Monday, September 15, 2014

Zoom zoom

We collected our new car on Friday, after handing over a very large bank cheque. Sob. The salesman for our new Mazda 3 Maxx was pleasant and competent. He showed us thoroughly about how things work on our new car before we took it out of the showroom. Most of what he said was teaching grannies how to suck eggs. He seemed to forget that our old car was only five years old.  We kind of know about intermittent wipers. We kind of know about air con and ventilation. What he did not show us was how to kill the sat nav lady. We were presented with a bottle of wine as we left and very nice it was too.

We drove it about for about an hour with some pauses to investigate things. The car dealer was very close to the City Link office. We updated the Etag for the auto pay roads. I wondered if I should have asked the older woman at the City Link counter if she remembered a Fen.

My plan was to stop at Westgate Park and take some photos of the new car. The park entrance seems to blocked off by construction sites. We stopped at Station Pier instead. R took his driving turn to Elwood and half way back to The Highrise. It is a complicated beast, but not beyond my understanding. I have read the manual, the salient bits. I have never needed to bluetooth in the past, but our phones are now bluetoothed to the car. It will be so easy to listen to podcasts to and from work.  The talking woman, that admittedly I had set up to give us directions when we did not need them, could not be shut up. There is no cancel sat nav button. We found out how to, but it should be easier (now more familiar with it, it is not so hard).  She is now set up to only speak when required although even when off, I have allowed her to warn of speed and traffic cameras.

We will get around at some point to going through the voice recognition software, whereby she says words and you repeat them back to her, but so far she hasn't had trouble with our commands. Most likely use we will have for that is 'call home' to alert the person at home to move one car in the garage so that they are in the correct order. While you can't operate the screen while the car is in motion using your fingers on the screen, you can do some things with voice command and everything with a little joystick near the gear stick.

One feature of interest is I Stop, where the car switches off while stationary at traffic lights and restarts as you remove your foot from the brake. I don't know how it works on a manual gear car. We are getting used to it and it works well. If you don't like it, it can be switched off. I am of mixed mind about it. What you save in fuel cost might have to spent on replacing the battery more often, or god forbid, the starter motor. It is taking some getting used to pushing a button to start and stop the car. The button is to the left of the steering wheel and we are both still trying to put a non existent key into a non existent key hole on the right.

I am writing this Sunday, but it won't be up until Monday.  We went to Nagambie yesterday for a decent drive, except I can't tell you about that because we haven't been yet.

We were standing outside waiting for the appointed meeting time to collect the new car. R asked if I would miss the old one. No, not really, as I felt tears welling. Just pathetic emo me. This is the last we saw of the old car, as we left by the back entrance in the new car. We won't miss how the iridescent dark blue showed the dirt so badly.


When leaving though, we did drive past where the old one was parked and forgot to wave goodbye, no, not even a backward glance. I wonder if this one will see us out. I don't plan to have a car once I stop working and R will be getting quite old by then and I doubt he will want to drive. It all rather depends on family circumstances and for the cost of car registration, insurance, road side care, depreciation, fuel and maintenance, a lot of public transport, taxis and car share schemes can be paid for.

26 comments:

  1. Our car is also a Mazda, and that dark, dirt showing blue. Which himself loves when it shines in the sun.
    I hope you have many, many happy trips in yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it did look great when it was clean and sparkling in the sunshine.

      Delete
  2. Congrats! Thats a beauty. I am never ceased to be amazed at technology today and often wonder what the future will bring. Hope you enjoy this one for a long time. I had a giggle about your sat nag lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, sat nag lady, ah, your work, very good, has a posh English accent but a pleasant enough tone. I too am amazed at technology, but why has R's phone contact list been uploaded to the car and I can't upload mine?

      Delete
  3. The new car is lovely, sleek and shiny, but I like the blue one. I hope you enjoy the new one for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, given the trade in price we got for it, you could have just about bought it outright. Many years, I hope.

      Delete
  4. Here's to many happy driving miles no matter who is in the right hand seat - it could be share and share alike if the one in the left seat pushes the stop and go button!
    Come back and tell us how you get on car less when the time arrives Andrew - it might not be the same as you imagine.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, if I am in the passenger seat, I am very tempted to do the start button, but it won't work if a foot is not on the brake. If I run through what we have used cars, yes two, for in the last month, there are quite viable alternatives. I don't want to be a stupid old driver. Well, I notice my extra cautiousness in the last couple of years. I am on my way.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! I've always liked the Mazda 3, but haven't seen the recent developments. Intermittent wipers??? He's got to be kidding! But the bottle of wine was a nice touch. That's never happened to us when buying a car.

    And, if I were R, YOU'D be in big trouble for saying he "... will be getting quite old by then." You seem to like to live dangerously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, I think our first intermittent wipers were in late 80s. The wine was a good marketing tactic. It is the second car we have bought there. Next time, we will probably focus on how good the service was and the nice wine.

      Psst, seventy in five years time can no longer be considered as middle aged. Yes, I mention age far too much.

      Delete
    2. Jerry will be 70 in 5 years, too, and I want to slap him when he says he's old. The nice thing in Spain is that we are "mayor" and not "viejo" (old). My mother is 87 and asks, "If YOU'RE old, what does that make me?"

      Delete
    3. Mitchell, some of us enjoy wallowing within the old age tag.

      Delete
    4. You can't be old, you're younger than me and I'm not old.

      Delete
    5. River, well in gay years, I am ancient.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the new car Andrew! It's a beauty indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. We are happy with it.

      Delete
  7. I have an earlier model Mazda 3 (3 years old) and have been happy with it although several things annoy me mainly to do with the location of things for a left hand drive vehicle that weren't adjusted for right hand drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I remember when it was sparkling new. I can't say I have noticed anything about opposite placement. This is our fourth Japanese car and they all seem to have things in much the same places.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations to your new car ! Sounds good ! The trouble with all these automatic electronic things is that when the window goes stuck in winter with temperatures - 5 you can't even close it manually. Happened once to us ! I have a hybrid Toyota which switches automatically from petrol to electricity ! Saves a lot of money in petrol !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, cold temperatures won't be a problem here, although auto windows do fail at times. Yes, the hybrid is very economical.

      Delete
  9. Andrew, it is a good choice. Drive safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gosia. I has many more safety features than the previous car.

      Delete
  10. Looks lovely! Hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rae. I am sure we will, once we are used to it.

      Delete
  11. That car is much to smart for it's own good :) Wish I'd got the silver now instead of the black, looks so smart. Lots of fun times ahead Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. I do like a black car but oh how they show the dirt. We are happy with it. R is out now with it on his first solo drive.

      Delete