Monday, June 23, 2014

Eurocruise 21/05 Miltenberg and a dog day

I think this was our first towel folding. R told me off for destroying it. Sorry, I picked it up off the bed and it fell apart.


Local tourism seems to big business in Germany, with many and huge campervan parks.



Is it a tram? A train? Or a lightrail? I don't know.


Our local guide who was very informative and American born. I could have sworn he was............no, married.


Gratuitous photo of hot guy in Budapest I forgot to post at the appropriate time.


Low lying towns along the rivers have recently experienced many once in 100 year floods, so the locals are becoming a little sceptical after some successive once in 100 year floods. Along the rivers, flood barriers are being installed at vulnerable towns, usually as a concrete wall with pop up steel panels. Note the flood level markings on the house.


Things can look a little crooked in Europe at times.


The local water pump.


Which drained away to here, along with everything else in the unsewered town. Eventually a link was made between sickness, contaminated ground water, the pumping well and the drainage system.


I had no idea Germany was full of Catholics. I thought the Protestants would be the vast majority. Above the door is a date with some letters, put there each year before Christmas for 'good' Catholics.


If your beer making premises is too small in a historic town, there are ways and means around it.



More flood markings.


Now a hotel.



No reason to not utilise the town walls as part of your house. Opposite this house sat a very old woman embroidering in a doorway. She wanted to know where we all from, ah kangaroo and she understood. Two New Zealanders weren't having a bar of this and attempted to tell her where they were from. There was no light bulb moment at all.


While the Main River has been 'canalised', it has been carefully done with many backwaters such as this one.


Lads doing what lads do the world over.


The closest to Australian suburbia that I saw for the trip.


Mr Second in Charge scrubs up rather well.


This boat went through several locks with our boat.


21 comments:

  1. Andrew, your hotel is very original and impressive one in the old style. I love it,. Now in Germany most people who live there are Protestants but they are catholic but not Roman Catholic like most people in my country. But probably as you noticed all shops in Germany are closed on Sunday but in my place all are opened. It;s of course economy.Your cruise was amazing I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I forget what the original purpose of the hotel was. Yes, we did notice shops and places were closed on Sundays. That is unusual here now.

      Delete
  2. Loving your cruise, and the rivers. Though the flood water levels are reminder that there is a price to pay living so close to them. Sometimes a high price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: The towel art was pretty incredible too. I have never seen it.

      Delete
    2. EC, flooding made worse by a more extreme climate now. One more towel piece to go.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you are still on vacation! It seems like quite awhile since I've read a blog of anyone's so I was surprised to see you all are still out and about. Germany is indeed beautiful country.
    The towel makes me wonder just who is it that thinks up these things. Towel art, what next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, check the date in the headline. We have been home a couple of weeks. I had heard of this towel art, but the first time I have experienced it.

      Delete
  4. I love the cute towel rabbit, like the water pump and surrounds too.
    Yes, Germany is full of Catholics, my dad was one, but never went to church. He told me once he got booted out for guzzling the communion wine when quite young. Full of Lutherans too, my mum was one, she told me there are High Lutheran and Low Lutheran, the high is so religious with rituals etc it is just like being very devout Catholic.
    Love the beer-on-wheels business, do they make and deliver I wonder?
    Those roses on the wall are pretty and I really like the yellow shade of that wall, may I copy the picture?
    I like the crooked little house backed up against the town wall, I reckon if the New Zealanders had mentioned Kiwi, she might have understood, or Maori. Perhaps they should carry some kind of local icon in their pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes I thought there would be a lot more Lutherans. Where they were out, the roses were beautiful. Of course, use the photo as you wish. What sort of icon? A shrunken head?

      Delete
    2. Tiki? Photo of tattooed Maori?

      Delete
    3. I doubt any symbol would work as well as a kangaroo.

      Delete
  5. Great topic :)

    Religious war ended in Germany in 1555 with the treaty of Augsburg. Both the Catholic and Lutheran faiths were officially recognised and religious unity was imposed in every principality: each prince had to choose between Catholicism and Lutheranism and to impose his choice on all his citizens. Ordinary citizens had two choices: to follow their prince in religion, or to pack up their carts and move to another more religiously compatible principality. The princes split about equally in their choice, with a north-south pattern.

    Plus here were 65 free cities which were not controlled by a prince and owed their allegiance directly to the emperor. Almost all of these cities chose Protestantism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clear and to the point, thanks Hels. Bavaria, where we spent most of our time, seemed very catholic.

      Delete
  6. Mittenberg rang a bell but I wasn't certain whether we stopped there too until you mentioned the flood level readings and then I knew that we had done so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small town Victor, and not so memorable.

      Delete
  7. Hello Andrew
    Have been following your river cruise - just not saying anything. You certainly had a good time. Loved your analysis of the fellow travellers and those towel animals seem to get everywhere - all the stewards on the big cruise ships leave one on the end of the bed each evening lol
    Have you settled back into 'normality' yet?
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, thanks for reading. I know many read and never comment. Maybe it was from you who I first heard about the towel animals.

      Once I went back to work, normality returned, but necessarily nicely.

      Delete
  8. I can't imagine living in a place where there's even a chance of being flooded out! I do enjoy your little interludes checking out the local 'talent' Andrew.. Seriously the minute we stop doing that we may as well give up :) Am enjoying your travels very much, made all the better because I don't have to actually get on a plane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, always looking looking, not doing anything now. Just imagining. Ah yes, I will get to planes at some point. Nightmare stuff.

      Delete
  9. River picked up on a headscratcher - it is one thing to hop around like a roo, but apart from looking menacing, grunting, and poking out one's tongue, it be a challenge trying to identify oneself as a kiwi - not even sure a map would help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiwi problem FC. In the kindest of manners to our eastern island friends, let them suffer.

      Delete