Sunday, August 31, 2014

Not Sunday Selections

What to do when you don't have photos for Sunday Selections? You use other people's photos, of course. Apart from the last few Tumblr photos which are reposts of other Tumblr photos, that are reposts of the original poster, they are from various public media and institutions.

These are just photos I have saved because I like them.

Smoking is good for you! I guess she is Japanese Chinese. I wonder if they saved the cigarette tins to make arms?


I did show you the beach that is set up each summer on the banks of the Tyne River in Newcastle, England. This a nice shot and the weather appears to be quite warm.


And they complain about young people being tuned out with buds in their ears on public transport now!


This is the Duchess of Hamilton, by R L Kitterman. Isn't she just lovely. She is known as Coronation Class, built in 1938 and is based at England's National Rail Museum. 1938 and she could travel at 183 km/h, 114 mph. Amazing. The streamlined façade covers over a much more conventional looking train of the time.


Ah, this photo is mine. Yes, we have quite a number of Rolls Royce in Australia.


A little humour.


When my brother was little, he returned home without the jumper he had been wearing when he went out. Where is it, Mother asked. I got hooked on some blackberries, so I took it off. I rather think this machine may have suffered a similar fate. It won't go, Sergeant. Well, leave it there then.


I would like to say this is the fate of the dismantled Sydney Monorail cars, but no, they are from a place unknown to me.


Never mind WTF for the army vehicle. What is this about?


Last but not least, the loneliness of a long distance train. A gorgeous photo of an abandoned train engine in its watery grave. Maybe the water was somewhat higher in the past.


19 comments:

  1. Andrew, In my opinion the picture with the train is the best but the public transport with commuters reading paper is great, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I wonder if the train with people reading papers was a staged photo?

      Delete
  2. What a varied (and fun) post.
    I can remember reading somewhere (and suspect there is no truth in it) that Rolls Royces cannot be towed. For the preservation of the image if they break down they have to be transported in a covered truck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, they break down? All that money and they fail to proceed? I heard a story that a farmer cut one down to make a cabin with a tray at the back and RR came and confiscated the vehicle.

      Delete
  3. Re the smoking being good for you, it depends on the date. Lots of early 20th century ads said bizarre things eg "4 out of 5 doctors recommended smoking for getting rid of lung onfections".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I rather like the word onfections. I am sure it could be useful in some context. Don't forget if you had a cold, menthol cigarettes were the way to go.

      Delete
  4. Nice selection. I like the train coming out of the water.
    Love the toilet humour.
    I remember the days when people read newspapers on their way to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sitting in the water actually, River. Some still do read newspapers. The free evening giveaway is quite popular in Melbourne and Sydney.

      Delete
  5. You made me laugh Andrew.
    I used to take the commuter bus home from the SF Financial District and yes, all those guys did read the paper and I remember being in awe of how quickly they could turn and fold pages without disturbing the person right next to them. Of course, that was before the days of readers and ipads.
    My favorite is the Japanese girl with the cigarette and the "is this all there is" look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, I guess you are talking about broadsheet newspapers. It is an acquired skill and I have it. The girls expression is open to interpretation and I like yours.

      Delete
  6. I think your Sunday selection is the best yet as your comments made me laugh out loud this morning. Favourite photo - prob the dead bus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, so my best work is reposting other's photos, rather than my own? I didn't try to be funny. I should have. The dead bus is an photo, for sure.

      Delete
  7. A great selection. The "technical" illustration... "toiletical" illustration is very funny and just a little disgusting. I love the irony of that newspaper-reading trainload of people. I wonder if any of them were reading articles on the the lack of interpersonal communication in society because everyone buried their heads in the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, I haven't formed an opinion about Australia, but I know in England, toilet humour goes down well. You may well talk about interpersonal communication skills, but they are English.

      Delete
  8. The cigarette girl is Chinese, I'd say.

    See; http://www.ad518.com/article/2011/11/3450.shtml

    Or search for (you might need to enable Chinese characters to view this):

    仙女牌香烟

    Means: (female) fairy brand cigarettes


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mercellous, corrected. I thought the writing looked more Japanese but clearly I was wrong. There are some terrific designs at the link.

      Delete
  9. Five out of your ten pics were train related Andrew :) The Duchess of Hamilton was terribly elegant and the last image is so fabulous, I wish I'd taken it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I categorically deny I am interested in trains. You have no evidence at all.

      Delete