Thursday, September 18, 2014

Rebuilding Hadrians Wall

Am I qualified to comment on the the yes or no vote for Scotland? Of course I am. I have some Scottish heritage but I have never followed it through. If you knew my full name, that is all four names, they are Scottish. That may or may not be a co-incidence, but I don't think my two family names are.

Hel's wrote a post about the Scots that astonished me, not so much for the content, as interesting as it was, but the very fact that I knew nothing about the details she wrote about. Take a look here

But the days of a great Scotland have passed. When Scotland votes, and there may be a result of the vote by the time this is published, should the result be yes, then they will have to fall on there own resources, tourism, which will never diminish unless the facilities decline and they could well do so if the North Sea oil and gas reserves are depleted or no longer required. It would be a good world if the need for oil declined, as humans transferred to renewable energy. It could certainly happen, and not in the too far future. Where would Scotland's wealth originate from then? The European Community won't prop the country up without quid pro quo. Swap your British masters for Euro masters?

Hadrians Wall was built in Roman times to keep the marauding Scots and Picts (a little knowledge is a dangerous thing) out of England. It may have to be rebuilt to keep out the poverty stricken Scots.

Scotland has done very well by the threat of leaving Britain. Please, what in our memory would have had our Queen utter, 'You need to think very carefully before you vote'. Pity she did not say that before Thatcher was elected.

In an extraordinary self debasement, even PM Cameron said, I won't be around forever. Reading between the lines, you may hate Tory governments but the pendulum swings between Labour and Tory.

I have folder for my Scottish tartans. Yes there is more than one. I will choose the nicest looking. Quite understated  really, but classic.

VOTE NO


PS I am bringing this forward to 9pm the day before it was going to be published while voting is still underway. Maybe it will be picked up by a young impressionable gay lad who thinks the old gay Australian with Scottish heritage is a wise man, or possibly just thinks more accurately, I am a tosspot. But I may influence a vote. Who knows?

Later edit: Do have the question that was asked wrong? Comments indicate I may have. I meant vote no to Scottish independence. 

19 comments:

  1. Looking at the bigger picture as a Scot I would be voting No, although sometimes I can see their point .. the way the Federal government treats WA is a shocker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, yes. Should the worst happen and they do leave, England will have no one to blame but themselves.

      Delete
  2. Fingers and toes crossed. And thank you for sending me to Hels blog. Fascinating and new. And a frightening reminder of some of the dangers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pleasure EC. As I type, I think I am about to find out who won.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, let's wait. Maybe it will be surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I think No will prevail, but there is never a sure thing.

      Delete
  4. As is known it's alway ok to be a small fish in a small pond but the world is a ocean not so safe.
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant Merle. Wish I had thought of it.

      Delete
  5. My children have Scots heritage through their father's ancestry, they're entitled to wear the MacGregor Tartan if they wish.
    I haven't paid much attention to what is going on over there, I hope everything is very carefully considered before any vote is cast. Standing on their own after so many years otherwise can be difficult. A lot of changes will have to be fought through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it would have led to some very interesting times, and who wants to live in interesting times.

      Delete
  6. Fortunately they didn't listen to you and voted for Yes ! As usual business and money won over nationalists ! What would have Scotland done all alone in the EU ? Would have been an economical disaster in my opinion. The Scots living here in Belgium were all for staying with the UK, they see it from the outside not living in the country. I think they also feared for their jobs !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Gattina, they voted no to an independent Scotland, which is how I wanted them to vote. Interesting observations. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. They made the right decision in the end. I was interested in what would have happen to our flag. It could have been a chance to get rid of the Union Jack in the corner forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting point Diane. We might have just lost the cross of St Andrew from the flag and not the Union Jack. A disaster then.

      Delete
  8. I like your tartan. My husband has Sottish heritage....but I am personally pleased the 'yes' vote won! But then again I feel one would have to live in Scotland to understand it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, one of the most interesting things I heard was Scots saying that they have different values to the English. I read into that a more caring society and closer family links. As you say, you probably have to live there.

      Delete
    2. WA, I guess you mean the No vote, the winner.

      Delete
  9. While it might make sense for them to stay you kind of have to consider the fact that they were forcefully taken over and occupied into submission just like ireland and fought a long resistance war trying to regain freedom
    as an american equivalent it'd be like offering native american indians a vote to have their own freedom or join the us (ignoring the fact they're techically already free/independent on their reservations we put them on and let them have)
    it's a little backhanded and it's not like they've been treated with the respect they deserve it's just an unhappy marriage where they're better together even though they really can't stand eachother

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BT, thanks. I really like the unhappy marriage comparison. It seems they will continue to be unhappily married but with a few adjustments to the living circumstances.

      I am not so sure about 'letting them have their reservations', of what was their land, but it is the same in Australia where we let our native people 'have some land'.

      Delete