Sunday, July 13, 2014

Rammed

I was in stop start traffic in Queens Road mid afternoon last week. I have experienced the growth in traffic in Queens Road over the past decade, well in many places really, and it is not good. People should catch public transport and leave the roads clear for me.

I had just made another of innumerable complete stops and the car behind me ran into the back of me. Very bad words spat from my mouth. Although right turns are banned in Queens Road, I put on my right indicator and turned into the next street once there was a rare gap in the traffic flowing in the opposite direction and the person who hit me followed me. Better to block traffic in the right lane for a minute, than block the left lane for considerably longer.

He was apologetic. There is no point in not being when you run into the back of someone. Not that it is relevant, but he was of Indian heritage, quite nice looking and about 35. I could not see any damage on either car and nor could he. But just in case, I took his driving licence number, name and address and car registration number. You never know. He might have bent my chassis. What? Car's haven't had a chassis since the 1950s? Really. So what are all the bits bolted to? Ah, to each other.

Some drivers may have soundly abused him but that is not my style. However, I could not resist a parting shot, "You really need to stay off you phone when you are driving". He gave a weak half grin. I had hit the nail on the head. He must have had his eyes down looking at his phone in the stop start traffic.

16 comments:

  1. Weekend traffic is it as bad in Melbourne as it is in Sydney especially when the football is on.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, it is nearly as bad as weekdays at times now.

      Delete
  2. I am glad it was no worse. And that he was decorative - and contrite.
    The sound of cars meeting that way is unmistakeable though - and truly unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I felt sure the bumper would be smashed. Very luckily not. It was quite a hard thump.

      Delete
  3. No chassis? How is that even possible? I know nothing about cars but it seems to me a chassis would be a stabilising element.
    on the phone eh?
    I've been told that if someone rams you from behind, no matter what the reason, you are the one at fault in the eyes of the law. Is that right? doesn't seem right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is called uni-body construction, I think. The body holds everything together.

      No, it is almost the opposite of that. If you run into the back of someone, it almost always your fault, legally and any other manner. You were either following the car in front too closely, or not paying attention

      Delete
  4. Andrew,Traffic jams and well behaved drivers are around the world. It is a seriouis problem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad-behaved drivers of course

      Delete
    2. Gosia, yes bad driving.

      Delete
  5. Oh la! He's lucky he bumped into the back of you and not me Andrew. Although... if he'd been good looking and 35 that might have made a difference :) laughed all the way through this post, merci beaucoup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, your Scottish temperament would have come to the fore? I love that you can laugh at me involved in a car crash, I think.

      Delete
    2. I only laughed once I was certain there was no damage to your person Andrew :)

      Delete
  6. Your tolerance is to be admired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, getting externally angry would not have helped. I would have ended up more upset than him.

      Delete
  7. oh Queens Rd is awful, especially on a Friday night :|
    I'm glad he did not do much in the way of damage. I get really annoyed when I see drivers behind me obviously peering down at their phones. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, Friday night seems to have extended to week nights too now. Many get caught using phones, yet many still use them when driving.

      Delete