Sunday, July 06, 2014

The budding paleo, palant, paleotol........

Dinosaur scientist, one who digs up dinosaur bones and studies them with great interest. Little Jo may not be one, but she is very interested in dinosaurs and knows far more about them than R and myself put together.

Sister has spent the past week with her boys on a school camp in the Northern Territory. Is all sounded quite bloodthirsty with local aboriginal lads showing them how to kill and cook the native wildlife. Sister posted a photo of herself on her FB page in a crazy pose with her lads, and only one of them looked like he was pained by his mad school teacher.

Bone Doctor and Little Jo were booked on a 1.45am Monday flight to Darwin to join Sister for a week as Sister had rid herself of her lads on the Sunday. Why 1.45am? Saving $500 is significant. Sunday, Bone Doctor had to doctor at a football match in a northern Melbourne suburb, so we looked after Little Jo. The previous night at their home she had been sick and there was washing of bedding and a bath and hair wash at 3am.

She was still not entirely well but we had forked out $80 for the three of  us to see a dinosaur exhibition for kids at Caulfield Racecourse, plus I had changed my work so that I did not work Sunday and lost $100 odd by doing so.

We planned to tram into town, have brunch and catch the train, but the weather was just so hideous, we decided to drive. The weather remained hideous for the rest of the day. I am not a great one for pain killers, but I really wish I had taken some aspirin in advance. The noise level from roaring dinosaurs and 1,000,000 children was horrendous. The only consolation was lots of young children meant lots of young daddies to look at.

The event was well run and not bad value for the money. After jumping around on a bouncing dinosaurs, Little Jo became unwell again and went quite pale, and R had to take her outside where at the change room toilet, she did a big ridding herself of whatever was ailing her.  She seemed better after that.

Once home, Bone Doctor returned absolutely frozen from the football and we insisted she had a hot bath. Unlike the rest of our taps, the bath tap has no restricter and fills in a minute. She and Little Jo went to bed about 8.30 and as I was working the next day, I did not stay up to see them off at midnight and nor did R. Bone Doctor reported back that Little Jo had thrown up in the car on the way to the airport but was fine the next day.

I don't usually mind a Melbourne winter and I don't like temperatures over say 22 degrees, but I think I was a little envious of seeing the Bellarine family on FB, bare armed and enjoying 28 degrees, as they prepared for fireworks night, fireworks being banned in most of Australia, but not the Northern Territory.

We had lunch at an East Malvern cafe. Across the road the window prop amused me.


Did I mention the weather was nasty?






Inside was a plastic toy dinosaur.



Is that its baby or another breed?


Many of the dinosaurs were animated.


17 comments:

  1. Love the intense concentration of the young scientist in her lab coat. At what looks to be a very skillfully designed exhibition.
    And am very glad to hear that she has shrugged off her lurgy (finally).
    We have had rather a lot of grey days up here as well. I like the cooler temperatures, but the never-ending greyness can get me down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, the kids seemed to love chiselling away at what I guess was clay, to find a toy inside.

      Day after day of grey weather gets to me too. Not that I want to go back, but remember the drought where winter was day after day of bright sunshine, well here at least.

      Delete
  2. That dino exhibition looks fun; I would've gone if I was still in Melbourne!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wombat, I think it is on for the two weeks of the school holidays. I would have enjoyed it more had it not so busy. But yes, you would have liked it.

      Delete
  3. Not that marvellous a day today is it Andrew - a little break in the clouds would be good.
    I miss all those exhibitions geared for youngsters - they seemed to be of interest to adults as well. Even tho Scienceworks I'd put of he way it's a really good place to visit, with or without ankle biters.
    Oh well back to the jigsaw!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure what happened there - that should read -'Scienceworks is out of the way' not the gobbledygook that appeared lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, we have probably taken her to Scienceworks three times, and Sister has taken her too. It is one of her favourite places. It is fine weather for jigsaws.

      Delete
  5. looks very similar to the dinosaur display we had at our zoo last January. Dozens of kids getting in the way of my camera.
    Sorry to hear Little Jo wasn't well.
    I think learning to kill and cook native wildlife is a good idea, might come in handy if they are ever stranded in the outback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it probably tours around. Some of their caravans showed a circus company name.

      Got to catch the wildlife first. Not sure if they were shown that.

      Delete
  6. Andrew, children love dinosurs all around the world they are amazing for them. Almost the same exhibition of dinosaurs was at shopping mall in Katowice. It was the most crowded and busiest place in conurbation. Little Jo is a nice girl. And I can say you are very friendly and heplful to your family. What about the weather from my point of view is great. In my country it would be wonderful weather. Winter in a the challenge in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I wonder why they are so interested in dinosaurs. I never was, and still not really.

      Our winter is very challenging this year, but of course we don't get snow and daily maximum temperatures are around 14, but the wind makes it feel much colder.

      Delete
  7. Dinosaurs are 'big' around Australia by the sound of it Andrew, big display here too at the WA museum.. Yes, enough to give you a headache :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, your turn will come, I think at Power House Museum.

      Delete
  8. The dinosaur show looks like great fun. Too bad about the weather (although I haven't seen a good rain here in so long that I'm sure I'd enjoy it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, it does get like that here too. So long without rain........so long without sun. We love to complain.

      Delete
  9. Apologies if you get multiple comments, nothing seems to work the 1st, 2nd or 3rd time.

    I was saying...I thought this was a circus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How annoying Fen. I reckon it might be run by a circus company. The woman reading dinosaur stories was terrific, but seemed a bit carny like.

      Delete