Friday, September 26, 2014

Happy Tenth to Moi

I was a reader of Daniel Bowen's blog for a time. I realised that I had started to write very long comments on his blog. I thought I should start my own blog. Full of complete ignorance, I emailed Daniel and he pointed me to Blogspot. I did it, that is set up this blog. It was ten years ago to this day.

Initially there were few comments and most of those who did back then have moved on. I have not forgotten them though.  I wrote a post decrying why there weren't older people writing blogs, and Lord Sedgwick stepped up to the crease and suggested some people. I started to read them. They commented on my posts in return and then I consider my blog took off. I've, nay we,  met the people Lord Sedgwick suggested and like them heaps. That is Copperwitch, Annie O'Dyne and Pants, along with Lord Sedgwick. Gosh, it was stressful though. R and I met them together for a nice lunch and concluded Copperwitch is lovely and lacks artifice, Annie O'Dyne crazy and so full of life and given we have accepted the hospitality of Pants, I can't say anything negative about her, not that there is anything negative to say. She is a fun conversationalist and a good host. One of my readers is a friend who I knew pre blog times. Take a bow Wombat.

So many people have come and gone in my blog. I am quite silly because I actually become fond of people who I get to know via my my blog and when they disappear, I feel quite sad to lose the connection. I especially remember the American Daisy and someone who I used to name as LiD, but there are others too, such as Craig in Ayrshire.  But of course I do understand how people begin blogs and then give them up. There have been times I have been tempted to conclude mine. I suppose I have dropped a few people over the years too, most likely because I did not feel a connection. I can only remember a few.

I went further and we met Victor from Sydney, who was exactly as I expected, that is a very nice gay man and no doubt we will meet again.

I met Dina, who was lovely, even if the situation felt surreal.

Some of you long time readers may remember that if I wasn't working Thursday, I would catch the train to Murrumbeena where Sister then lived and R went on Thursdays to look after Little Jo as a baby and then a toddler. Jayne and her son came along to the park where we used to take Little Jo one evening and met us. Another Jayne so generously sent me a cd of music. There were so many people over the years who I could have met but did not, for whatever reason. There are people I would still like to meet. Some of the easiest people to meet, I haven't as yet. I am actually quite shy, especially when meeting for the first time.

And then a wider world opened to me with people in foreign countries. It was just too hard to meet Peter in Amsterdam given how organised out time was during our Euro cruise. We were one hour in Brussels and I kind of wish I asked Gattina to meet us at the station but she too was busy with her life.

But it is not all about me when meeting people. R is dragged into my blog life, and it is about him too when we are both meeting people. Fortunately meeting Jane and Lance in Budapest and Marie in London went down a treat with him and what a wonderful time they showed us.

It is quite odd really to publish my diary online and there are many things that you don't know about me. If I sound like I live a magical and fulfilling life, I don't. The alarm going off at 4.30am some days and at times finishing work at 3am is not fun. I work fairly long hours in a quite a stressful job.  If I sound like I have lots of money, I don't. It is all relative of course but we live fairly modest lives, with only an occasional show, dinner out maybe once a week friends and or family catch ups. Yes, we spend money on our home, but we spend a lot of lives and time here. Five or six nights a week, R cooks our evening meal.

So, ten years later, nearly 6,000 posts and nearly 1,000,000 hits, I am still here and for better or worse, my blog is part of my life. I thank you all for your wonderful blogs and for our interactions.

35 comments:

  1. Happy Blogoversary! I know I don't comment as much as I used to but I still read every day. That may well be true of many others too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott, as many seem to do. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Happy blogoversary - and many more of them.
    And yes, I have become very attached to some of the people I have found here. And envy you meeting Copperwitch and Ann O'Dyne. Despite being shy to the point of anti-social.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I think they were the first people I met. They both made me feel very at ease. I suppose I got a word in edgeways.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, I amire you. Your blog is fantastic. Writing daily is a challenge when you work full-time. 10 years so long period. Happy Anniversary. See you tomorrow. Love from Bytom. Never GIVE UP...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed 100%. i only write twice a week and that is exhausting enough.

      Well done, Andrew! Great to have met fellow bloggers!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Gosia. I like to have many posts on the go and so if I am short of time, I can quickly finish one and then apologise for its poor state.

      Hels, on the odd occasion when I put huge effort into a post, there is often few comments. Believe me, I know the work that goes into your posts.

      Delete
  4. Ten years and writing everyday that's pretty good, Happy Anniversary, I'm a lot newer than that, no great writer so that's why so many pictures.
    Merle.................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, you may not be a great writer, but your blog seems to be very well liked and popular. I like yours because you share something of your life.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the longevity Andrew - here's to the next 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allan. Am I being too proud to think you often read my blog?

