Monday, April 14, 2014

A London Surprise

When we arrive in London after our European river cruise, we will need to get to our hotel in Lancaster Gate from St Pancras Station. I thought R might want to get a taxi, given we will be lugging suitcases. But no, he said he is quite happy to catch the Tube. I checked and although the distance is not far, to get to Lancaster Gate Station involves a change of trains from the Victoria Line to the Central Line at Oxford Circus. Well, that is what we have to do then.

My extra hour of time from daylight saving ending was spent looking at maps. I love looking at maps. Right, here is our hotel and here is Lancaster Gate Station. Hmmm, Queensway seems a bit closer.  Actually Paddington is not that far away. When we were last in London,  we walked from our Sussex Gardens digs to Lancaster Gate to catch the tour coach to St Pancras to catch the Eurostar to Paris. If I had better knowledge then, we would have just caught the Tube from Paddington to St Pancras. So Paddington Station is not so far from Lancaster Gate, walking distance even with suitcases really. That would mean just one train, direct from St Pancras/Kings Cross to Paddington.

We will walk along Praed Street, which changes to Craven Street then Craven Hill, left into Leinster Terrace, then left into Lancaster Gate.

Leinster Terrace! That rings a bell. Ah yes and we will almost walk smack bang into a particularly odd house. I posed the question here and answered it here.While I would not have bothered to see the house, what a coincidence that we will see it, probably more than once.

27 comments:

  1. The taxi will be £10 and worth it. Which hotel are you staying at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott. We will see how we feel. After spending a good bit of the day on trains, we might like the walk. I will check where the rank is in case. It's the Langcaster Gate Hotel.

      Delete
    2. Langcaster? Lancaster of course.

      Delete
    3. Nice food at the Island Grill - right next to Lancaster Gate Tube.

      Delete
  2. Excitement mounts. And if mine is starting to rise I hope (and assume) yours is too. How long now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, about four weeks now. Excitement and apprehension combined.

      Delete
  3. I also love looking at maps. And time tables. So, four weeks and London it is. Tally Ho. Two fortnights. This is the bee's knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit longer Rubye, as we take our river cruise first.

      Delete
  4. I like travelling but hate flying and it such a long way to fly.
    You are very organised.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Merle. It will be around thirty hours of travel from door to door.

      Delete
  5. Sherlock hid in that Leinster Terrace building ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only spotted by an observant train driver.

      Delete
  6. "My extra hour of time..." What's this? Are your days now 25 hours long?
    I think we should all be saying "my SHIFTED hour of time", because really that's what it is.
    I'd forgotten about that odd house and had to go back to see what you meant. It's very cleverly done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you know I don't like spoiling a good story with minor facts. The hour is stolen in October and not returned until April.

      Delete
  7. Hello Andrew,

    Not long now until you are floating down the river to us......

    Excitement reigns.....

    Do not envy you the trials and tribulations of transport in London. A River Cruise reminds one of more leisurely times of travelling....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed not JayLa. We now have an itinerary for the cruise, and some things we will see will be wonderful. I didn't even realise we will visit Vienna.

      Delete
  8. Wow. Thanks for the links to your posts from 2011. Incredible.

    I'm envious. Would love to visit London again. It's been a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, I like London very much and I did not really expect to.

      Delete

  9. yes, definitely London is a great city it worth visiying luckliy I will be in June. My advice take taxi or walk it depends on the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes, things like that are rather dependant on weather.

      Delete
  10. It's very easy going from St. Pancras to Paddington with the tube, but don't forget the luggage and the tubes are packed ! I did it once and decided never again ! It was awful. Now when I come to London I book a hotel just across Euston Street there are many little hotels in green squares, not noisy at all. There you can leave your luggage and take the bus or tube to visit London. We will take a taxi when we arrive in London because we have to go to the Victoria bus station and that's too complicated with luggage and tube. From Victoria to St. Pancras with a taxi you have to count about 15 £. Which is about the price you have to pay for two tickets in the tube if you don't take a daily pass which costs about 8 £ and you can go where you want with tube and bus the whole day long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, from what Fun60 says, London is much busier than it was six years ago but back then we did not find the Tube too busy and I think we arrive on a Sunday. We will buy Oyster Cards this trip.

      Delete
  11. Praed St... sigh.... I love that name. My children were born in the huge hospital there. Ugly and old hospital, but what a super area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, the now very well known hospital after a royal birth?

      Delete
  12. Have fun you two. It is fun learning tour way around London. The river cruise is a blast. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I really enjoy planning travel, even though it is a heavy responsibility. Pleased your experience was good.

      Delete