Friday, May 02, 2014

Old Hoofers

If you don't know what an old hoofer is, you are probably not reading this. I am obliged to Andrew of Television.AU who put up the link to this clip.

Australia has a television award night known as the Logies, presumably named after John Logie Baird, the supposed inventor of television. While there is a respected peer voting system, the focus is on the popular vote which is widely open to manipulation and has little credibility. The award night used to be fun to watch, but the organisation clamped down on drinking at the event and then live tweeting from the event, so it is now a very tame affair. It must be a very tough night to host for the compere. Even the respected Wendy Harmer, comedian, writer, tv show host, radio presented and co-owner of the online Hoopla, acknowledges she failed miserably as a host.

I really enjoyed watching this clip of the opening of the ceremony back in 1989. You may not get much out of it if you don't know who the people are, but they are very familiar stars of stage and screen to Australians of a certain age.

In order of appearance,
Lorrae Desmond MBE
Hazel Phillips OAM
Pat McDonald (dec., this was her last public appearance)
Denise Drysdale
Jeanne Little
Rowena Wallace

 

15 comments:

  1. Andrew, I have watched it . In my point of view is nice and worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, they were or still are fabulous women in Australia.

      Delete
  2. There were some faces I have not seen for a while there, not bad singers, I was surprised.
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I too was a bit surprised at the singing. I guess stars back then really were all rounders.

      Delete
  3. What an absolute hoot. Something I have never watched - but how I enjoyed the irreverence here. And Jeanne Little is soooo right about her voice. I suspect she could shatter a paper cup with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, so sad that Jeanne is now in care with Altzeimers (why won't spell check work when you need it). But then she was a Howard supporter.

      Delete
    2. Alzheimers.
      Mr Al Zheimer.

      Delete
  4. I didn't watch this year's event but I'd bet that the performance in the 1989 clip outshone anything staged this time around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so Victor. Some aspects were a bit gaudy, but their talent shone.

      Delete
  5. What a trip down memory lane! Back to a time when the clothes were gorgeous and not a "wardrobe malfunction" in sight. When a dress was a dress, not a frilly ruffle held together (or not) by a strip of ribbon.
    I haven't watched the Logies in many many years, there is just no class to it anymore.
    I remember everyone of those women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well River, could you crush into a corset like some of them did? Modern fashion is much more forgiving. Like you, I haven't watched it for years.

      Delete
  6. YESSSSSSSS!! I am an Australian "of a certain age".
    TV was so exciting, once it arrived in 1956. Later on, less so but we were used to it by the 70s. Everyone had a tv by then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, we did not get tv until 1965. It was fantastic. I am so pleased I saw it in early times, the live performances and the lack of slickness over production.

      Delete
  7. Oh that's classic Andrew, I don't remember it but I looooved watching it here.. I reckon it must be one of the toughest gigs to host, nothing worse than no one laughing at your gags oui!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were all so talented Grace. We won't see the likes of them again. I am sure everyone laughs at your jokes, or there'd be trouble.

      Delete