Thursday, August 14, 2014

Up against the wall

R said he wanted it up against the wall. Whatever was he referring to? Oh, the tv. He got a little man in who did a good job and also got the leads into the wall. The wall has no timber studs, only metal straps and it was quite challenging. I am not going to tell you what the cost was. Even the spendthrift R said, it could wait when I suggested a new el cheapo dvd player for $50 with a remote control that worked. The only time the dvd is used is when Little Jo is here and we can control it manually from the front panel.

R is a little regretful he did not get it hard against the wall and instead it is on a swivel. Not wishing to spend any more money, I said it is fine and I actually like the way it appears to float, and I do.

Much work was done to the cabinet below that we intend replacing once we find the right thing. Some of the back was jigsawed out so that it will sit better against the wall. The cd stereogram was moved and looks much better and the speakers are now close to each other, giving much better sound. What you say? That is not correct? We once had monster speakers in our lounge room many years ago, and beautifully placed they were for the best possible sound quality. These horrid little tucked away speakers is an improvement.

There were the days in Glen Iris when we had to open the doors of the flame mahogany chiffonier to watch tv. When we sold the chiffonier and the rest of our antique furniture on consignment, the man said, some idiot has put holes in the back of it. Guilty. I had to get the wires through. Life has changed and I am not displeased with the change. Minimal works for us, even is Sister says it is cold.

Scrape marks had to be removed from the wall, pencil marks for the art work that was rehung at a higher level had to rubbed out. Inside surfaces were cleaned. Bits were rewired. We really like our efforts. The storage place is great for cds, none bought for a few years, dvds, same, video cassettes, we can still play them in R's bedroom on the combined dvd recorder/vcr player but why would we? What is interesting is all the cds and dvds that have mine or other people's writing on the them. I must go through them one day. There are some treasures there. We also put Little Jo's music together. For each of Little Jo's birthday's, Bone Doctor compiled a cd of her favourite music. We seem to missing year one, but maybe there wasn't one.


To the Port Phillip electric recycling centre will go numerous redundant remote controls, our first digital recorder and our last vcr. The first digital recorder was so nice looking. What a pity it just kept overheating. Our present one that we watch tv through, just works.


Oh yes, Beacon Lighting had our bedroom remote controlled overhead fan lights on special. I bought a new one to replace my not very old but defective and out of warranty model. The same day as the little man put the tv on the wall, a very cute young electrician fitted the new fan.

16 comments:

  1. Andrew, new design. I believe you will be satisfied with your new design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes, quite pleased with the project.

      Delete
  2. Ah yes, the best part of a technology purchase is the 'very cute young electrician' who comes to install it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Victor. I heard R really hit the jackpot this time.

      Delete
  3. Andrew

    I like the position above the book case... it makes your tv look like proper furniture, fitting in with the rest of the objects.

    I once saw a tv that went above the fire place's mantel-piece. At night it was turned on and looked like an ordinary tv screen. But during the day it became a large mirror, much like people have above mantel pieces anyhow.

    Some designers are sooo clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I have heard of those but I haven't seen one. If nicely designed, they would be brilliant.

      Delete
  4. It looks very nice Andrew. Why not use the dvd/vcr to record the vhs tapes onto dvd?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think I have done all the recording I need to. There may be a few tapes that aren't copied, but anything I really want to keep has been.

      Delete
  5. Andrew.. I'm still trying to digest the info that R wanted it hard against the wall :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, also very focused on getting the cabinet hard back against the wall too.

      Delete
  6. Heading into a " carry on" film vein me thinks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misinterpretation John.

      Delete
  7. I want one for our bedroom... hard against the wall, which is possible in our house. I've had it hard against the wall before but never on a swivel. Now THAT sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, the mind boggles.

      Delete
  8. I was wishing I had a video player last night, I got sentimental and wanted to watch old videos. If I only knew where said videos were!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bugger. I would have like to have given it to someone who could use it.

      Delete