Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sunday Selections

I'm sure you are glad of a break from Euro travel. Life goes on at the Highrise.  Check out River's, Jackie's, Kath's and Elephant Child's Sunday Selections.

Sister stayed many times in our absence, including the night before we returned. I hope guests appreciate that they stay in what is almost hotel style accommodation ten minutes from the centre of the world's most liveable city. No Sister, much as we love you and Little Jo and Bone Doctor, don't be here when we return from Europe. We will be fuc... very tired and not wanting company. Mother told her to vacuum well and Sister did change bedding and wash sheets too.

While we did not suffer jetlag, we felt a little queer for a couple of days. Boom boom. We functioned, but everything seemed a little surreal.

I spent a lot of time sorting digital photos but we did get out and about a bit. We took Mother to hospital for an overnight stay for a colonoscopy.  No problems was the result. Get off pain killers Mother. She is going to try with morphine patches. (you are lucky I am focused on holiday posts and don't give you the full version)

Pig protesters at the old GPO. Don't misinterpret. They are figurative pigs and they aren't protesting against pigs. Quite the contrary. Their mission is the motherhood ideal of treating pigs kindly, and not sow stall them. I agree with them. As I said, motherhood is good.


Wow, Savoy Tavern at the corner of Bourke and Spencer Streets has re-opened after being a boarded up site for many years. But the owner Mark, brother of comedian Peter Rowsthorn has now sold it to an Asian company who will build a highrise there.


The old mail exchange, where letters used to be sorted. R worked there as a fill in between proper jobs. It is fine functional building, or was. There was a tunnel to Spencer Street Station across the road, the tunnel used to move mail to and from the station.


C'mon R, I want to see the old water tower clock at Spencer Street Station, ok, Southern Cross Station in modern parlance. And we did.


I am all for keeping our history, but I don't really like it.


Remember my damaged lavatory lid? I bought a new seat and lid and I started to fit it and it was not easy. Get out of the way bitch. R took over, and then gave up. He said that while he had patience for such things when he was younger, he no longer does. I retook over and methodically went about it. I am like a kid with a new toy. I love my soft closing seat and lid. I open it and let it close it just to amuse myself. Turn your sound on. I love the clonks as surfaces connect. Sorry, You Tube is taking forever to correct the video from sideways, so you may have to twist your neck a bit.



I connected with Gattina as I was sorting out photos. She once mentioned she spent quite a long time sorting out holiday photos. During our trip I took between 50 and 150 photos a day. Multiply that by 30 days.They really do take some sorting out.

It was a bit far away for a good photo and this is severely cropped, but this balloon thingie was advertising a communication company with the unfortunate name of Dodo, that is the extinct bird. ABI Brother was a Dodo customer for a while. Dodo deserves its historical fate.


18 comments:

  1. What a range. I do love your soft closing toilet though. And it would mean that our toilet DID get closed. I may have to investigate further.
    Yay for pig protestors. I agree too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, not too many lids do get closed, but it is something we have always done.

      Delete
  2. I'm a little unnerved by the soft closing toilet lid. It seems like a 'customer service' provided at a Westfield shopping centre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why so Victor?

      Delete
    2. When Westfield Bondi Junction opened one of the talking points was that the toilets self flushed when you arose from them. People rushed to the toilets just to try them out. Then the toilets started to flush whilst you were still sitting on them. They no longer self flush as far as I can tell.

      Delete
    3. Understand Victor. A real gimmick not well engineered.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, your toilet is perfect now,.It is great that your mother is in a good shape. And I love the old clock because is original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I should have mentioned that it dates back to about 1870. I also should have taken a distant shot of the clock. It may have looked better.

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean it's alway exciting to go away but great to come home and I never want visitors for a couple of days.
    I'm with the protesters I like pigs too pity they taste so good but they should have comfortable lives.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think alike Merle. We invest money and our energy in our homes and like to enjoy them.

      Delete
  5. Twist my neck? Are you crazy? I'll never get it straight again! Well, surprise, surprise, the video played right way up and then sat sideways again.
    "While we did not suffer jet lag..."that paragraph reminds me of a joke about the Seven Dwarfs.
    I'm still a Dodo customer and quite happy thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The video just did the same for me River.

      You better tell the joke. I want to know.

      ABI Brother, that is acquired brain injury does things without checking. He was borderline for Dodo coverage for a dongle, but signed up anyway. Dodo tried to help a bit, but at the end of the day, if the coverage is not there..... I should not be so harsh on them.

      Delete
  6. Here's the joke: the seven dwarfs were coming home from the mine all grubby and tired, so they ran a hot bath and they all got in, all feeling happy, so Happy got out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A water clock at spencer street station? You are a mine of interesting information, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, it sounds like water has something to do with its operation, but no. It was once mounted on a water tower.

      Delete
  8. hahahaha I have great fun at the big swedish store with the soft closing drawers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it in the hinge Fen? I so want soft closing drawers.

      Delete