Monday, September 29, 2014

I was but once a skinny lad

Will I ever regain my 58kg (128 US pounds, UK 9 stone) weight? Probably only when I am dying of cancer and I won't be so pretty then. These are from the early 1980s.

Strike a pose. I am waiting for R to suggest we use his Senior Citizen rail pass to visit the Begonia Festival in Ballarat. I shall say no, as the train will be full of fun loving and happy old women out for adventure and I will feel sad that my mother is not one of them. Besides, the women will think that because we are gay, we will be great fun. It ain't necessarily so, although apparently when we were in Paris, we were. 'You two looked liked you would be fun when you boarded the bus', one remarked. She must have noted we looked hungover. Beautiful French wine as we lunched and cruised down the Seine and chumming up with an American and Scottish pair of lasses may well have made us good company. God how we laughed, as the sights of Paris passed by almost unnoticed. I think I saw Notre Dame and a pair of lovers canoodling on the Left Bank. It was hard work later climbing the Eiffel Tower....oh, we caught the lift. Actually, the worst was English customs later at Gare du Nord.


Blue Mountains. What was I holding in my hand? It must be my skinny medication.  I loved that shirt. I doubt I could button it now over my bosooms. I don't miss the homosexual moustache.  #Harry Highpants


Milton Street, Elwood, my hands demonstrating the length of who knows what? #Harry Highpants.


23 comments:

  1. Andew as a young man you were so slim I can say thin. So I think now you look better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably was too thin Gosia, but I ate more then than I now do.

      Delete
  2. We were all thin once but we are more interesting now, well thats my story.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree Merle. I like people to look like they have lived a good life.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I was ever that thin. And won't be - except in the ugly circumstances you flagged.
    Begonia festival? Count this old lady in. Some day.
    And I love the Blue Mountains.
    Love the photos of you. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ED getting old and going to the begonia festival has been a long running joke for us and friends, but not so funny now we are getting to the age to do it.

      Delete
  4. Who's a pretty boy then.....I was similar had a 28in waist for years - luckily havent increased to much in my old body now 30in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your are doing well then Allan. Maybe I am an inch or two more than you. I looked terribly gay back then. That disappeared.

      Delete
  5. Wow, I think I was only 58kg for a single morning when I was sick, many years ago. I did struggle mightily to stay 60kg in my twenties and managed it by eating one meal a day and being hungry all the time. Those days are long behind me now though I do miss being slim.
    "The women will think that because we are gay, we will be great fun"- ha, yes! That must get very annoying! (Do you also get women trying to recruit you as a "gay best friend" like in the movies?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, maybe it is not so healthy carrying too much weight, but I am sure it is not healthy to be miserable and hungry all the time.

      Yes, we have been targeted for recruit at times, but we are selective. Fun straight women may not be the most reliable of friends.

      Delete
  6. You look like you could use a good feed of steak and potatoes! Gosh those pants were tight!
    I wouldn't mind being my eighties (53kg) weight again either, but it isn't going to happen anytime soon. Like you said, when we are dying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, 53kg! That is light. Tight pants were the fashion then. I still find some men look sexy in them, some, I emphasise.

      Delete
  7. ahhhh the fashions back then hehe. And the hairdos - oh dear!

    Everyone looked so contained in the 1950s, like hippies in the 1960s.. and discotequish in the 1970s and early 80s :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, not too many made more of a hair statement or a tight pants statement than your mate Issi.

      Delete
    2. Issy Dy? I remember him, vaguely. I had a regular customer at Coles who had the hairdo and tight pants, we called him Issy Dy.

      Delete
    3. River yes, him. He plays the pub circuit now for old age pensioners. He is a good entertainer.

      Delete
  8. Love the hairdo back then:). Well I was as skinny as a rake when younger. So pleased to have weight on now. Most of us put some on as we get older, always in the wrong places too....but best to be healthy....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, ex Sis in Law used to complain my hair was different every time she saw me. It ain't now. Generally skinny older people don't look so good. Have you seen that photo of the tanned and emaciated old woman in the bikini?

      Delete
    2. I have seen photos as you describe, they are disgusting!

      Delete
  9. Classic ! Oh it's such fun to look back at old photos, we all thought we were soooo cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, only in retrospect do I think I should have thought I was so cool. I didn't feel like that then.

      Delete
  10. I was thin when I was a party girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speeding and not eating was it Fen?

      Delete