Sunday, March 02, 2014

Sunday Selections

Check to see if River, Jackie and Elephant's Child have posted a Sunday Selection. Here is my effort for the day just one week after we were in town on a Sunday.

As we departed The Highrise to catch the tram to town, two restaurant trams came along. I was too slow with the camera and only captured most of one tram. I highly recommend a meal on the restaurant tram.


At Federation Square, a performance was underway. Kind of a left over Chinese New Year performance, I think.


Mobile phones. It is estimated that Australians have hoarded their old phones to the extent of 23 million of them sitting unused in drawers, wardrobes etc. I live sustainably, as long as I have enough money.


Hmm, critters


Riding a rhino? Really?


What on earth is this about, at the Ian Potter Gallery? A drunken dinner party?


A colourful rug. The words say "Don't touch the dishes! I will do them when I get back from Smith Street. X"


Memories of the 1950s?


Ok, this 'art' was created by a group of women who used to live in a shared house in Hotham Street, Collingwood a couple of years or decades ago.


What do you call it? An antimacassar?


A kookaburra cushion. 


Picasso's Weeping Woman (not the real one). It hasn't been stolen again.


A long view of the earlier seen carpet. Now, go back and look at the dinner party photo. The floor rug is made of piped icing sugar. The rug below and above, also piped icing sugar. In the fifties lounge room, the cushion covers, the antimacassars, the floor rug and Weeping Woman, all icing sugar. It took some careful studying with spectacles on to work out what was as it should be and what was icing sugar. It went from being ok that is art, to suddenly really interesting art.


We were in the gift shop, looking at wonderful things, and Ann O'Dyne, there was a book of Rennie Ellis photos. When is your birthday? Oh, you don't do birthdays. That is a saving for us. The gift shop is so expensive, but Trunk and Orderly did amuse me.


Things were still happening on stage as we left.


It is lunch time, a late lunch. The beer was of an English style, so R told me, and quite disgusting. I hate wasting a dollar and so I have never tried English beer. It that was sample, I am pleased to not have wasted the money......ahh, except I did.  I should have read the menu and learnt that they had Asahi beer by the bottle. Never mind that the deliciously dry Japanese beer Asahi is made in China.


The omnipresent Eureka Tower.


R needed some ingredients for dinner, so we went to the supermarket in Elizabeth Street. I hung around outside and fended off beggars and chuggers (charity muggers, collectors). The tower of Eureka and the Elizabeth Street end of Flinders Street Station amused me.


Here is a closer view. R returned from the supermarket interior with Manny's friend, the retired priest in tow. He attends Mass to the north of city but lives south of the city. He stops off at the station where he has to change trains to do some shopping. It was his birthday, his eighty second. He can talk the leg off an iron pot, so we wished him happy birthday and briskly set off along Flinders Street to catch the tram home. Note there is a camera on the balcony of the clock tower. Big Brother is always watching but it seems he is mostly reactive rather than proactive.

20 comments:

  1. Well that was a was a interesting afternoon travelling around your city.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
  2. More than interesting, that was fascinating. Restaurant trams? Are they new? What sort of food is served in them?
    And those icing sugar works were incredible... So much industry. Presumably at danger from any passing breeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, the restaurant trams have been around for years. There are four of them. The food was restaurant quality and it was wonderful.Our trip on the tram,
      http://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2011/03/rs-birfday-pt-3-finis.html

      Delete
  3. A person rarely loves the taste that his parents selected for their house. So Edwardians hated Victorian tastes, the 1920s and 30s hated Art Nouveau and I still loathe 1950s taste.

    Those 1950s displays at the Ian Potter galleries were gathering lots of viewers on Friday afternoon when I was there, but I avoided them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I have grown to like the 50s and 60s furniture that I grew up with, although they do make me think of PM Menzies.

      Delete
  4. Andrew, Sunday full of activities and so nice. The clock tower reminds me Big Ben in London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except Gosia, it does not chime. Well, I've never heard it chime.

      Delete
  5. Boy some interesting creations - how about that Kookaburra photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, who would have thought up to do all that stuff with icing sugar.

      Delete
  6. The clock tower looks wonderful an I like the little basket your chips were served in. I've seen some here in Adelaide but I can't remember which store. As for Trunk and Orderly...I wish we had one of those around here, I love the cases and could certainly use a couple.
    LOVE the word chuggers and I'm going to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, chuggers has been around for a while, but I first noticed it in newspaper a couple of days ago.

      Delete
  7. Forgot to mention what a shocking waste of icing sugar! It would be so much better on a cake. For me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often pick the icing off!

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness - I had to go back and look at those pictures again - and then again - and I still can't tell they are icing sugar!
    I've always wanted to eat on the tram restaurant, but have often suspected the food must not be good. Am I wrong? seems so kitschy. But I would still like to do it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard that too Jackie, but I thought the food was excellent and with good wine and the drinks flowed freely.

      Delete
  9. You often pick the icing off! Quelle horreur Andrew.. I sometimes slice the icing off and throw the cake away :) This was a fun Sunday selection.. from a Chinese New Year encore to a mobile phone 'installation.. I have three that I could add to that. How did they keep the ants away from the icing sugar creations, I dropped a piece of biscuit the other day and before long it was covered in ants, where they appeared from I do not know.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, weird. I loved icing when I was younger. I just find it sickly sweet now. The ants. I hadn't thought about them. It may well be a substance that is like icing sugar. We have had ants here once only when they got into depilatory wax.

      Delete
  10. oh glad you got a pic of the phone thing. I saw it late one night and after marvelling at all the old skool phones forgot to take a pic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I hung around a bit looking at the old phones. So quaint.

      Delete