Sunday, April 13, 2014

Jirrahlinga Sanctuary

A couple of years ago there was a fire at Jirrahlinga, an animal sanctuary on the Bellarine. Sadly six animals were burnt to death. I looked at some details about the sanctuary at the time and he who won't donate to save the starving children of the world immediately promised myself to make a donation to Jirrahlinga. It is a sanctuary that looks after injured animals and large Australian birds who people can longer care for, remembering that if you are given a cockatoo when you are born, it may outlive you. 
More than once when visiting Sister on the Bellarine, we were going to visit Jirralinga, but for whatever reason, it did not happen. During our last visit to the Bellarine we did pay a visit and I made my promised donation, which raised R's eyebrows when he saw how much I gave. This is a place with many workers, volunteers. They need money for housing and feeding animals.

We travelled through Barwon Heads and found the place and parked next to a paddock where Ibis were grazing.


There were many cockatoos of sorts in care, mostly from people who could no longer look after them.


The sign says it all. I don't think it was this one, but a galah seemed to be the best talker of all with, 'Give me a kiss'.


A Corella.


Another type of Corella.


Is this a Major Mitchell Cockatoo?


This one is a very pale pink.


No idea what this is.


Koalas from outside the fence.


Oh, a fox. Not sure we care too much for them, but we have to be kind to critters.


Dingoes, which I am sure are derived from the Japanese dog Shiba Inu.


A python getting ready for winter hibernation.


A kookaburra, so very Australian.


Parrots.


Cockatiels, the most destructive bird known to humankind. We had some. I know.


The keeper let us in to have a close view of koalas. They eat leaves and do the biz, with males at times fighting, but mostly sleep.



What I imagine a Magpie Goose might look like.


Not a clue. Pea hen?


There'd be a wallaby.


There'd be a wombat.


Budgerigar of some type. Unusual colouring.


Maybe the same unknown bird as earlier.


Extra special, a blue winged kookaburra.


Kangaroos. Note the joey (young) trying to fit into his mother's pouch. It is clearly too  big.


This joey has its face peaking out  from its mother's pouch. It is a more suitable size for a pouch.


Old man emu.


Could be a kite.


A barnyard owl.


We thought this was a statue, but then it moved. I guess it is an owl of some type.


Emus and kangaroos have been known to fight, but there wasn't any fighting here. Nevertheless, the emu did not like the kangaroo so close and rose to move away. It became clear as she/he struggled to her feet, she had some kind of arthritic disease.


More pretty parrots, badly photographed.




15 comments:

  1. What a day. And what a lovely place - though I hate the need for it. My partner gives to animal charities too. The ONLY charity he gives to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I only give to low key animal charities, more those that pick up the pieces that the more professional orgs miss.

      Delete
  2. My comment disappeared. Hmmmm.
    The unknown bird is a Cape Barren Goose. They're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To eat? Ha Ha Just kidding....

      Delete
    2. Thanks Fen. They certainly have a striking appearance.

      Maybe River.

      Delete
  3. I love these photos - all so beautiful. The joey trying to prolong his baby days is very funny. I feel a bit sorry for those cockatoos. The sanctuary is clearly doing great work looking after them, but it's a shame so many need adoption. At least I suppose they have company of other birds there.
    Wow, python, is that really the most comfortable spot for hibernating?
    I'd never heard of this sanctuary. Sounds like a great place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I think it is time the 'roo's mother says 'on your way Sonny Jim'.

      I thought the place would be very small and we would quickly go through it, but we were there for a couple of hours.

      Delete
  4. It's a bit unclear, but I think that unknown owl is a tawny frogmouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are correct Wombat. It was about three weeks between visiting the place and writing the post, so I forgot things.

      Delete
  5. Andrew, it's a wide choice of animals and most of them are very interesting fo me especially Corella and Galah. Australia's wildlife is amazing and so wonderful it's a paradise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, even I appreciate we have some very strange animals in Australia.

      Delete
  6. It looks like a wonderful place and I'm glad you donated, I would have too if I'd been there. It's the sort of place I give to when an appeal goes out, much like the animal welfare league here when there is a call for blankets etc for the dogs and cats, I do an online donation.
    I was going to say that owl is a tawny frogmouth but wombat3071 beat me to it. I love the blue budgie, my mum had some like that and some paler blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is a very worthy place. Sad, but people don't keep budgies like they used to. My step father was a breeder. Actually, maybe not so sad and let the budgies live a natural life.

      Delete
  7. It looks like a great place. Must have been so rewarding to make that donation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, I felt like I had done a good thing. It has been hanging over my head for a time and I could have donated electronically, but I wanted to do it personally..

      Delete