Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Eurocruise, the boat staff

The staff on the boat worked very hard and worked very long hours. They were all friendly and polite, but oh how I tired of the endless good mornings. The staff came from all corners of the globe, but were predominantly Romanian. Our captain was Tom, a Dutchman, and very serious about his job and I am sure very competent, but also with a dry sense of humour. Our room maid was fine, but with less than excellent English.

The director of the hotel part of the ship, an Austrian, seemed like he would be a fan of Judy Garland and was a friendly chap, but while we did not witness it, he had some sort of breakdown one night and there was quite a scene. It was officially announced the next day that he had left the boat and some details of why. I don't agree with us being told the details, but I suppose it was to head off ship whispers. I think telling us that he was unwell would have been adequate.

Our tour director was Cherie Cooper, possibly undoubtedly  a wearer of sensible shoes, was terrific. She gave us our daily briefings, sorted us out for tours and was the chief problem solver. She is Australian born, but left here in her early twenties and has lived in Europe, Austria to be specific now, ever since. She has been involved in this area of tourism for her working life and I should think she is well paid, as she deserves to be.

Btw, apparently a condition Captain Tom put on his employment is that the staff on the boat are paid Netherlands wages, not always the case on other boats I think. Captain Tom worked six hours on, six hours off.

There was only one staff member we did not get along with, a sarcastic queen waiter who judged us and went a bit too far too soon. We avoided him for the rest of the cruise; easy to do as the waiters had set areas in the dining room.

Of course one has one's favourites, and mine were Vanda who poured our drinks, and Ricky who made sure we weren't without a drink. They may well have served me one too many drinks on the last night when this photo was taken, judging by the goofy expression on my face.


18 comments:

  1. The staff on a trip, especially if you're trapped on a boat with them can make or break a trip.. Well, well.. Andrew exposed :) I think this would make an excellent new profile pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I would never find myself on the net without my long ago painted over burgundy bedroom wall as a backdrop. I did put my photo up once.......ok, about 2006.

      Delete
  2. At least you were able to move about in the dining room - I agree with Grace about staff, but I would also be a tad concerned if I had to spend the whole trip dining with irritating people au table.
    No, nothing like Goofy at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, I will post a review of dining in the future. I am sure you are excited about that. Second reading of comment and I had to alter my original reply.

      Delete
  3. Nice that all the staff (except for the one waiter) were nice and courteous. That makes all the difference actually! How many drinks did you have before that picture was taken?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pointless counting Keith, when glasses kept being topped up.

      Delete
  4. Andrew,you look handsome it,s important that most of staff was friendly. Your descriptrion about staff about them is so funny. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is unwell is more than adequate.
    Love your smile - drink induced or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I thought just to say he was unwell was enough. Strange really.

      Delete
  6. The continuing similarities with our experience are remarkable.

    The waiter we had on the first night proved to be the only surly one amongst them and to have the poorest language skills. Like you did, we avoided his section for all subsequent meals.

    Our Tour Director was a woman from Newcastle.....England... She was married to an Austrian and had lived in Austria for the previous 20 years. She was absolutely brilliant at her job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I can't say any were surly. The one I mentioned was a bitchy queen.

      Ours came from Newcastle, NSW. Also lived in Austria. Strange.

      Delete
  7. Well it's the staff who make the trip, sounds like yours were pretty good.
    Merle.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, yes the staff helped us enjoy the trip a lot.

      Delete
  8. Nothing goofy about that photo, but you do look happy. Sad about the staffer breakdown, hope he recovers and is able to work again soon. It's good that almost all the staff were polite and friendly, that shows people who are enthusiastic about their work, a holiday can so easily be spoiled if there are a few divas on board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, truly, the boat staff were terrific. He and the deckhand who left chairs up that were broken would be redeployed to other duties for the company.

      Delete
  9. Goofy..hardly, you look very happy :) I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, happy is almost my perpetual state and at times I feel guilty about my luck in life.

      Delete