Sunday, August 10, 2014

Sunday Selections

Check out River, Elephant's Child and Jackie efforts for this Sunday.

We roamed Mother's garden collecting camellia blooms. I had no idea she has about ten camellia bushes.


R bought himself some new bedding. While I like it, it doesn't go well with the colour of the feature wall. I have heard murmurings of a wall colour change, in all three bedrooms.


It is wonderfully peaceful and quiet out on the balcony on Sunday mornings, with few trams and little traffic. Balloons were in the distance as the sun rose.


Looking in another direction is a departing container ship on Port Phillip Bay with Albert Park Lake, once a swamp, in the foreground.


And then there were these mad bastards, some of whom ran past The Highrise when it was still dark. Yes, I was up before the sun rose.


Our friend Manny in Malaysia has been in Australia. Coffee and tea is his business. He gave us this tea. We rarely drink tea, but I expect we will get to it.



The finished McDonald's brightly lit by the reflected sun.


I find bare elm trees very beautiful. It was a strong northerly wind and the branches were swaying.


And the leaves on the shrubbery opposite shimmered in the harsh morning light as they danced with the wind.


To celebrate the purchase of our new television, we stopped off at the way home at the West Beach Bather's Pavillion for a late lunch. It may appear to be warm, but it was not. Nevertheless, sunny is good.


16 comments:

  1. I love the elegance of bare-bones trees. Pared back beauty.
    And I am a balloon tragic.
    I prefer the cold to hot weather - but blue skies add immeasurably to the pleasure of the day.
    Not light here yet - but the early signs are good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, as how I think of the bare trees. We've had a lot of grey weather this year. It can be depressing.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, In my opinion view from balcony is very interesting. I love city view so I love walking and living in big cities. Your McDonald doesn't look well I prefer European design.I love the beach even in the wintertime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always some activity in the city, Gosia. No, Euro McDonalds are nicer.

      Delete
  3. We are in fog again this morning but always means a lovely sunny day coming up.
    Worked in the city of Sydney for years had no desire to live there, it would have to be in the air and like to live on the ground so it's the suburbs for me.
    Merle........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, we are a couple of kilometres from town. I am not sure I would like to live right in town. Enjoy the sunshine.

      Delete
  4. "And then there were these mad bastards, some of whom ran past The Highrise when it was still dark. Yes, I was up before the sun rose". Hmmmm. Poor buggers.

    When I am prime minister, I will insist that employers allow workers to stay in bed on cold, dark winter mornings. Forcing people to get up in the cold and dark is inhumane. Volunteering to do it is lunatic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, as one who occasionally had to rise at the hour of 4.30, I would welcome you Prime Ministership.

      Delete
  5. Ten camellia bushes! I've never been able to grow camellias. I like R's new bedding, but you're right it doesn't go with the wall colour. I'd like to see a new photo once the wall is painted. The beach photo is nice, I'm not looking forward to summer heat though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, pretty hardy I think, although Mother has had trouble with one that is just outside a window. It has flowered this year, but not for two years.

      Delete
  6. We have those crazy people who often run in the streets at ridiculous hours here also and they tend to blow funny noisy horns and yell a lot. We must be patient with them Andrew for they know no better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Rubye, blowing horns is intolerable. I would shoot them.

      Delete
  7. Hello Andrew,

    This is such a wonderfully languid post, perfect for the lazy Sunday morning which we are enjoying right now.

    Fortunately for us, no 'mad bastards' are running and shouting beneath our windows and it is too early for the beer bikes to be pedalling down Andrassy. And it is a heavenly 27C.

    We do like R's bedding. Yes, colour change needed.......no feature wall, perhaps, an aged parent once said that such a decorating trick was very 'newly married'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayLa, not my finest effort but I pleased you enjoyed them.

      Oh the beer bikes, yes. 27 degrees sounds very pleasant for you.

      We have had feature walls off and on over the years, depending on the place and style. We do like the white walls, but it is a little too much with all white, hence the one wall of colour.

      Delete
  8. This is the perfect Sunday selection Andrew, I know I've said it before but I love the view from your balcony.. I too enjoy the starkness of winter trees, to be honest sometimes it's the only way we know it IS winter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, you are speaking for Perth. We have certainly known it has been winter here.

      Delete