Tuesday, August 19, 2014

I like birds

Well, I like most birds, except the evil koel, pigeons, doves and seagulls.

I awoke about 4am and while car and tram noise don't penetrate my bedroom, a bird call was. Gosh it was loud. It must have been very nearby. What was it? I had never heard it before. I started a bit of online searching and then thought, too hard. If I really want to know, I will email Red Nomad who is knowledgeable about birds, her partner even more so.

Then I heard the same bird noise the next night. It wasn't as unpleasant as the call of the koel, but quite distinctive and as I said, loud. Did you know bird calls in the city are much louder than if they were in the country? They have to make themselves heard over city noises.

Right, I shall get down to searching out this bird noise. It did not take me too long to establish that it was a Pied Currawong. I recall that they were around when we stayed in Walhalla (its a nice post. Do check the link) last year, but I did not really notice their call. Apparently they are not unusual in Melbourne but I think they are unusual in this part of Melbourne.



Meanwhile, on a foggy Saturday a flock of sulphur crested cockatoos stopped by next door for a rest. There was a precise dozen, but one flew away before the shutter snapped.

21 comments:

  1. Andrew, I love the koel it looks so nice but definitely hate its voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birds are a rare sight from my building. They must have some sort of high noise that scares them away because I've only seen them on one of the buildings one time here. I've been curious about it for some time now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get so many Rubye. Maybe it is because there is quite a bit of parkland around here and near fresh water and sea water.

      Delete
  3. We get a LOT of currawongs visiting here - and I love their call. And the magpie warble. I find them both hauntingly beautiful.
    It is the wattle birds who start up well before sparrow fart who I could do without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, nothing beats the magpie warble. Yes re wattle birds and they are so aggressive.

      Delete
  4. I miss the Aussie bird calls when away from home, we live close to a creek so we have lots of birds and they are all great noise makers and singers.
    Merle......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, that is good that you are near a creek, so long as you don't get water rats.

      Delete
  5. Currawongs do have a loud call but not unpleasant but they are not nice to other birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I did hear they tend to drive away smaller birds. That's not so good.

      Delete
  6. Love the cockatoos, currawongs? not so much, although I don't think we have them here in SA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I would be surprised if you didn't have currawongs there, similar climate. Let me check. Well, I think you are correct. Maybe they need heavy bushland.

      Delete
  7. I love birds. You have some amazing and unique birds there in Australia!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed we do Keith. Can't say I saw or noticed any interesting birds in Europe or England.

      Delete
  8. I'm a sucker for bird noises Andrew, love hearing them in the morning, especially in summer. We have some really odd calls, there's one, not sure which but it totally sounds like me calling P out in his office, such a mimic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Grace. I hope it is not a screechy bird.

      Delete
    2. Screechy moi! I don't think so Andrew :)

      Delete
  9. I like the currawong call too. I only seem to notice them in winter, particularly on cold,foggy mornings. I have been hearing flocks of cockatoos going overhead for the last few weeks. I think that they're black cockatoos- although I didn't have my glasses on, so I may be wrong

    ReplyDelete
  10. RJ, yes, I expect you would have them there. But aren't they relatively new to southern Victoria? I think so. Black cockies have a distinctive sound, so if they sound different to the white SCC, they probably are black. Perhaps currawongs only winter in Melbourne, but why would anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Currawongs are my favourite bird. They migrate down from the mountains in the Winter and return up there for the Summer. We used to get a lot of them in South Yarraaah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Fen. I suspect I may have heard them before then, but just not noticed them.

      Delete