Friday, September 05, 2014

Cry me a River

It would be very unusual for me to have seen an international performer and if I have then I've had to pay, I expect.

However at Melbourne's gay and lesbian Midsumma Carnival a few years ago, we stood quite close to the stage to watch Dulcie's Dog Show hosted by drag queen Dulcie de Jour with guest judge Dr Hugh Wirth from the Royal Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals and US comedian Joan Rivers.

She was terrifically entertaining. Her cutting and well targeted  wit was very appropriate and well tuned for her particular audience. She also knew some self deprecating humour would go down well, and it did.

I am sad to hear such a treasure has died. You could just tell that under her plastic face was a real plastic person. (she would have worked on that line until it was actually funny)

Here she is as we will remember her.


Although this is about 1968 I think and she looks older! I quite like this photo taken by Norman Shearer for Look  magazine.


Why not a little You Tube video where Joan is the victim of a practical joke. It is a bit long at 11 minutes. The set up is explained and the aftermath is shown, with Joan being under the impression she was meeting former Prime Minister of England, the late Maggie Thatcher.

13 comments:

  1. Am I correct remembering that she has recently died?
    I don't know much about her, haven't seen much of her in anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did die River, reported this morning on our ABC. She was very crass and vulgar, yet had such a cutting wit.

      Delete
  2. I think her humour was clever but hurtful at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, she did cut to the bone. Hurtful? My brain is running through things. If she wasn't self deprecating, I may have had issues with her very strong barbs.

      Delete
    2. Andrew

      I saw her on tv, not in a stand up comedy performance but helping a family in her capacity as a fashion expert. Yes she was elderly (an excuse?), but her language was really cruel.

      Delete
    3. Aren't all fashionistas cruel?

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed that 11 minutes very much Andrew, merci beaucoup. She may have not appealed to some but I think under all that brass she was a lovely person and will be missed sorely by her family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You actually watched it Grace? I think just from skerricks picked up, you may well be right that underneath she was quite a nice person.

      Delete
    2. I did watch it and Andrew... Quite enjoy those 'prank' things :)

      Delete
  4. Andrew, strange, sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, perhaps she does not translate well for you.

      Delete
  5. Apparently she has received 75,000 new followers on Twitter since her death. I imagine that knowledge would have had her laughing heartily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, why would people begin following a dead person? Is the world mad? S'pose maybe they want to back read. Yes, I can imagine what she would have done with that knowledge.

      Delete