Friday, August 29, 2014

ALS

There is a massive world wide campaign happening to raise awareness and funding for the investigation of the disease ALS. I know what ASL is, age, stats, location but I did not have a clue what ALS is. Ok, it is Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. Now that sounds bad. Anything with trophic and sclerosis in it can't be good. Still, I have never heard of it.

Ah, it can be called Lou Gehrig Disease, named after an American basketball player. Or even Charcot's Disease, after the doctor who identified it in 1869. Still, I've not heard of it.

Here we go. It is what I know as Motor Neuron Disease, a rather descriptive name given the symptoms.

I thought the challenge was either to donate, or have iced water tipped over you. Apparently you do both and then show the world. This will raise peoples curiosity about the disease and raise funds. Well, it certainly raised my curiosity and I have given the cause publicity.

(insert You Tube video of Highriser taking the challenge here)

Sorry, problem with the link. Here is a link to people who have been very affected by ALS and took the challenge. Thanks John.

21 comments:

  1. My brother died of ALS just over 2 years ago
    Thank you for this post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, very remiss of me. It just slipped my mind. I have amended the post.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, I have never heard about it ALS before.But it is very popular at my place. What a pity I can't see you in Ice Bucket Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, not a pity at all that you can't see me, and I am not doing it.

      Delete
  3. For the past week in Sydney we could have taken this challenge simply by walking outside. It has been raining enough to float Noah's Ark here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, so I have heard. You will be pleased to be leaving 'sunny Sydney'.

      Delete
  4. Oh was that what the bucket of ice water poured over someone on the telie the other night, didn't see the whole thing and wondered what she was doing.
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Merle, that's what it is about. As for the rain Victor mentioned, will we see some of your sodden garden this weekend?

      Delete
  5. One of the very cruelest diseases. Awareness and funding can never go astray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, people can pooh pooh things like this and be all twee about it, but I think it has done an amazing job of raising awareness, and funds too I understand.

      Delete
  6. I too had to look up Motor Neurone Disease. Damage to motor neurone nerve cells causes muscle weakness and wasting, so I suppose the worst part of the disease is watching yourself lose the ability to communicate with others.

    We all have to die, but of all the terrible ways to go, I would prefer a quick heart attack in bed during sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Hels. A heart attack in sleep is the only way to go.

      Delete
    2. Forget the heart attack, I'd rather just fall asleep and not wake up, preferably at age 100.

      Delete
  7. I've seen people on TV having those ice water showers and they can keep them thanks very much! I have goose bumps just thinking about it! And now I have to look up MND.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you did look it up River. I might have a heart attack if iced water is dumped on me.

      Delete
  8. Lou Gehrig was a baseball player for the NY Yankees in the 1920s and 30s. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Walt. I said basketball. I actually double checked that because I thought baseball, at an obviously dodgy source. The different names for the disease is confusing. It seems Britain uses MND.

      Delete
  9. The most famous person with ALS is Stephen Hawking. Most other ALS patients died within 5 years of diagnosis, but he beat the odds and just lived for another 50 years when diagnosed at 21 yo. However, ALS still left he paralysed, wasted his muscles and lost his speech. ALS still has no cure and it is a hereditary,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Michael. His is an amazing case of survival. I suppose gene research may pay off in this case.

      Delete
  10. Nope, me neither Andrew, although I have been challenged :) the donation is one thing, but .....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, and think of your hair getting so messed up.

      Delete