Thursday, September 04, 2014

Something new in the Highrise carpark

Web sites were ostentatiously left open on the desk top. Brochures were casually left around. My bank balance was discreetly checked by someone. I am not going to spoil a good story story with the boringly basic fact that it was a mutual agreement under some discussion for a while.

Sunday was spent looking at SUVs and we test drove one. It felt.......well, utilitarian and the car we seriously looked at was rather a lot more than we wanted to spend and we were not happy with the deal offered. We ended up at the Mazda dealer where R bought his new car five years ago.  A salesman greeted us and was pleasant and not forceful. We asked a few questions and one of his replies consolidated in R's mind that we did not really want nor need an SUV. It was getting late in the day and quite warm and we were becoming mentally 'done in'.

Why were we looking at SUVs? For ease of getting into and out of, especially for R. Also a friend has just bought one and we liked it, a GMH Holden Captiva.

Yesterday we called into a friend's place who wanted us to witness some forms. We then went for and enjoyable brunch and returned home, where I finally filled in the information for the accountant for my tax return. Sob, I think I may have to pay this year, for the first time. I'll make sure that doesn't happen next year by spending, and I did.

So, mid afternoon found us back at the Mazda car dealer. After R bought his last car, although we were happy with the car, we came away from the dealer feeling we paid too much. We felt a little railroaded and not in control. Subsequent conversations with workmates confirmed we should have fought for a better deal and paid less.

This time we had no such feelings. We were happy with the deal and while it is a lengthy process to buy a new car and we have to wait a couple of weeks for it to be delivered we are extremely happy with our choice and the car's features. R's Mazda 3 Maxx Sport is being replaced by a Mazda 3 Maxx.

Meanwhile I still hang on to my 1999 Hyundai Lantra. I only use it for it work. Again I being a little untruthful. I take R's car to work on a daily basis and if we go out anywhere, of course we use R's car. The Hyundai travels about 20 kilometres a week, used by R  to go to Port Melbourne for his volunteer work one day a week and me to go to work on Mother Thursday when R travels to the outer south east on the freeway. Oh yes, if I am working Saturday then R will take the Hyundai to Prahran for the weekly shop.

Some might suggest we are filling our empty lives with consumerism. I don't care, we are very happy about buying a new car. Err, but I have to get used to parking by watching a camera, which is just as well as you can't see out of the small high windows.



26 comments:

  1. Andrew, it is not consumerism. I think you car is old so you should buy one. Why not. It is 21st century and we live only once. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, we wanted to change the old car before it loses too much of its value.

      Delete
    2. Andrew, it is wise decision.

      Delete
  2. Eeek. I don't drive but well remember buying our last car. The first ever 'new' car to enter our lives. Some salesmen could triumph in Mastermind with the special subject of condescending pushiness. I hope R's new car gives you both a heap of pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, they can be, to be blunt, pricks. We have rarely come across a decent one. Not sure if I said so or not, but it actually our car, as I am paying half.

      Delete
  3. I would generally agree about consumerism being a force for evil in this world. So if a decision is being made about cars, it should be on the basis of safety, comfort, reliability, costs etc. Not on which company has the sexiest ads.

    So use the new car in health and with pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, we believe it excels in comfort, economy and safely. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. You can't see out of the small high windows? Why would they make small high windows in the first place? Seeing is so necessary in a car! A camera is a poor substitute in my opinion, but I don't drive, so what do I know?
    Yes, on the consumerism, but heck, it's your money and new cars are very lovely. Go ahead and enjoy it. I'd be joining you in consumerism if I had cash to splash, but not on a car. For me it would be a bigger TV, and better quality furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, Australia has very strict car design laws, however, it seems visibility out of windows is not one of them. It has very much become style over substance. Another point about high windows is younger kids can't see out of them as they are too low.

      I really can't see the point of new cars, when they lose so much of their value immediately but it is not all about me.

      Can I just suggest, a bigger tv does not make the programmes any better.

