Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Eurocruise 22/05 Pt 2 Andernach

We stopped at the town of Andernach as a princess had 'invited' us to dine with her in her castle Burg Namedy.

The caravan park residents were very interested in our boat arrival and enthusiastically waved us off as we departed on buses.


Here we are greeted by the staff of Princess Heide von Hohenzollern. The link takes you to a short transcript from a Deutsche Wella radio programme. The Princess launched our boat, the AmaReina, earlier this year. A patron of the boat is chef Luke Nguyen, who was also at the launch.



Unfortunately the Princess wasn't home, but her secretary welcomed us.







I found these tiled room heaters very interesting. I first saw one in Jane and Lance's apartment in Budapest and as in the second photo, the fire box was not visible, so I had to ask what it was. I subsequently saw a few during our trip.






Each course was served with military precision by a line of waiters filing into the room to serve 150 people. This waiter is a cutie.



There were a couple of musical performances between courses.


There was a certain art deco appearance to the castle.


Full of food, wine and good cheer, it was back to the boat and we set sail for the last town before reaching Amsterdam. The last town surprised me and it was not somewhere I have ever thought of visiting. Hint, 4711.


Dinner menu.



8 comments:

  1. Andrew, so pity the princess wasn't in the palace.
    What about tiled room heaters they were very popular in Europe in the past but now they are replaced by central heating. My grandparents had tiled room heater it worked well and gave a lot of energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, thanks for more information. I had never heard nor seen them, so very new to me.

      Delete
  2. All that information but not one word about what you ate and whether or not it was nice? No photos either...I suppose that would have been frowned upon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I would not have a clue what we ate. I assume it was nice. If it wasn't, I would remember. Fortunately I saved the menu and I have added it the end of the post. No problem about photos, but generally it is a bit weird to photograph food, even though I have done it at times.

      Delete
  3. Hello Andrew:

    This all looks to be very grand indeed. What an interesting and enjoyable opportunity.

    Thank you so much for the link. Such stoves are very common here in Hungary and are to be found in the majority of pre Second World War properties.

    It is good to catch up with your travels. We have been 'off air' with Blogger problems for several days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayLa, from what I saw, there was not too much that wasn't pre war. I guess these stoves are generally no longer in use. Sorry to hear you have had issues.

      Delete
  4. I don't recall Andernach either as the name of a town we stopped at nor the activities you describe. We must have stopped somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I would have been very surprised if there weren't some alterations to the itinerary with a three year? gap.

      Delete