Tuesday, September 30, 2014

I am a moaner

The call came at an inconvenient time while we were visiting a friend in hospital. I did not answer it. It was from Australia Post. I later received an email, my preferred method of communication. I had complained to them about our missing mail, that is two bills that were not delivered to us and the first we knew about them was when were contacted about overdue bills.

I take some pride in always paying things on time and I was mega pissed orf and so I complained to Australia Post about undelivered mail. R rolled his eyes as I was telling a friend about it and then said 'I really wish you would not do such things. You are always complaining about something.'

Yet, if you don't complain, things don't get changed. I have had many things changed over the years by complaining. Mostly small things admittedly but some bigger things. I have made a difference.

People, businesses and organisations need to know when they fail.

We argued slightly about missing mail and R said, we will worry about missing mail when it happens. It could be too late then, I responded.

Only later I thought of car registration or driving licence renewals going missing. Yes Mr R, tell me about when you are caught unlicensed or driving an unregistered car!

You may remember I complained to Metro Trains a while ago about he disgusting toilets at the major city train station Flinders Street. I had a spare few minutes between trains last week and I checked them, and oh, the stench of stale urine. The appearance may have been a little better, but who would want to hang around to check when the stink would drive you out. Sometimes in Europe you pay to use toilets, sometimes not, but they are invariably clean and odour free. It can't be that hard to have toilets like that here. So, chalk that up as a fail on my part. I might have a crack at the Minister for Transport about that one.

Can I be bothered about a tram full of seats looking like this? No. The state of them will surely become apparent to the tram seat replacement person. A start had been made, but this one should be in a orange fabric to indicate is for the use of those with special needs. Don't you love that term.




16 comments:

  1. Andrew, each place in the world has pluses and minuses. But at my place the post also doesn't work properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, ours used to be quite good, but now is losing money and they are cutting back the services.

      Delete
  2. I am also a complainer. But I send thank you letters and emails as well.
    On the complaining front? Some wins, some abject failures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, I do the same if something is extra good. It should not be necessary for normal service.

      Delete
  3. I'm a great one for returning goods when I am not satisfied.I often get an eye roll fro TOH but I nearly always get an exchange or refund without complaint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I wonder if there are ever matched couples who both complain in a similar manner. Not in my experience.

      Delete
  4. I will complain from time to time, if I have the energy. We put up with an awful lot of rubbish these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, we do put up with a lot. The amount of incompetence by people is amazing.

      Delete
  5. Complaining is always worth while, as long as the complaints are carefully thought out, clearly stated and politely put.

    I had luggage stolen in Italy and whinged and carried on to my insurance company for months. I got absolutely nowhere. Finally my husband rang and said if his wife's insurance claim was not settled within 24 hours, they could expect to see the case debated on This Day Tonight at 7 PM.

    His rationality was rewarded. The cheque was in the mail within 24 hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite so Hels. There may be time to raise a voice but it usually gets you nowhere. A good win by your husband for you.

      Delete
  6. I have a moan of my own. Several local bank branches here have recently changed their operating hours. There isn't enough in bank traffic, so they are opening now only from noon to 4pm. I heard on the news tonight that one such bank has just been closed. Other banks that have changed hours will follow suit within a month. Including mine. We are being told there are several other branches, "here-here and here", none of which I can walk to. grumble grumble grumble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I don't know that that has happened here, but if it is there, it will come here.

      Delete
  7. Andrew, I totally agree with your principles. Complain (politely and rationally,as has been mentioned) if the service isn't up to scratch, and compliment if it is exceptional. If we don't complain about bad service then the bad service becomes the norm. I have a funny feeling about the Post's attitude that I've seen before and which leaves me rather confused. It's also reflected in my interpretation of R's attitude. Simply put, if you don't receive any sort of communication, who should be responsible for finding out why? It can't be the (intended) recipient since there's no way to backtrack something that never happened, it has to be up to the sender - so our complaint has to be 'you say you sent it, we never rceived it - you can track what you say happened, we cannot possibly track (back) what didn't happen at our end. Sorry, convoluted, but see my point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your point and if you don't know mail is missing, you can't do much about it. In this case we know they sent it and we know we did not receive it, so it is over to Aus Post.

      Delete
  8. The male toilets at FSS main concourse are disgusting in that the overpowering stench of the 'disinfectant' tablets spread so liberally do not overcome the ... Need I continue? I find the toilets in the much-maligned Elizabeth Street subway much better, as are the toilets at Spencer Str..., er, sorry, Southern Cross. But, when all is said and done, stainless steel bogs will always lose out big time to real, porcelain facilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I have not been in the Elizabeth Street ones for a while, but from memory, you are correct. FSS are just unbelievable.

      Delete