Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Tintin

Do you remember when I posted this photo of Tintin, peeking above a building in Brussels? We were lucky to see him from the railway station. He looks quite different from other angles, where he is a simply a mounted sign. Was he deliberately placed to be seen peeking over the building by people at Brussels Midi Railway Station? I would guess so.


Tintin is big business in Brussels. South of Brussels in Louvain-la-Neuve is a museum dedicated to Tintin and other characters by his creator. Elsewhere and of course in Brussels, there are merchandise shops. You can take guided or self guided Tintin walks in Brussels.

My knowledge of Tintin is almost nothing, except he had a dog, he was Belgian and is a cult figure. I'll find out a little more. Better get his name correct first. Yes, it is Tintin, not Tin Tin, as in the tv dog Rin Tin Tin.

Tintin was a comic book character. I missed out there. I was too focused on Disney comic books. The author was Belgian, Georges Remi, who wrote under the pen name of Herge.

Tintin was a  reporter, I assume with a newspaper, and a crime solver. He had curious quiff of hair. His dog was named Snowy. I quote Wikipedia here:

Its well-researched plots straddle a variety of genres: swashbuckling adventures with elements of fantasy, mysteries, political thrillers, and science fiction. The stories feature slapstick humour, offset by dashes of sophisticated satire and political or cultural commentary.

It actually sounds quite good. Here is Tintin and Snowy.


Photo by Daily Mail. I am sure it is the same sign as we saw but closer and from a different angle.


A terrific poster. Photo by Nicole Basaraba


Photo by Design You Trust.


Photo by Folkston Jack.


Photo by Best of Brussels.


Isn't this just a fantastic cover. Photo by Inforrm.


You can probably buy the work in the Tintin Shop.


I think this street scene is from one of the comic books. My ability to read French is très ordinaire. The mural is by artist Yves Challand and photo by National Geographic.


Might have a look at Amazon now and see what Tintin reading is available.

26 comments:

  1. Andrew, Tintin of course is well-known at my place. I love the pictures so funny. Especially in the evening after the daily routine. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the post and pictures Gosia.

      Delete
  2. My partner grew up with Tintin. And we do have a number of Tintin books. No other merchandise though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I feel like I really missed out on something. Clearly the skinny one didn't.

      Delete
  3. Not a lot known about Tintin, I remember the comic but only just.
    Merle........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much the same as me Merle.

      Delete
  4. In the middle 1950s, my brothers loved Tintin (and Biggles). I, the only girl in the family, was given Famous Five and Secret Seven instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Middle 50s Hels? Surely not. I loved Biggles, the Famous Five and Secret Seven.

      Delete
  5. Tintin is very educative for kids and adults ! The sign you saw from the station is the editor's office building. Hergé the cartoonist who invented Tintin died in 1983. I knew his nephew who tried to follow into his uncle's footsteps but without any success. You can read everything about Hergé (Georges Remi) in Wikipedia ! Or the Tintin walk in Brussels http://visitbrussels.be/bitc/BE_en/walk/390/tintin-walk.do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gattina. It is terrific to have some local input. I did read about Herge, but the post was becoming too hard and then I switched a photo post.

      Delete
  6. Hello Andrew,

    Oh yes, we are well conversed with 'Herge's Adventures of Tintin' which seemed to be a never ending series on television back in the Dark Ages when we actually had such a thing!

    A boy of action after our own hearts.....

    All the times we have been through Brussels but we have never caught sight of a Tintin advertisement. Just shows how observant we are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah JayLa. You need to get among the common people in Brussels, rather than the path from the opera house to the art gallery. Just joking. Yes, I don't recall seeing a tv at your hacienda.

      Delete
  7. As you may have found out, for many years Tintin in the Congo was not issued in English-speaking countries because of its perceived racism/paternalism to the Congolese. It's still a matter of some controversy, though a law case decided in Belgium in 2012 seems to have allowed it through over objections as a historical document. I have a T-shirt with a picture from the book but I doubt if I would dare wear it in the USA as the visual depiction of the Congolese would surely offend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcellous, I did pick that up. There were also issues in some of the other publications too. Interesting Belgian information that I did not know. Yes, you would not want to offend in the US, where the vast majority of their people on death row are black. Snort!

      Delete
  8. "Tintin was a comic book character."
    That's as much as I know too.
    I don't know anybody who ever read Tintin, we all read the Archie and Veronica series, loved Jughead, most of the boys read Superman and those other super heroes. I remember reading Little Lotta and her friend Dot and a couple of others I don't remember the names of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I have a vague memory of Archie comics, and Jughead. That is it.

      Delete
  9. Doesn't anyone remember the great Tintin/Asterix revival of the late 1970s?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pants, I saw stuff about that on the net but did not follow up.

      Delete
    2. I vaguely remember my kids watching Asterix cartoons.

      Delete
    3. River, I just don't know anything about Asterix. How did I miss them. Maybe because it was the late seventies and I had no contact with kids.

      Delete
  10. I like the drawings, there is something quite endearing about them. I must admit, though, I don't recall hearing of Tintin until quite recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I really regret not having Tintin in my childhood and only knowing about him later.

      Delete
  11. I loved the Asterix comics as a kid! They were great. While I was aware of Tintin, he never captured my attention...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asterix is totally mysterious to me, Wombat.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. I ma not at all surprised, Grace.

      Delete