Friday, July 04, 2014

Eurocruise 31/05 The countryside and going to the dogs

R's Sister 2 and her husband collected us late morning to travel about 40 minutes into the countryside to a farm near the famous castle town of Alnwick (locals pronounce it Anick).

We were visiting Sister 2's husband's twin sister and her husband. I never thought her husband would still be alive for this visit. His life exists of drinking scotch,  passing out for a few hours, and then repeat. He must have been on his best behaviour for the time before our visit as he seemed quite ok.

The twin sister is absolutely hysterical and from the moment you meet her, you are laughing your head off. Her tales of searching the net for information on sexing chickens and the 'diversions' she was sent on, had us rolling on the floor laughing. "I tell you, I never thought such things were possible". Her computer had also been attacked by a worm that shut down her virus protection and firewall and then accused her of being a paedophile, snapped her photo and wanted hush money. She showed a friend what was happening and her computer snapped a photo of her friend. She took it to the police station and showed a young officer what was happening and you guessed it, it snapped his photo. He called in a colleague to show her, and it snapped her photo too. The officer suggested she use her other computer and google a remedy, which she did and it worked. All this was told rapid fire in a quite thick accent. My jaw was aching very badly afterwards.

She made us a nice lunch and we stayed a few hours before setting off back to Newcastle. It was Saturday night and time for an evening out. Well, kind of. Sister 1's husband had acquired some tickets for greyhound racing which included a free meal and a free drink. Neither R nor myself had ever seen greyhounds racing, and I doubt we ever will again, but it was interesting enough, especially as you can get right up close to where the dogs are released and see the hare whiz past. Our modest £1 bets saw a poor return. We all ate the same meal and none of us felt too well later that evening. What happens to retired greyhounds?

Humour aside, there was an organisation there collecting for the benefit of retired dogs.

The peace and quiet of the countryside was broken by our raucous laughter as we sat in the warm sun for wine and lunch. 


The farm house is comfortable and has extensive outbuildings. They have rented their farm land to neighbours as they are no longer up to farming themselves.




We guessed he was about to get married.




22 comments:

  1. That blackmailing worm story has me hooting with mirth. It must have been even better to hear it first hand.
    Love it - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it was a great tale told well, and among a few others told.

      Delete
  2. That's a great story I wonder if they have any success with their blackmailing.
    Greyhound racing I never been but did often go to the horse races years ago that was always good.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt they do Merle, otherwise they would not bother.

      Yes, I been to races before, but not for a long time.

      Delete
  3. Hello Andrew:

    Clearly you had a most entertaining visit out into the wilds of the Northumberland countryside!! And that followed with greyhound racing! There you have the advantage over us for it is something neither of us has ever experienced but we understand it to be a very popular sport, particularly in the North of England.

    Have a very happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayLa, it was a very long day though. I am not sure if it was dodgy free meal at the dogs or just exhaustion, but I was quite unwell that night. You now know enough about greyhounds from my post, so that you will never have to attend, as if you ever would.

      Delete
  4. Andrew, your story about R sister is amazing and fantastic an can't believe that kind of woman can exist in the world of net. The countryside is lovely I love English farms and sheep. But I the houses don't look so rich and comfortable. I have never took part in dogs races it would be interesting experience. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosai, it was a very big laugh. The house was nice enough inside, and comfortable. There are still hooks in the ceiling to hang a sheep carcass from.

      Delete
  5. I like the look of those sturdy stone built farm buildings. It's nice that you had a laughter filled visit there. I've seen greyhound racing a couple of times when my dad took us to the track, I wasn't impressed at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the greyhounds certainly run fast, but that sort of thing is not really for me. However, I am glad to have experienced it once.

      Delete
  6. I scrolled a bit through your Europe travel, I don't like dog racings at all, they are so badly treated sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, the worst thing is when they come to the end of their racing career. Fortunately, as I said, their are charities who look after them.

      Delete
  7. Nothing beats a good roll around laughing with friends/family. The dude in costume is brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, an elegant woman he would not make.

      Delete
  8. I don't think that was a stag party, i think they always dress like that in Newcastle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, you may well be correct. We saw similar elsewhere at least once, I am sure more actually.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you had some good laughing...and that story is very funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dina, having a good hearty laugh is very good for your health.

      Delete
  10. Young Englishmen also do fancy dress at the cricket.

    I suppose a buck's night at the 'dogs would be some peoples idea of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I much prefer it when they strip them and tie them to a post.

      Delete
  11. I do hope you weren't having 'greyhound stew' Andrew! Sounds like you had so much fun on this, there's nothing quite so fab as laughing until you're exhausted, adds at least ten years to your life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too Grace. Yes, you are correct about lots of laughing. It seldom happens to me now.

      Delete