      Delete
    2. I'm a silent reader - and a regular one at that.

      Delete
    3. Not always silent though. If hits are indicators, I have many silent readers.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Cheers Walt, and what a terrific lot I have learnt from your and Ken's blogs.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on ten years! You've met up with quite a few people over that time! I'd like to meet Copperwitch myself, but I know I would sit there like a lump on a log, because I truly do not know what to say to people in real life and I worry that someone, anyone, will think I'm as dull as a lump on a log.
    Anyway..I'm glad I found your blog, I think I met you via Kath Lockett.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you could very easily sit like lump on a log, and CW would just chat on. She struggles hard with life, but always comes across as having it together and has a good self deprecating sense of humour. Yes, I forgotten that we met via Kath.

      Delete
  8. Hello Andrew
    Reading this in Athens airport - moving on to another part of our trip.
    Congratulations on your blog- versary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. I hope things are going well.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations, that is such a milestone.
    It is wonderful to meet fellow bloggers, I just met one of mine :) such a lovely person.
    People come and people go unfortunately, but that happens in life as you know..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WA, indeed you did meet a fellow blogger. I was surprised how long you have known each other via your respective blogs. Yes, people do come and go in real life and in blogs, but you can't help but miss them. I miss some people in real life too.

      Delete
  10. I started blogging in 2006 where nobody knew over here what a blog was. I thought about in what language I should write and decided for English because then I thought people all over the world may discover my blog. German and French is only limited to these two countries.
    I love to meet blogfriends and I am not busy when I can meet them unless I am away on holidays. That must have been the reason we couldn't meet, because otherwise I would have run to the station to meet you !
    I also have real blog friends and we email to each other besides blogging. I lost already 3 they died. That was so sad, and the worst thing is their blogs are hanging in Internet forever, with a mention of a family member that this person has passed away. Yes and then some of them just stopped for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, we are very pleased you chose to write in English. I dread the day someone I know dies. So in two years, you will be a ten year blogger.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on reaching this milestone. I agree with you about having a connection to people you interact with, but may not necessarily know. I have an imagined view of you :)

    A few years ago there were several blogger meetups I attended which I enjoyed very much. http://jamesobrien.id.au/2008/02/24/glbti-bloggers-meetup/
    http://jamesobrien.id.au/2007/04/26/normal-bloggers/sydney-blogger-meetup/

    Blogging has definitely changed in the last decade, with many of the reasons why people blogged now being replaced by social media. I think there's a strong role for more sustained writing in an era where it's so easy to publish online, and therefore the posts tend to be shorter.

    The only thing I hate? Spam from people who are professional bloggers or marketers. Eeek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. The era of blogging as I do has passed, as you say. But I enjoy doing it and enjoy the interaction, which is mostly with people around my age or a little older, ok, yes a little younger too :-P. I am not sure that I write in a sustained manner, but I guess there is always something that interests someone. I have learnt the 'push button' subjects but I don't use them injudiciously.

      Marketing spam does not last long on my blog, if it gets through.

      Btw, I am not nearly as handsome and ripped as you may imagine.

      Delete
  12. Happy blog birthday! Ten years really is quite a milestone.

    Should I send you another CD to celebrate? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne. Not necessary. I enjoyed the most of music on the cd you sent, but I am not much of one for music.

      Delete
  13. Congrats Andrew. And, er, thanks for not finding anything negative to say. I and my self-esteem will be forever grateful that you didn't try harder.

    Love to you and R and you'll always be welcome in Larrikin's End.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meeting you Pants, makes everything worthwhile. What a delightful time we had in Larriken's End.

      Delete
  14. Huge congrats Andrew, that's no small achievement. I'm not sure if non bloggers realise quite how much we put into each post. I've also met a few blogger friends, always fun. Oh la wonder if I'll last the distance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, blogging has come at the expense of reading books and newspapers and slothfully sitting and watching tv. Photos take time to manage and so do serious posts that require research. Often the two go together. Are you as famous in Perth as you ought to be? So when we come to Perth....

      Delete
    2. I have been invited to take photos at different events and can you believe I was listed in the paper as 'best Perth travel blog' how hilarious is that :) but I have serious doubts that I'll ever be famous :)

      Delete
  15. Happy Blogday, I for one am glad to have stumbled across your little corner of the interwebs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I can honestly say, my blog would not be what it is today without you. I look forward to your occasional posts and follow you on social media. Have you worked out how you will be active while you are overseas? Btw, you are one of the 'easy' people, meant in the nicest way.

      Delete
    2. I haven't thought about it yet to be honest. I will be staying with people who I would assume have wifi, so hopefully will be able to hook in via that. I know my Berliners definitely do.

      Delete