Thursday, August 07, 2014

Just another Thursday

It was Mother Day today. As I was not working, I had to go too. Firstly to ABI Brother's to put together his IRobot vacuum cleaner and sort some things out on his computer, such as why it took fifteen minutes to start up and the hard drive to stop doing things. Such as why he had only the left hand side of his web browser. Such as why his top notch printer was not working. I advised him that when using Face Book, if he 'likes' a photo of Angeli Jolie's tits, his friends will see that. I also realised he has two Face Book profiles and I had not been seeing what he was doing on one of them.

The vacuum cleaner was great fun. Although it was supposed to be charged for 24 hours before it was used, we had to get it to the charging point, which means pressing charge on the unit or using the remote control. There were minimal written instructions, but a dvd, which we did not have time to view. We played it by ear and wrongly placed the charge unit. After knocking over the charger, it roamed around the room willy nilly. ABI Brother, how long since you have vacuumed? Look at all the dirt it has picked up so briefly.

I cleared the area around the charger and the unit then found its charging home. From memory, once the dust container is full, or the the battery is getting low, it will return to the charger. I loved watching it roam around the room though, in its state of confusion. I so wish he had a pet cat or dog to see their reactions. Did I once post one? There are plenty of You Tube videos of pets and robot vacuum cleaners.

We then went to Mother's and carried the tv in. R's back had not been good and carrying a tv set him back, it would seem. See tomorrow's post as to why we were carrying a tv, but the upshot is, we gave our old one to Mother. I had printed out Sister's Face Bookpost from last night, with the photos of Little Jo who is now in plaster with her arm broken in two places. I spoke to her tonight, and she is a little despondent. Next week she is to fly to Townsville with Bone Doctor for BD's grandmother's 90th birthday.

As per usual, Mother was all doom and gloom when we arrived but brightened up as the day went on. We had a nice lunch and left her at the hair salon where her hair, which 'is not grey' was showing significant grey. Because she attends the hairdresser often, I don't actually think she knows. We returned to her house and cleaned and polished and then the hairdresser rang to say come and collect her. I continued cleaning while R collected her, including the lounge room lamp shades and wall art work glass. If only Mother would stop smoking inside the house. R brought back cakes for afternoon tea. For some odd reason while I was cleaning, ABI Brother called into the house three times. I don't know why. Mother was home for his last visit. He said as he departed, if you want any more, you can pay for delivery. Ouch. He was in a grumpy mood. He was on sick leave as he has a cold and apparently has stopped drinking alcohol, again.

We took our leave at 4 o'clock. Bye Mum, love you to bits, but you are so painful at times. I think she was quite excited about her new tv and not use the digital recorder to watch digital tv anymore.

PS, one of her two neighbours next door said hello to her in the street. A more butch bull dyke you would not meet. The 'girls' are kind to her and she adores them, especially as they rehouse abandoned dogs.

15 comments:

  1. Andrew, I admire you did a lot of projects during the day.And you are gifted at many fields.Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosia, knowing a little about a lot is a hard cross to bear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Andrew,

    This sounds like two days work packed into one. You are indeed a handy chap to have around. We are so useless at everything requiring a practical mind that you would be welcome to drop by at any time......now, when is your boat floating by?......we can then get all the little jobs requiring attention ready for you!

    Robot vacuum cleaners.....now, there's a strange idea. Better not let Timea in on the secret!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes JayLa, the ever reliable and practical Andrew. I am cursed by minor abilities. While R is banging on about America and Canada, I am pushing for Prague, which is so close to you and I could visit with a spirit level and ensure your pictures are perfectly balanced.

      I must say though, Timea is under serious threat by modern vacuum cleaners. but then they don't cook for you.

      Delete
  4. I remember cleaning my dad's flat after he had chain smoked in there for years. He was in the hospital, so I started washing what I thought were brown walls and discovered they were a pretty pale lemon shade. All his "brown" furniture came much cleaner too and wasn't brown at all.
    It's nice that you do so much for your mum, and I'm sure she'll love the TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, with the best of intentions Sister began with cloth nappies for Little Jo. Mother soon inherited the cloth nappies, to use as cleaning cloths. I couldn't believe how Motehr's cleaning nappies were so stained by today's cleaning effort.

      Delete
    2. Old nappies make the perfect cleaning cloths. I inherited a stack of them when my grandson was toilet trained and I'm still using the last one now. It's looking a little thin though, with a hole or two here and there.

      Delete
    3. River, we use old tea towels. We replace ours fairly often, so we don't run out of dusters.

      Delete
  5. Oh you're a good son Andrew, love it! As much as you have a little 'whinge' about Mum now and then, it's obvious you love her to bits.. come on admit it :) but smoking inside, oh la! not good! I've wondered about the IRobot, just can't get my head around it doing a proper job :) must check out some of the pet/robot videos..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, her house, she can smoke inside if she wants to, and suffer the consequences. She doesn't when she has visitors.

      I wish we had more time to watch a fully charged IRobot do its stuff. I believe that with a single use, they miss areas, but in the longer period, they get it all. His is the top of the range.

      Delete
  6. Mr. G. would say that it is Mother Day the whole year long, lol ! I think you have as much fun with your vacuum cleaner as I have with my lawn mower robot I also love to watch it, or him because I called it Oscar !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I have often wondered if Oscar missed any grass.

      Delete
  7. You are a very good son. I did a lot for my mother, but am still shamed that I didn't do it with 'good grace'. Yes, as an alcoholic she made it difficult - but she had done a lot for me/us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, as long as you were there for her. It is better to do with good grace, but difficult at times.

      Delete
    2. Just to add, I could do a lot more for her financially, but she is so irresponsible with money.

      Delete