Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Snookered

R: "Dearest, do you have anything you want to do today?"
Me: "No, not really, my love.You?"
R: "No."
Me: "We should go into to town to buy a get well card for Little Jo (with her broken arm). Did you know a public library has opened at Docklands? Perhaps we should have a look."
R: "We should take our e-waste to the recycling centre and the go to the big green hardware shed to buy some stone chips for the pot plant, a new plug for my bath and some white silicone sealant for my bathroom."
Me: "I doubt the recycling centre is open on Sunday." I checked online and it was.
Me: "Fine, as long as we can go somewhere for coffee."

Clearly some thought had gone into the day after all. I had been well and truly snookered.

Men, and they are always men, at what used to be the council tips were always gruff. Not so at City of Port Phillip recycling centre. A very pleasant chap told us where to stop to drop off our e-waste. We were the fourth car parked there dropping off e-waste. In the couple of minutes it took us to drop our stuff, four times as much was being dumped. I am so pleased people are using the e-waste facility but I also fear a lot is just dumped into landfill. Truly people, make an effort to ensure your e-waste is recycled.

Our e-waste consisted of old remote controls, our old vcr player and our first digital recorder, that was beautifully styled but kept failing because it overheated, our old computer modem and the not so old wireless router. 

17 comments:

  1. Andrew, you did a great job.Recycling is very important to protect our environment. I have a lot of items which I have to recycle at my apartment remote controls and what is more I don'r remember now. And the old TV from 1990s...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, all taking up space. Get rid of them.

      Delete
  2. I wish we had an e-waste centre. At the moment it is a very expensive process - which encourages people to throw it into landfill. Encouragement that we really, really don't need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I believe in some areas they do charge to take e-waste. I think ours is subsidised by the local council.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of an e-waste facility. It sounds a very good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither have I... but a _very_ good idea!

      On a related topic, beware of charity bins in railway stations and shopping centres. Donors have always expected their donations to go to St Vincent's de Paul or the Salvation Army. But now those charity-containers have been taken away and replaced by commerical, profit making companies :(

      Delete
    2. Diane, ours has been there for some time. I thought most areas would have them, but it seems not.

      Hels, I saw that in the paper this morning. Remember those rag bags years ago, where you could put any clothing in, even it was worn out. I think they were privately run.

      Delete
  4. I've noticed that the Council e-waste collectors in Sydney are also very cheerful and helpful. We even have adjacent Councils where I live who normally are combative towards each other cooperating to to hold combined collections.

    I have wondered whether this cheerfulness might be because the collectors were running a business recycling the collected 'waste' for themselves to use/resell. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, rum and rebellion is alive and well, but really I am not sure they would do that using council facilities, especially given recycling e-waste costs rather than makes a profit. Of course there could occasionally be something quite good that might be kept. Perk of the job.

      Delete
  5. Recycling the e-waste gets a bit difficult when you don't drive, imagine carrying all that stuff for miles on buses! A better idea is the annual kerbside collection, just like the hard rubbish one, but for e-waste. a good system, unless you live in a suburb that doesn't do annual collections....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, kerbside collection is the best. I wonder when we put rubbish out for collection, that the e-waste is kept separate for recycling?

      Delete
    2. Most of Adelaide now has an annual kerbside e-waste collection, I think it should be adopted nationwide as an excellent idea.

      Delete
  6. You always make me smile Andrew.. that 'no plans' day sounds like it turned out to be rather busy.. but good to get these little jobs done. Do you guys over there have a twice yearly 'get rid of everything you don't use but that someone else might' collection. it's fantastic, anything that is still there when the council comes round gets picked up and taken to the appropriate spot at the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, we have a collection four times a year.

      Delete
  7. Oh ok I just saw River's comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have that too and sometimes it's amazing what people are throwing away; The employes working there often recuperate stuff and are quite happy about it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, such workers aren't paid much, so good luck to them.

      Delete