Saturday, April 12, 2014

Daylight Saving Botheration

Our clocks went back the weekend past. I finally have that hour I lost in Spring returned to me. I shall make a point of not dying during daylight saving time when an hour of my life is stolen. Nevertheless, I like daylight saving and I would not care if it went for the whole year. Who cares about daylight in the morning except cows and curtains?

The clock changing business seems to get easier each year. There was time when your phone asked if you wanted to update to the new time. Even the computer asked that, sometimes on the wrong weekend when the government changed the dates. Now they just do it. There was the VCR to change.....well many things. Not so now.

Our television and PVR updated itself as soon as they was turned on, as did digital radios. I had to adjust the mantle clock, the wall clock and the spare room clock radio. R had to alter his bedside clock. My bedside clock has a digital radio. I never know how to set the alarm on my clock when it is daylight saving. I know the clock will correct itself once the radio is switched on, but what do I do the night before? How do I set the alarm for the next day. Ditto phone. It seems with your phone, just set your alarm to the right time to get up the next day and let the phone look after the time change.

Digital clock radio is more problematic, but never say Highriser is beaten by technology. I switched the clock radio on and turned the volume to zero and overnight, I expect at 2am, it corrected the time. When a heavy and bleary eye cracked open at 5.30, it was very pleased to see the clock radio said 5.30. I knew it was 5.30 because I checked on my phone. The phone won't get the time wrong, surely.

Just the car clocks to do. Mine is easy, with a twist of a knob. R's is very complicated and requires a read of the car manual each time change. (I played with the clock while sitting in traffic on my slow journey home from work because there are too many people in Melbourne. I worked it out, but it wasn't easy)

Later: I forgot the microwave clock. It is a shocker to set. It took R and myself five minutes to work it out when it was new. Now we have forgotten. We might just leave it for a few months and then it will once again be correct.




14 comments:

  1. Andrew, unfortunately our clocks went forward the last weekend of March because now we have a summer time so we sleep an hour shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly I am obviously a cow or a curtain (and suspect the former). I do like my light in the morning. And look forward to the clocks going back. Though I loathe the process. Our bed side clocks don't reset themselves and the car clock is a bi-annual nightmare. And there are too many clocks here - even our toothbrush control has a clock (which wasn't easy to reset).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I have noted you rise early. A tooth brush clock. How extraordinary.

      Delete
  3. One of the hospital volunteers has a tiny yellow coloured car so small it seems little more than a toy and she can't work out how to adjust the clock so she gets me to do it twice each year.

    I can never remember how I changed it 6 months earlier and have to fiddle for a few minutes to work it out again. Basically you press one button, then press a second button, then twirl the second button left or right according to whether the time is going back or going forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Victor's a gay male. He will know how to do it. Ask him".

      Yes, my experience of car clock adjusting was similar.

      Delete
  4. I did all my clocks on time but discovered one had stopped who knows when and forgot to do my watch but worked that out a week later, my life is a bit slow these days.
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, oh for the luxury of being a bit slow and not having to worry so much about clocks.

      Delete
  5. I've not done my car clock yet, or the weather station clock, but I think the rest are done. I've been waking up at 5am! Not helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I forgot about the weather station. It chews through the batteries and I only alter it when the batteries need replacing. Waking early is extra time for the internet. Yay.

      Delete
  6. I know every state and nation makes its own decision on whether to go on (and off) Daylight Saving and if so, which weekend. So big local events, like a football final or a horse race, might influence local dates.

    But how silly to have to remember Victoria, NSW and Tasmania are on Daylight East Coast Time, South Australia is on Daylight Central Time, Queensland is on Winter East Coast Time etc etc. Israel goes onto Daylight Saving when we go off, except for a two weeks difference. Arizona totally does not believe in Daylight Saving although the surrounding states do. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, the changing times must be a nightmare for media companies, including broadcasters. There was a time when Australia switched, so did the rest of the world in the other direction. Now Australia is being difficult by extending the Summer time.

      Delete
  7. You have too many clocks going Andrew (and several other people I know) I have a kitchen clock, manual turning of the hands back or forward, Lounge room clock, ditto, watch another ditto. Bedside is digital but so very easy, hold down the "clock" button while holding the "hour" button, done.
    I don't bother at all with the clocks on dvd or microwave, I only turn those machines on when I use them. My phone doesn't get changed at all, it stays on regular time all year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So River, you are saying you are not a slave to the clock and it doesn't matter if some are wrong. I am envious.

      Delete