Thursday, August 21, 2014

Costa del bloody whatever

R's family who live in the north of England normally holiday on the Costa del Sol, wherever that is. When I say the Costa del Sol, I use it it metaphorically. It could be anywhere in Spain that is warm and sunny. El fisho and chippo has been set up all over Spanish holiday places to cater to their needs.

But has Spain gone wrong for the English? It seems so. About a year ago R's niece and her partner holidayed in the Bahamas, the country I can't recall. Now R's nephew has taken his family, along with his sister's son off to the Dominican Republic.

Speaking of which, sad to hear Kenny Ireland died, a reasonably well known actor and he had a terrific role in the tv show Benidorm, a cringe worthy take on cheap holidays in Spain taken by the English.


Btw, I have added something new to my blog page, on the left hand side a list of countries I have visited. I have stopped over in Hong Kong too and would like to see more of Honkers, but given it was only a stop over I have omitted it from the list.

So is Spain, with its huge youth unemployment rate, about to be dumped by the cheap air flight English as a holiday destination in favour of the West Indies? 

The thing is at times in Spain, and certainly in the West Indies, they stay in enclosed resorts that could be anywhere in the world. I am not critical of those seeking warmth and relaxation and well catered for times at cheap prices, but that sort of holiday is not for me.

In the Dominican Republic, 81% Haitian, you would certainly stay in an enclosed resort.  You know what those black men outside the resort would  like to do with white people to illustrate their superiority. Quell horreur. Too big missy.

It is a pity that people don't get to know the country they are visiting and many Australians don't when they visit our close by playground of Bali. Many Australians who go to Bali would not even have a clue it is Indonesia.

I must say though, the English are very fortunate to be able to travel to Europe so cheaply and easily. While the attraction of the warmth of Spain must be strong, I am afraid that while it is a place I would like to visit, the attractions of 'the old' Europe would pull me strongly in that direction.

The writing and acting in the tv show Benidorm was superb. Here is a short clip from the show.


14 comments:

  1. Ouch at that clip. I am quite certain that some of my family DID think that my MS was lazy buggerising around.
    Resorts? Not my cup of tea (or anything). When I travelled I went to see, to experience different cultures and life styles (though having said that, the resort culture is alien to me as well).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, that slipped my mind. I may not have used to the clip had I remembered. Experiencing different cultures sounds clichéd at times, but how much you can learn from people who do things quite differently.

      Delete
    2. Not a problem at all. I laughed - but winced as well.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, you are right the old Europe is more interesting than Spain. But I understand English this country is warm so they like travelling there,.In Europe summer is not so long so Spain is desired destination. But definitely I hate countries where I must rest in the enclosed reason like Egypt - it is not for me me. I like freedom during my holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes, I understand both. I have not experienced a European winter and it must depress people. I have never wanted to see Egypt, so not a problem for me. It sounds unsafe anyway.

      Delete
  3. It's good that R's relatives are expanding their travels. It broadens the mind as the saying goes.

    That clip is a bit like 'Eastenders' (the soap opera) in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Victor. I expect they can now say thank you in Haitian.

      Yes, not seen EE for a long time, but I recall Dot Cotton with a fag in her mouth.

      Delete
  4. I froze my bum off in European winters for years and know how desperate people become for sunshine. But there is nothing more cringeworthy that white legged, middle aged northerners wearing gaudy beach outfits and speaking English very loudly in sunny resorts.

    Shoot me, if I become that stereotype :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Promise you Hels, you won't be like that. I see you more as a Sister Wendy, myopically staring at a painting in a dusty old gallery :-P

      Delete
  5. It's all irrelevant to me as I probably won't ever holiday overseas. If I ever do, I'll be visiting English speaking countries and probably avoiding the sun, seeing as how we get so much of it here in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, cooler countries are much more pleasant.

      Delete
  6. The only time I've done the 'group' holiday thing was when Aimee and I went to Egypt and really it was the only way for two females to feel safe btw it was one of the best trips ever, fantastic guides.. Being so isolated is absolutely the only regret I have about Perth, the thought of a 24hr flight to Paris is getting harder all the time BUT I am thinking of doing one of those 'get over your fear of flying' courses.. English people on holiday crack me up.. but not enough to watch that horrendous show :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, but given the trouble in Egypt, you wouldn't go now?

      Yes, the flight is horrible. It really puts you off travelling to Europe. Then to add fear to it as well!

      Delete
    2. No wouldn't go now.. we went at exactly the right time, about four years ago. Such a shame because it really was the most awesome thing standing in front of the pyramids etc.

      Delete