Saturday, July 12, 2014

Holiday anti climax

Now I have finished my holiday posts, I forget how to write something to publish daily that is not written much in advance and full of photos.

Work is absolutely awful at the moment. You cannot imagine the stress I have been under. Tuesday night, four hours sleep. Wednesday 3.5 hours. Thursday night a bit better with 6 hours. Tossing and turning, super hot body temperature in bed to the point where I get woken up. When can I retire? Oh, I am too young and I don't have enough money.

Yesterday was Little Jo's 7th birthday. We called her and she was getting her hair cut at a salon and we sang happy birthday to her over the phone. She was screaming, so Sister told us later. Oh, what have we done? Screaming in delight, apparently. Sister and Little Jo called in last Tuesday, just when my work issues began and I was less than my cheerful self, but we had bought her an animated toy dinosaur, a dinosaur birthday card and a dvd.

Mother is nearly dead from a bad cold. She has played it long and hard, for three weeks. We took her to the doctor last Sunday when we visited her, and then again when R did his duty of taking Mother out on Thursday, she was back at the doctors with another appointment, just for a check. R felt like slapping her. If the Abbott's $7 surcharge would dissuade her from visiting the doctor for what are really old age issues and for which there is no cure, maybe the $7 is not a bad thing. She doesn't seem to be doing so badly with money now, and pays $50 towards the electricity account each fortnight, which will repay what she owes and manage what she is now using.

ABI Brother (acquired brain injury) has once again got himself mixed up in some crazy investment, Townsville off the plan property, apparently. We had to in the past bail him out of a Henry Kaye scheme. We can only offer advice. I have spoken to him on the phone, written him two letters and while Sister was away in Darwin, once home and I told her, she and Bone Doctor said it was crazy. Bone Doctor's grandmother lives in Townsville. The locally knowledgeable Bone Doctor called ABI Brother and told him of the pitfalls. Sister did too. We were all called by the property manager as to why we were dissuading him and drilled to the point where we all thought it would be a good investment. The essence is ABI Brother owns his own home, can afford a reasonable car and holidays. He has done well, given his injuries. He is putting all that at risk by effectively borrowing half a million dollars to buy an outer suburban Townsville off the plan property. We have all given him strong advice, but at the end of the day, it is his decision. He is 54 years old. Earns a minimum income, and not a particularly secure one. Also, his brain does't not function as well as it should, he hears tax savings, and he is interested. Only have to pay $50 per week after tax benefits and rental. We have all expressed our opinions to him, but we can't stop him.

The property spruiker may well be right about the profits to come, and ABI Brother may blame us for his loss.

Hippy Niece has kicked her Maori partner out from Tradie Brother's home after their US holiday. Ah, he is Morman. Now it makes sense. But then they are going out on a date! I despair.

R and I were standing out on the balcony two nights ago. Something bright flew past. I knew not what. What was that, sweetheart? Dunno. We didn't trouble ourselves about it for long. It was Russian space junk. It seemed low on the horizon, it wasn't. It seemed nearby, it wasn't. It was certainly weird. It was quite spectacular but as I said earlier, my mind was focused more on work issues.

If you are poor or rich, no matter. Just offer me sympathy for having to work a crap job that I have done for thirty five years and have to continue to do so for probably another five years just to maintain my lifestyle. 

Reverse mortgages I hear you say?




29 comments:

  1. Andrew, I am very sorry you are disatisfied with your work. I don't know where you work but definitely your job is very demanding one. I understand you that in those hard conditions lack of sleeping is difficult to survive. My work is not so easy too, I have work in two school before I was under the stress all the time. Now the third school is better the worse students badly -behaved bettter headmaster but very demanding but the other staff OMG ... luckily I have got hobbies l;ike blogging, yoga and my family and I hope I will survive till 65 ( so it means for me over 20 years to retirement) it is a challenge. Reverse mortage is not the right solution. Stay healthy and try to survive till retirement. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, work is to be endured. I respect the job you do too. All of our family are financially ok. Why could we not spend the value of our home? When our wills are read, there will be nothing left, haha. Note, more exercise is wise advice.

