Saturday, August 16, 2014

Our Treasurer Speaks, from his a***

Federal Treasurer Joe Hockey is increasing the tax on vehicle fuel. Fuel tax is not a bad way of controlling the use of cars, reducing traffic congestion and reducing pollution but it does hit the poor very hard.  Ok, not the very poor who can't afford a car, but the working poor and those for whom a government pension is their sole income, who live in outer areas and spend huge amounts on fuel for their cars each week. While I may fill my car fuel tank every two or three weeks, many of my workmates who travel a long way to work fill their cars every two or three days.

I could get quite good public transport to and from work, but using public transport would take a decent chunk of time out of my day with four trips a day, so I don't.

But fancy Treasurer Hockey saying that the car fuel tax increase won't affect the poor, as they either don't have cars, or drive very little. There are many relatively poor people in Australia who are totally car dependant and drive cars as old as my 14 year old car. I suppose I could afford a new car, but I don't choose to buy one. It is not important to me. What about people in the country who aren't farmers and fuel is not an expense to write off? They too can clock up incredible distances.

Treasurer Hockey's stupid statement just shows how out of touch the Liberal Party, (= conservative, republican, tory) is with real people and their lives. 




8 comments:

  1. He has today apologised profusely, essentially saying it is all a terrible misunderstanding. "I am really genuinely sorry that there is any suggestion at all that I or the Government does not care for the most disadvantaged in the community."
    "I am sorry about the interpretation. I am sorry about the words," . Too little, too late Tony. Not only did you say the words you spent the next few days justifying yourself and them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, and with the support of his party members, on camera at least. While I have issues with the both the Labor Party and The Greens at times, why would anyone except for the ultra rich vote Liberal?

      Delete
  2. Oh dear Andrew each time he tried to take his foot out of his mouth he kept digging the hole bigger and deeper!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, so Jolly Joe has revealed himself as an uncaring right wing politician, and neither you nor I are surprised.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, at my place fuel is very expensive comparing to the salaries but for middle class and well off is not the problem. As I know fuelin the US is much more cheaper than in Europe. But a lot of people are dependant on their cars because they live so far. Using public transport is cheaper and comfortable if you live in the city as me. I use trams and buses every day going to school but it takes me 25 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes fuel in the US is absurdly cheap. Our fuel price is less than yours but higher than the US.

      25 minutes from home to work is not bad.

      Delete
  4. Almost every time the gruesome threesome, Abbott, Hockey, Bishop, open their mouths you have to shudder at what might come out :) how many years till the next election!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A scary trio, for sure Grace.

      Delete