Monday, July 28, 2014

First we nick at the corners of the mouth

(This was possibly meant for publication, or maybe not, but I have nothing else ready for today)

What an awful business in Ukraine where a number of Australians lost their lives, but heaps more people from the Netherlands lost their lives. What goes on Gaza and Israel is beyond the pale.

How terrific was the Commonwealth Games opening in Glasgow. Great Britain is such a civilised place. My nephew lived and worked in Glasgow for a couple years, well just out of Glasgow, in Paisley. I once asked asked him if he ever felt in danger, and there was one night when he was on his way home from work at a nightclub where he outcycled some young men who had bad intents.

R's sister's sister in law's husband grew up in Glasgow. He told us things that made our hair curl about Glasgow, including telling us about the Glasgow kiss. It is a head butt, if you don't know.

I was looking up something and I came across really disturbing stuff. While my head told me not to look further, I could not help myself. What is the Cheshire Smile, or the Glasgow Grin? 

And we can feel so sanctimonious about those damned foreigners and their fighting and violent ways. You can find out yourself about the Cheshire Smile aka the Glasgow Grin. The process is too horrible for me to describe.

Australia is no shrinking violet in gang violence either, especially in the early to mid twentieth century.








12 comments:

  1. I'm not looking it up, your photo tells me all I need to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Echoing Victor. Goodness we do some vile things to ourselves and each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some very strange people in this world.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeh, humans can be really nasty creatures :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of the Cheshire Smile in books, but didn't know it was also called the Glasgow Grin. It's a truly horrible thing to do to someone's face.
    When stuff like this reaches the media, people are quick to say those gangsters (or whatever) are behaving like animals. to me, that's an insult to animals everywhere. Name me ONE animal that would do this to another animal?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew, what a pity Europe is becoming more nad more dangerous place in the worls, too many countries , to many problems and difffeent businesses and so on..... Your continent is better to live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is why I continue to view life as the glass half empty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so disgusted about what is going on, that I put my head in the sand and just don't follow the news anymore. Unfortunately I can't change anything, these men are all crazy ! If they had to fight they would think it over twice !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't understand these useless wars anyway. I put my head in the sand and just listen anymore. The poor people on both sides they only want to live in peace ! And mixing up a private airplane with a military one is just unbelievable !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your comments. No need to address each individually. Man's inhumanity to man is awful at times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The world is STUFFED it seems. Keeps getting worse, though this seems to have been a particularly awful month.
    When I was living in the UK I heard so many scary stories about Glasgow I thought it would be terrifying; I went there and found a fantastic, vibrant, friendly city that reminded me a lot of Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yup that photo tells the story Andrew.. blimey what happened to make love not war I think we need more pot :) no not really only kidding, but seriously what the hell is going on with people these days.. aggression everywhere.. not happy Jan :)

    ReplyDelete