      Delete
    2. Andrew, probably you are right.

      Delete
    3. Gosia, I am a frail minded person. I doubt I am ever right.

      Delete
    4. "work is to be endured", well that depends on whether or not you love your job. Coles for me was endured as long as I could. But if the shoe factory hadn't closed down, I would still be happily working full time. I loved that job.

      Delete
    5. River, it would be a pity to lose a job you love doing. I would have thought the Coles job was better, but then I have never worked in a factory.

      Delete
  2. Sympathies, Andrew. The first time you see Russian junk is always memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott....for making me spray coffee over my keyboard.

      Delete
    2. My other one was "Sometimes Russian junk can take you by surprise" but that wouldn't be entirely fair...

      Delete
  3. Work stresses always seem to come after a pleasant holiday. Why is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for you then AdRad?

      Delete
    2. Absolutely...that's why I'm off again on Wednesday to the US. The perfect solution.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear..well I hope mom is not really " nearly dead"
    Your phrasing did make me titter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, there are colds, then there are man colds, which are worse and then there are ageing mother colds, which are extremely debilitating and string out for a very long time.

      Delete
  5. AR is right you know - people are more inclined to look for another position after a break than before - they seem to have their thoughts confirmed when they return and realise the stress and employment issues they had beforehand are not a figment of their imagination.. Hang in there!
    Nice to see your holiday recorded for us to revisit now and again - thanks for doing so Andrew .
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, that is very interesting. It is not something I was aware of. Thanks for the nice words.

      Delete
    2. What happens if the new legislation goes through, mandating work till 70 :(

      Delete
    3. Hels, I think you and are ok, set at 65 or 67, depending on our ages. Asking manual labourers or those in high stress jobs to work until they are 70 is untenable. Just another reason to hate The Abbott.

      Delete
  6. Lots of sympathy on the work front. And on the sleepless front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, with a day off today, Doctor Walker, the red doctor, ensured I slept well and I can at least laugh and joke today.

      Delete
  7. The inevitable dump back into the realities of repetitive day to day drudgery that hits you at the end of a carefree and memorable holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, the problem is that the drudgery paid for the holiday and if I want more, I have to put up with the drudgery. I forget, but you retired quite early, didn't you?

      Delete
    2. I did retire earlier than many; a combination of factors. A necessity when I unexpectedly assumed full time carer's responsibility made possible by Commonwealth Public Service employment conditions.

      Delete
  8. Offer sympathy?
    Awww, poor Andrew. Never mind, it's only another five years.
    Or you could cut loose now and rethink your lifestyle. Your choice.
    I'm glad to hear Mother is getting smart with the electricity bills at last, sorry on the other hand to hear about ABI brother falling for schemes he can't afford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rvier, changing our life has been suggested by a certain person in our abode. Selling and caravanning around Australia has been mentioned, but to me that is a loss of everything I have really worked for. R is now a pensioner and in ten years I will be, and we can survive well enough then. It is the bit between when I imagine retiring, maybe 61 and pension age, 67. No way can I do my job until that age.

      Delete
  9. Oh that must have been so very cool seeing the Russian space stuff.
    The longer I am retired the more I wonder how I ever managed to show up for work each day. Hopefully it'll get better soon, but I cannot even begin to imagine 35 years in the same place. Hang in there Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, it was amazing, yet we viewed it in a very blaze manner. R is now wondering how he turned up at work each day, and when he found time to go to work. Thanks.

      Delete
  10. Those early mornings hopefully won't be so bad when summer comes along again Andrew.. It's hard to cope with anything when you don't get enough sleep.. I know what that's like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, sleep is so important and lack of it can do terrible things to your head. I won't be sorry when the weather warms up this year.

      Delete