Monday, April 21, 2014

Details, details

I am not bothering with the language of the Netherlands or Belgium, as we will be there so briefly but I thought I might learn a hello and thank you in Hungarian, as we will be there for a day or so.

Seems to be four different hellos in Hungarian, depending on the time of the day. I suppose there is in English too, but hello or hi covers everything. I will probably say hello or bon jour. I am yet to investigate please or thank you.

I've checked the pronunciation of the Hungarian currency, the forint. A friend has bought some for us and I hope he can return them as I am sure 42,000 for R and myself is too much, about AU$250. We don't think we will need much in the way of Euros but we have some. We have a decent amount of English pounds but I expect that won't be enough. We bought the currencies some time ago and the rate was very favourable compared to now.

A taxi from the airport to our Budapest hotel costs about AU$20. For four of us and luggage we would need two taxis, $40. The taxi system at the airport sounds like it is well organised, as it was in Malaysia, where you pre pay. But we have paid $80 for a chap in a van to collect us at the airport in a mini bus. We have never done this before but a chap holding up a sign with my name on it will greet us at the airport baggage area. An NB said the driver will be non English speaking, which is fine, their country, but I would be surprised if drivers who did airport pick ups did not have some level on English.

From Melbourne door to Budapest door will be about 30 hours. We are dreading that part of it.

There is a very popular Hungarian fast food that sounds particularly unhealthy but rather nice. I have forgotten the name. No, it isn't goulash. Goulash is ok, but not a favourite of mine.

16 comments:

  1. Long flights? Torment. But it will be worth it. You have me intrigued about the Hungarian fast food though. Hopefully you will remember - and tell us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it EC. Langos. Deep fried flat bread, maybe with potatoes or sour cream mixed in and topped with similar to what we put on a pizza.

      Delete
    2. Sounds interesting. A review in the fullness of time perhaps?

      Delete
    3. It sounds like it is worth trying EC. Neither of us is svelte anymore, so a bit of deep fried bread with toppings can't do too much more harm.

      Delete
  2. You will need some coins, I've forgotten of which denomination, for the public toilets in Hungary. They are clean and well run and there is a person who collects your coin. No coin, no entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victor. I very useful tip.

      Delete
  3. I am getting to the point of hating those long flights. The last one from Quito to London I was given a sleeping tablet from a Hungarian I met on the Galapagos trip. Small world. However I have kept in touch and last week was invited to his place for a meal - goulash which was delicious. The trip will be upon you in no time. You will have a great time in Budapest. I thought the food was excellent but never did get to grips with the language or the currency. Best of luck with that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, for our last o/s trip, a friend of R's gave him some tablets to help us sleep on the plane. One didn't seem to work so I took two and washed them down with a large scotch. It was wonderful. R still has some left and found them and I looked at them and they are Temazapam, a well known drug.

      It is nice to connect with people when travelling, even if you never see them again.

      Delete
  4. Andrew, in Hungary in small towns don't speak English or German I was in Sarospatak last year an I couldn't buy anything or find a car park. It was a disaster. Luckily in Budapest the situation is different. Hungarian language is so difficult and completely different from other Europeam language. Budapest is a great city

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosai, we won't really be out of Budapest, so not a problem. It is strange about the language of Hungary.

      Delete
  5. I imagine your driver would know at least enough English to greet you and collect his fare. I don't think I could manage 30 hours in one seat, especially with my back and varicose veins, perhaps you could walk up and down the aisle a bit? and take a couple of naps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, we have paid for the transport already. We have to get off the plane for an hour or so in Singapore and change planes and wait for a few hours in Munich, so it is not all plane sitting. I've included time to and from airports. You can be sure will nap, or more, and we do walk around a bit when on planes. I also have dvt stockings from when I had surgery.

      Delete
  6. Hello Andrew,

    Do let us be your source of information for most things Hungarian. We shall be delighted to guide you!

    The taxi system at the airport is very well run, so it is a pity that you did not stick with it. There are rogue taxi drivers but the official taxis are well signed and very efficient and, as you say, even with four of you and lugggage, two taxis would have been a cheaper option.

    Change places are all over Budapest and offer good rates of exchange. We are sure that you will find Budapest quite inexpensive even with treating yourselves well!

    The language is fairly impenetrable but thank you.....koszonom szepen....goes a long way! Except when paying a bill since these words signify that you do not want any change!

    How exciting that you will soon be here....blink and the 30 hours will be over.....we used to spend that time on a bus from Budapest to London!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JayLa. I will be in touch soon. I only get one vote when it comes to decisions and I didn't push for taxis as if it went wrong, my fault.

      That is interesting about change places. Ours around the city do not offer a good rate and are only for the lazy or disorganised.

      Koszonm szepen. I think I may just say thank you.

      We both are both apprehensive and excited. Thirty hours on a bus? No, no, no.

      Delete
  7. Well you got some very helpful tips there Andrew.. which is good because I have nothing on Hungary :) I'm still in shock at the thought of a 30 hour flight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grace, it won't be quite as long coming home, thank god.

    ReplyDelete