Monday, September 01, 2014

High Rise tech stuff

I won't bore you with the details until after I have a full response to my complaint to Telstra but the Tbox and the new combined router modem did arrive.


This is the not so old digital recorder on the shelf under the bowl. It weighs about four times as much as the Tbox, and while it is superior for digital recording, the Tbox does the job adequately.


It also has a much smaller footprint. It does not have the skip ahead function to deal with ads, but only fast foward. It is slower to respond. I don't think the storage capacity for recordings is as large and the electronic programme guide is not as good, but as I said, it is adequate. R has played with it more than I have and he is happy with it. The remote control is not crowded with buttons you never need use, and to my surprise, like the old one, it has a dual tuner, meaning you can record two shows on different networks while watching a recorded show or watch one network while recording another. The word network as I use it, describes all the channels from one broadcaster, such as ABCTV, ABC2, ABC3 and News24, meaning you can record two or more of the one network with one tuner.


The new modem lit up beautifully. What a pitiful shame it did not work. Part of my complaint is the amount of time we spent on the phone to the Telstra call centre in the Philippines. This entailed another call. Our old modem was 13 years old and was connect to 'system 2' whatever that is. We had to be switched to 'system 3'. No matter how many times I have tried to correct it, they have our address as the building number only and not our apartment number. Once again this played a part in the confusion. Funny, the billing department has the address correct. Once they did their part, all was good. Last time I checked, our download speed was about 8mb per second, it is now 15 mb per second, but I don't really notice the difference. It is a lot more stable though. Clearly the old one did need replacing, and it is nice to not have a separate router. Once it connected the cable to the desktop, I had to put in the code number into the Tbox, the tv, 2 phones, 1 notebook and 1 tablet. They all connect instantly now.


Oh yes, when the little man was here putting the new tv on the wall, the electrician was here installing my new bedroom fan. While the fan unit is much the same, the remote control is different, somewhat slimmer and neater.

18 comments:

  1. Andrew, great modern gadgets but the they work properly. What a shame but it is typical situation. I believe shortly will be better. Good luck with your tech stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, things are working quite well now. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Sigh. I do appreciate a lot of what technology gives/offers us, but the nuts and bolts (and the technicians and sales staff) do my head in. Starting with the time when I was still at work when there was a training course on how to operate the photocopier. A training course which was necessary if you wanted to use the beast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, and you had to forget all you knew about the roneo machine once you mastered the photocopier. We have lived in very changing times.

      Delete
  3. "Funny, the billing department has the address correct."
    Isn't that true of all departments world wide. They have much more interest in your money than in any service they are supposed to provide. I'm glad you got it all sorted and working though. It seems odd the T-box would only have a fast forward function instead of a skip for the ads. That's a step backwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, lack of skip is a step back for us, but it comes with Foxtel channels, and they want us to watch the ads.

      Delete
  4. I leave all that to The Golfer - as long as I get a reasonably fast signal I'm not bothered with where or how it arrives lol
    Granted I'm not a happy chappy if it fails but then neither is his nibs either - that's his dept so I let him sort it out!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I wish I had someone to do that for me. Instead I am the one who does it and it is a constant learning process. Keeps the neurons travelling around, I suppose.

      Delete
    2. Compared to a lot of friends my age I'm a wizz kid and I suppose if i was on my own and 'had to' do all those things I'd make more of an effort.
      He's not much cop in the kitchen so it evens itself out somewhere along the line lol
      Cathy

      Delete
    3. When you have been together for a certain time, roles fall to the person who does something best. I am really good about the theory of cooking, just not so much in the practice.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like things are ticking over nicely in the Highrise then :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Fen. We are pretty pleased with the new modem. But I am not up to having my own website yet!!!

      Delete
  6. Two nights into my USA stay and it appears internet connection here (courtesy of my Los Angeles hotel's WiFi service) is pretty stable and slightly faster than I enjoy at home.

    The next test will be tomorrow when we move to a private apartment in New York.

    For some reason so far, I am blocked from viewing the Sydney Morning Herald site. The page will open, but the screen darkens and I cannot scroll down the page or view further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Victor. I have usually had poor experiences with hotel wi fi. I assume it is free wi fi.

      You could try as I do to read The Age without subscribing. Tack /nsw on to theage.com.au and see how that goes. In my case I put /vic or /nsw on to the end of the brisbanetimes.com.au, which seems to be free.

      Delete
  7. I am afraid I don't understand a thing, lol !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, in a couple of months I will have forgotten how it all works.

      Delete
  8. OMG! All that technology is doing my head in :) I have a much better solution to ALL OF THAT Andrew, it works like this, if I miss a program.. c'est la vie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I used to be like that. I could not miss an episode of anything. I have changed and it makes life easier.

      Delete