      Delete
  5. I hate consumerism. I love new cars. And I am happy you have a new one. But back to SUV's--I found them terribly hard to get in and out of as you have to step up and pull your body behind you. No big deal really until you get over 65 and have a bit too much weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, we are at one with disliking consumerism and the whole concept of disposable products, yet we participate rather a lot. Surely getting up out of a low car is harder than stepping up into a higher car? Although I am younger than R, I am becoming aware that I don't jump out of a car anymore.

      Delete
  6. Hello Andrew,

    Well, the days of our motor car owning are now but a distant memory.....but our Minis and BMW Z3s still bring back smiles!

    Your new car, or R's new car, sounds fabby and, if it looks like the picture, is really stylish! We have never test driven a car in our lives, but it possibly is very wise to do so!

    How well we can imagine you and R buzzing around in your new Mazda. What fun. How we wish we could be driven in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayLa, you are fortunately placed to not need a motor car. I rather wish we did not need them, but we do. Yes, as pictured, that is what we have bought.

      As for test driving, modern cars just work and I think the whole test driving of similar cars from different makers is quite pointless.

      Of course you could visit Australia and stay with us........and we will probably get the tram to go to places in the inner to mid city of interest, rather than use the car. But the car to visit places outside of Melbourne is really required, so buzz around we would.

      Delete
    2. Darling A,

      If anyone can get us to Australia......then you and R could!

      Buzzzzzzzzz!

      Delete
  7. Isn't car buying time consuming. If you don't have a make or model in mind there is so much to see and so many places to see it. Sometimes it's better to stick with what you know.
    Years ago we weren't brand snobs but the past 5 times have actually settled on the same brand and updated model for The Golfer. After many changes of low cost 2nd hand motors I lashed out and bought new for my previous car - had it 14 years before I updated (so so loved that car) - not so keen on this one. Things change in that time, shape and feel isn't the same but it goes like the clappers on the open road and is definitely saving cash on fuel.
    Am getting whiffs of that new car smell!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, modern consumers are so spoilt for choices, the decision is difficult. As for cars, they all just work brilliantly now. In the first five years, the worst that can happen is flat tyre or a dead battery.

      It sounds like you get attached to cars, as I do. I never want to move on, although I was happy to move on to a car with air conditioning.

      A new car to replace your old one may well use half the petrol. Go for it. I don't recall if you have mentioned that you have children, but regardless, if you have, I am sure they are doing ok. Spend the money on things for your pleasure.

      Delete
  8. Never driven a car in my life, but the beer fairy was a interstate truck driver for years but now he said enough is enough and there is no car here at all and no-one drives.
    A lot of walking is done or public transport.
    Merle.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I noted in the past that the Beer Fairy does not drive now, in spite of his job. I really get that and good on him.

      Delete
  9. Looks good Andrew, did you get your new car in black? My car is black and I'm kind of wishing now I'd picked the steely grey.. no, I love my black, just harder to keep clean! Happy motoring, it'll be off to the country every weekend now oui!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, the traded in one is dark iridescent blue and shows the dirt as probably as badly as your black one. We have gone for silver this time. We don't do much in the way of country drives now.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for commenting on my blog.
    I had a Mazda, just have given it away to youngest son, he needs it more than I do.
    It's a good feeling not to be pestered by a pushy salesperson when buying a car, it's bliss actually.
    Enjoy your new vehicle, the pair of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you WA. I have just been back reading your blog. Very interesting and as we seem to have a number of readers in common, I should have caught yours before.

      Delete
  11. You made me look up what a SUV is, now I know ! I bought last October a Toyota Yaris hybride and am very happy with it, doesn't consume nearly no petrol because it switches automatically from petrol to electricity which is especially interesting in the city ! Last time I made 670 km with only 32 l of petrol !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I should have explained the term. Yours is amazingly economical and I am pleased you are still happy with it.

      Delete
  12. oh hooray for a new car. I'm still loving mine, she's so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish we had the new one now, while I have a week off work.

      Delete