used to tan their crinkly old hides . I'm not sure I like this at all.


There was a strong and warm wind blowing from the north. It nearly blew my cap from my head.


While the need for this extension to the breakwater is not apparent in a north wind, I can assure you that you could observe its effectiveness when there is a cold southerly blowing.


Looking towards shore. Visible from your left to right is an apartment building on the Esplanade, Luna Park, The Palais Theatre cloaked in a covering and Edgewater Apartments.


A mosaic before the pier.


The crumbling Palais Theatre which our State Government will not stump up money to repair.


Luna Park and as is said, just for fun.


What was doing here. Ah yes, I had to buy some special light bulbs at the lighting shop. This is very nicely renovated Greyhound Hotel, host of many gay and lesbian nights.


My own local council of City of Port Phillip is made up of three amalgamated councils, Cities of St Kilda, Port Melbourne and South Melbourne. The name on what was once the St Kilda Town Hall is curious, because we don't generally call our town halls, city halls. The flag on your right is the Aboriginal flag but I don't know about the one of the left. St Kilda has a large population of of gays and lesbians so at appropriate times, the gay rainbow flag can be seen flying. St Kilda also has a high population of Aborigines, drug users, immigrants, backpackers and middle class tourists, Jews, prostitutes and the mentally unwell. If you live in St Kilda, you are either an 'interesting person', or you like to be among 'interesting' people. At times I observe children on their way to or from their private schools and I wonder about how they feel about living in such a diverse community, as opposed to their classmates who would mostly come from very wealthy white suburbs. Are they envied at school or disparaged for where they live? Do they embrace or reject where they live? It is nothing to see a famous person walking one of their small children to the local primary school.


*Old men and women who spend a lot of time maintaining the very dark tans on their saggy old bodies.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour. Leatherbacks! To me I don't like, makes them look older. They must be addicted to tanning.
    When I was a child I didn't take any notice of the poorer children at the private schools I attended. There were children from different countries but not like it is now. Tasmania is somewhat isolated to a degree of many nations living together.
    Do hope the Government (local) do find money for the Theater as it looks a nice sturdy building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavily addicted to tanning WA. There does come a time to cover up, methinks. Yes, I imagine not too many immigrants want to live in Tasmania, which means you can maintain your lifestyle and ease of moving around. I've always had a thought to have a place in Tasmania for the summer but it hard to decide between the two big towns. I would probably go for Hobart though because of its better preservation of history and the river.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, fantastic Pier I love it. The theatre is also interesting. I love the Fun Park I hope it will be fun visit it I think living in a multicultural community it is an experience.. I didn't experience it personally..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, the pier gets so busy with tourists and locals walking out there on a nice day, or even not such a nice day.

      Delete
  3. I never knew there was a Luna Park in Melbourne
    Leatherbacks I know a few of those.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, without checking, I guess it is about the same age as your Luna Park. I visited there recently, so there will be some photos coming up.

      Delete
  4. St Kilda also has a high population of Aborigines, drug users, immigrants, backpackers and middle class tourists, Jews, prostitutes and the mentally unwell.
    Ditto Adelaide and I dare say the other capital cities too.
    I like the ocean photos. What a shame the government won't cough up funds for the Palais Theatre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do River, but not as concentrated as they are in St Kilda. The government of which which brand yet will have to pay for the restoration of The Palais, but it won't be until after the next election.

      Delete
  5. The flag is the Torres Strait Islander flag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belle. They are a race apart then. I kind of know that already.

      Delete
  6. Great photos. Shame about the Palais Theatre. What a beautiful building. I hope someone saves it. Luna Park: I have to look up the history. There was a famous one in Brooklyn, NY (Coney Island).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, no doubt it will be saved. It is still used as a performance venue and is very popular. I have heard of something at Coney Island.

      Delete
  7. StKilda was stunning in the late 19th century, crappy between the wars and regentrified in the last few decades. I don't know how interesting I am, but I have always lived in StKilda, East Stkilda or North Caulfield. The beach, Ackland St coffee culture, Esplanade, Luna Park, The Palais Theatre, Carlisle St.... all seductive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, there is a terrific Face Book group, St Kilda - Images and Stories. It is a very special area of Melbourne.

      Delete