Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sunday Selections

River never misses Sunday Selections. Mine is not really an SS, in my mind, but I had to think of title.

Well, the week before last was very busy. Sunday we set off for The Bellarine to stay with Little Jo, Sister and Bone Doctor for two nights. Tuesday night my great niece was born and Wednesday was a visit to town to buy a gift for the newborn and a card. Thursday we picked up Mother and took her to see the newborn. Along the way I reloaded Windows to the computer. Friday was a trip to Moorabbin DFO for some shopping. Saturday, not so much, but dinner out with friends for R's birthday. Sunday was a family lunch at the Cuckoo for Mother's birthday.  I no complain.

When Little Jo was born, we gave her a quite expensive baby blanket, and at least until last year, if she wasn't feeling well, she firstly wanted Mummy and then Blanky. We thought we would do the same for Middle Niece, except they seem to have gone up in price. I think we paid $40 for Little Jo's, but $70 for the newborn's. The choice was a between a cheap one at $22 and much more expensive ones with nothing in between. I hope she grows as attached to it as Little Jo did to hers.

For R's birthday dinner, we tried a place knew to us called CII in Grange Road Glenhuntly. We thought it was Italian but there was also Middle Eastern food on the menu. Brighton Antique Dealer speaks Italian and spoke to owner/manager. She said he replied in Italian but with a strange non Italian accent. Whatever she said, we received the most excellent service. The prices for the food were quite low, as was the wine and the food absolutely delicious. I highly recommend CII, with the only criticism was that it was a bit noisy, but there was a very large group dining. I rather like my restaurants with carpet on the floor to quell the noise.

Here are a few photos. What can one say about The Cuckoo? It is cutesy and a bit kitsch, but we had a great time for Mother's 80th and the entertainment was very good, as was the food and service.There are three or more areas to the place, all with their own buffet and entertainment. It can cater to huge numbers. As well as normal diners, there were four tourist buses outside and two mini buses, with all the passengers inside. The $50 lunch finished at 3pm, and then they do a $15 Devonshire Tea, and later, dinner.

Ok, just checked, some stats. It seats 450 people, built in 1914, so this is its 100th year anniversary, originally called Quamby and was Australia's first smorgasbord restaurant, set up by a German couple.




You don't have to like the largest cuckoo clock in the world. I thought it was ugly.


The night before after R's birthday dinner, R put the gift of some tulips in a vase. Yes, he cut the stems. I took a photo of them limp and expected to be able to take a photo of them erect the next morning and send on to the giver of the tulips and a thank you.  Alas they remained like a dead donkey's dick.


The gifts and cards. They were left overnight and sorted and in the morning.


Flowers for R's birthday from the UK were delivered. Of course not literally from the UK, but the local florist. I usually put a photo up on Face Book to show the flowers to the UK rels but I won't this time, as I think they may be disappointed.

16 comments:

  1. Andrew, you definitely has had too busy week but I hope so the next will be better. The cuckoo clock is not nice but it's unusual and it's important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, while it is very large, I wonder if it is the largest in the world.

      Delete
  2. That was an uninspired flower arrangement. I have been known to complain - which has resulted in a replacement.
    Sad about the wilted tulips too.
    You have been very busy - and I am glad that some of it was celebratory business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I we know the florist they came from and it is a very expensive one. If it happens again, we will do as you suggest.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe I've lived in Victoria all this time and not known about The Cuckoo. I may have to bring my parents next time. Chinese folks love a buffet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, I am surprised you don't know about it. Yes, a great place to take parents. All will have a good laugh and plenty of food.

      Delete
  4. Hey
    " dead donkeys dick" is one of my sayings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, pleased it is only a saying of yours.

      Delete
  5. Yes The Cuckoo is cutesy and a LOT kitsch, but the entertainment is excellent and the history impressive. My parents, aunts and uncles took all of us children to the Cuckoo on birthdays since the place opened in 1958.

    I still have the photos ... but oh my, our clothes were horrible ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, so embarrassment. We too have old photos. What did we look like. I remember one of me with a large moustache, and another wearing a silly green hat. Wish you hadn't mentioned it really.

      Delete
  6. That certainly was a busy week, sad about the tulips though. Better luck next time?
    I remember giving a family heirloom blanket (not from my own family, from a relative), to my girl when her baby girl was born, I forgot to mention it was an heirloom and she later passed it on to a friend for her baby. It's gone forever. Never mind, someone somewhere is enjoying it.
    I like the look of the Cuckoo, but when it comes to clocks I think they are better on the small side. There is a shop in Hahndorf that sells them and I remember seeing one of those really big ones and thinking it might look alright in a huge shopping centre, but not in someone's home.
    The birthday flowers might look a bit "meh" to you, but they also look very Australian, maybe the friends in the UK would like to see what we grow out here. Although it does look like they padded the bunch with a lot of greenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, until it falls apart the family blanket will go on.

      I like the traditional small cuckoo clocks.

      We kind of know what flowers grow here. I think the florist may have been told to make them suitable for a male, or the upmarket florist took it upon themselves.

      Delete
  7. You have been busy celebrating and eating out. Way to go! Happy Birthday to your mum and congrats for getting to 80.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, she had another celebration today with late Step Father's family. Luckily I was working. Thank god that is all over.

      Delete
  8. You did it again Andrew, after midnight here in Perth and I'm laughing again.. I have a vase of tulips in exactly the same 'condition' sitting in the kitchen, will think of them in a whole new light now :) Happy that R's birthday dinner was a success, how good is it when you find a place where the food is good AND reasonably priced.. doesn't happen too often, Cll sounds like a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm not even trying Grace.

      Delete