Sunday, June 15, 2014

Eurocruise Vienna 14/05

Our second day in Vienna and the first time we had a choice of tours, a visit to see the Spanish Riding School training session, a visit to Schonbrunn Palace or a visit to the Museum of Fine Arts. I wasn't keen to see the horses and rather had seen the palace but R and our friends wanted to see the horses. It was quite boring and preceded by a lecture on the boat by someone from the school. She waxed about how well the horses were looked after, their easy retirement, etc etc, no doubt to head off critical thoughts when we saw them. It did not work for R or myself and I consider the way the Lipizzan horses make very unnatural movements to be cruel.

So, to get there we were on the bus again for half an hour, becoming somewhat used to the route the bus took. After the horses, we left early, we wandered around town and had some lunch and we did not have to be back on the boat until 11pm, but we decided to return at about 4pm and indulge in relaxing time, and dinner of course.

I would be scared to look at how many euro this vase cost.


Vienna is certainly a very beautiful city.


We bought some nuts to nibble on. The lady who served us was so charming. Our friend BJ through the whole trip kept buying punnets of strawberries and sometime blueberries and they were superior to what we can buy here.


I went into the tourist information office to ask about using the trams and subway train. We took a tram ride from the southern edge of the city to the northern. I had previously studied a train map and worked out how to get to the station for the train to get to the station near our boat.


I think we are at the northern edge of the city, Schwedenplatz. The underground railway was nearby.


Overkill with the warning picture, yet I noted in both Austria and Germany, work site safety was no where near anything it is like in Australia, and probably England too. Where were the high viz and helmets for building site workers? How can our boat crew hang off the side of the boat cleaning windows?


We had been transported by bus to and from the mooring point twice yesterday, and once this morning to the town. The bus trip took about half an hour each way. Within five minutes on the train, we were back with a five minute walk to the boat.



 Yes, this is our station to get off to walk to our boat.


I take it from the sign, it is a dog park, hundezone.


Ferals with large dogs, as you would see in Melbourne, except they spoke another laguage  and pretty loud and ugly sounding language at that.


A train ran along the river bank. The boom went down very early.


Wien is of course Vienna. This was the bridge at the rear end of our boat.


Not nearly as bad as graffiti when approaching Gare du Nord in Paris.





One evening over a drink, R and myself puzzled about Austria's apparent wealth, with infrastructure we dream of in Australia. Later we heard 70% of Austria's wealth is generated by tourism.

25 comments:

  1. Thank you. I have always thought that the Lipizanner horse training is perverse. And cruel. And not beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I am not even keen on horses but they just didn't seem happy to me.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, your story is interesting. It seems that public transport works perfectly, well-organized and clean. Dogs parks are becoming more and more popular in every European country. and what's more Vienna sweets looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it is a place to add on kilos.

      Delete
  3. The young man who did the window cleaning on our trip was a sight to behold. It was a highlight of my mornings checking on his...ahem...work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, a couple of staff were quite hot. Maybe in later photos.

      Delete
  4. I think I ve been to Vienna
    But I can't bloody remember

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it is not a place I will forget.

      Delete
  5. I'm enjoying the trip and looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful city, yet spoiled by graffiti.
    "infrastructure we only dream of in Australia" and we'll keep dreaming for many years yet. According to the governments (cut, slash, tax) we can't afford anything except their perks and pay rises.
    enough of that....your holiday so far is looking fabulous! I'm loving the photos and I wouldn't have wanted to see those horses either. I saw some Spanish "dancing" horses once and felt very uncomfortable at the way they had been trained to move. It just didn't look like something horses would naturally do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, we were in the port area, and nearby was a building that looked like housing commission. There was graffiti but I expect it was only in the port are, not in the city.

      And infrastructure did not have to be new. Almost everything is old in Vienna, but it was high quality when it was installed or built and lasts.

      You hit the nail on the head about the horses.

      Delete
    2. "High quality when it was installed or built and lasts". Right there is the difference. Modern constructions are built as cheaply as possible with the only important thing that it be functional. No one seems to care that something might be ugly or fall into disrepair in a year or two. I suppose it is the cost of things today, it would be too expensive to build the way they did back then.

      Delete
  7. Tourism is huge for Vienna as you say and the prices certainly reflect it too. MUST go back there as a tourist and not an employee very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, is Switzerland more expensive?

      Delete
  8. Back by 4pm! Were you not tempted to see what the night life was like Andrew? Shame about all the graffiti, but a universal problem oui! It makes me tres happy that you share your continued passion for rail travel with us, enjoy so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I have had my time of nightlife and it no longer interests me. A role reversal has happened in my and R's relationship. I was once the clubber who forced him out. Now when he wants to dabble, I say no.

      Delete
    2. Not all the time surely Andrew?

      Delete
    3. Seems like it Grace.

      Delete
  9. I'm with you on the poor Lippizanners. My horse expert friend thinks it is cruel as well, and she's a farmer being cruel every day. But everyone says Vienna is gorgeous and I would happily add to their GDP by eating all the cakes it is known for.
    Hope every minute is just lovely for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, good to hear it confirmed about the horses. I don't eat cake normally, but since Vienna, I have a hunger for cake and desserts.

      Delete
  10. Great photos. Thanks for the tour. I had no idea Austria relied so much on tourism!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Came as a surprise to me, Mitchell.

      Delete
  11. You obviously prepared well for your trip with regard to transport options around the towns. I have enjoyed your tour of Vienna and will certainly visit there one day but probably not the Horse riding School.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, it was all pretty well done on the day. I did prepare for London somewhat. We had some friends who travelled to Amsterdam in the eighties and hopped on a tram, expecting there to be a conductor to pay and there wasn't. The next stop the inspectors got on and they were carted off to the local police station and it took Australian Embassy intervention to sort it out.

      Delete