Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Little Jo at 7

It is hard to believe seven years have passed since Little Jo was born. Some of you have been with me for the whole of her life. Again this year her birthday was celebrated over three weekends, one a kids party at home and two family celebrations. The final was a lunch at the Dick Whittington Hotel. The food is good, the dining area light and bright with views outside and the staff are brilliant.


After lunch R, myself, Sister, Little Jo and Hippy Niece drove to the St Kilda Botanical Gardens. Sister had never been there. Naturally mid winter, the roses were quite dormant. There is a very large number of them.


I will have to return to see what the Dolly Parton rose looks like when it is in bloom. Large blooms?


I don't know the purpose of the nets on the palms.


I thought this might have been a possum breeding box of sorts, but no, it is a piece of solid wood. Why?


The gardens border the suburb of Elwood. There are some terrific old apartment buildings.


And some not so terrific sixties style apartments. They would be quite spacious inside though, and how nice to have balcony views over the gardens.


A treasure hunt, and the note requests things to be left there and not spoil the hunt. It was after 3pm though. Surely the hunt would be over. I hope they didn't just leave the clues and not tidy up.


Here is another clue.


I've always thought this was an odd structure in the gardens.


And these even odder. What targets for a baseball bat.


Sweets for the kiddies. A few have fallen or been prised off.


Flower beds yet to reach their prime.


Once again Rainman is missing and the pond is empty. Go to here to see my photo of the original Rainman.


I don't believe palm trees belong in Melbourne but there are rather a lot of them.


These metal bands are controversial. They are placed there to prevent possums climbing into the trees and spreading a palm disease from one tree to another. Possum lovers are against them. Tree lovers are for them. Given the palms could die from spread of the disease and then we have no palm trees, I think the bands are a good idea. Oh, yes, I still don't believe palm trees belong in Melbourne.


St Kilda Botanical Garden aka Blessington Street Gardens is very beautiful, peaceful and well used by many diverse people.

21 comments:

  1. Andrew, Happy Birthday for Little Jo from Poland. Botanical garden is nice it is hard to believe it's winter at your place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Gosia, our winter still feels cold to us, especially this year.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to little Jo - and I expect she did. Which is wonderful.
    You have reminded me that I should go back to our Botanic Gardens. No houses overlook them, which is a shame. I would love it.
    The nets on the trees *could* be to discourage fruit bats.
    Loved Rain Man - and hope he returns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC. Yes, that is what the nets would be for, but more to prevent them carrying the tree disease from one tree to another.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday to Little Jo. The gardens do look peaceful and must be lovely in the Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, it is a lovely and well used public park, just a few minutes walk from one of the main St Kilda tourist areas.

      Delete
  4. There ARE amazing old apartment buildings in suburbs like Elwood and StKilda. If the buildings are old enough, they were probably built as houses for individual families and only broken up into flats when times were tough.

    If spouse and I become old and crappy, that is where I would like to live in retirement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I especially like the Spanish Mission style apartments in Elwood. The only thing I have against Elwood is its poor public transport.

      Delete
  5. That was an old Whoopi Goldberg joke BTW. The first pic made me think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Scott. I had heard the term, but not where it came from.

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday to Little Jo! And yes it does seem odd for palm trees to be in Melbourne LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I think it is a direct copy from the US west coast.

      Delete
  7. She won't be Little Jo much longer, the years are just flying by. We have a lot to thank the 60s for but definitely not the architecture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, I am trying hard to think of a building to counter your point, but I cannot.

      Delete
  8. Palm Trees vs. Possums. I'm not sure which side I'd choose.

    Happy Birthday to Little Jo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dina, possums lived for centuries in Australia without palm trees. They can manage without them.

      Delete
  9. Happy birthday to your "little" niece! She is one year younger than my kids; it's a lovely age.
    I haven't been to those gardens in years - they certainly are a lovely spot.
    Logically I don't think palm trees belong here either, but I do think they look great at St Kilda. So yes, I'm on Team Bands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, nice to know you are familiar with the gardens. Take your children there for an outing. Maybe wait until the pond is fixed. I must confess, I am bit half hearted over my dislike of palm trees in Australia.

      Delete
  10. A belated happy birthday to Little Jo.. seven years, where does the time go! You always make me smile Andrew, when I read about the bands on the palm trees I felt sure you would be happy about that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, do you think I like nature ordered? You are probably correct.

      Delete