Thursday, September 11, 2014

Foreign Dining

It was a few weeks ago now, but with four friends we went to the German Club in Dandenong Road. It is place I have been curious about. It is on a large block of land that would sell for millions of dollars, so I don't know how long it can remain viable. Nevertheless, it was busy enough with diners, but people weren't pumping money into the club by playing the poker machines.

The food was adequate and not expensive. The service was ok. But there was little to attract us back. It was interesting to see who the various varieties of Germans are who live in Melbourne. We have black Germans and Asian Germans, but most were traditional German people. Yes, made an effort to hear the black and Asian Germans speak, and they did speak either German or with a German accent. I was accidentally served in front of a well dressed German woman at the bar. Anecdotally, German people will quickly protest if something is wrong, and she did. I had already had a glass of wine and so my usual reticence to engage was overcome and I made an effort to apologise for the staff person's mistake and thoroughly charmed the frau.

It also goes by the name Club Tivoli. I am pleased we went. The sauerkraut was rather nice, but then I have only had it once before in Thailand.


8 comments:

  1. Adequate food that's not expensive. It sounds like a winner to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, maybe it was the decor that let the place down a bit. It wasn't bad but felt a little dated.

      Delete
  2. Sauerkraut in Thailand.. absolutely :) sounds like quite a pleasant experience Andrew, not one you want to repeat, but not one that you hated right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct Grace. The Sauerkraut in Thailand was delicious.

      Delete
  3. Sauerkraut has no positive memories for me. At all.
    Good that you had a pleasant, if not amazing, evening though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I can imagine it is not to everyone's taste.

      Delete
  4. Andrew, I love German food because it is the same as Polish cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beer and sausages Gosia?

      Delete