Thursday, March 13, 2014

Give way to the Queen

The Queen Mary 2 is back in Melbourne. In my hard copy cruise ship list published last year, she was supposed to be here yesterday, the 11th, but she is here today, the 12th. This has caused complications.

Cruise ships normally dock at the lovely Station Pier. Station Pier is also used daily by the ferry called Spirit of Tasmania. Not a problem normally but also at the pier is another cruise ship Celebrity Solstice. Two cruise ships have at times used Station Pier, along with the Tasmanian ferry.

Photos from Visit Victoria.


Evidence. Two cruise ships and the ferry.



But I guess the pier is just not big enough for a normal cruise ship, the ferry and the huge Queen Mary 2. QM2 is the largest cruise ship to visit Australia and Celebrity Solstice is the third largest. No room at the inn. Will royalty precede over the more common cruise ship? For once no, and QM2 is docked at the industrial Webb Dock among shipping containers full of bits for motor cars. No leisurely departure from the ship, no coffee fortification at a smart cafe, no wander along the beach and catching the tram to the city for roam around our fine Victorian period buildings. No, those leaving the ship are being minibused away, past cranes, containers and other sundry port workings. Suffer the rich.

Photo from The Age.


Later. I made it my business to be in St Kilda later in the day as the QM2 departed, back lit by the sun, her grey silhouette looked glorious.

20 comments:

  1. Glad they will be able to see the real world :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, somewhat more than we see of the port.

      Delete
  2. How they suffered. I was a bit surprised (and pleased) that QM2 didn't take precedence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I think for some reason she is day later than her original schedule, so the the other one with the original booking is entitled.

      Delete
  3. QM2 returns to Sydney tomorrow morning requiring the temporary displacement to the White Bay berth of a cruise liner called (mysteriously) Black Watch which will then move across to Her Majesty's berth at the Overseas Terminal upon Her departure in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black Watch. I don't think that one has been here Victor. My father's mother (The Bolter) used to live in a house overlooking White Bay in Donelly Street.

      Delete
  4. Queen Mary is a magnificient ship what a shame we can't see it in Europe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, would it travel in the Mediterranean perhaps?

      Delete
  5. We plan to voyage on her just once

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The animals John? It's not Noahs Ark.

      Delete
  6. Didn't you have a post not too long ago about two ships in harbor? Maybe it was just one. You know how confused we old folks can get.
    That's really sad that the passengers had to see all those shipping containers and they were probably forced to see working people also. What has Melbourne come to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly Rubye. I come across posts of mine, not always old, and think, did I write that?

      They probably don't have a clue where they are. Note The Bieber couldn't recall if he has been to Australia.

      Delete
  7. QM2 was in Adelaide last Monday. I knew she was coming and thought about going to see her, but laziness ruled the day and I didn't. I also thought about getting a sunset shot as she left, I could have stood on the jetty at Semaphore, but again, I couldn't be bothered with the hours of travel necessary to get to and from. Maybe next time. She certainly is huge. I saw her leaving Adelaide on the TV news, but the shots were taken so far away, it could have been any old ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I suppose she berthed at Port Adelaide. Semaphore jetty would be a good place to see her.

      I am curious about how you and other Adelaide people say jetty. I think we say pier. A jetty is just a tiny pier to us. Yes, people say Glenelg Jetty, when it would be a pier here. A state linguistic difference?

      Delete
  8. Definitely state linguistic difference. my ex always said pier and he was raised in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really interesting River. What do other states say?

      Delete
  9. Sorry

    That was written about me. It is true. The Spirit of Tasmania offered every facility that a traveller could want, but I didn't enjoy the sea sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok Joseph, I get it now. The original came through to my email. I don't think I would suffer from seasickness, but not having been on a ship in open water, I don't really know. The ferry is expensive compared to flying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It doesn't matter how fancy they make them, they're still boats and you won't get me going on them for a journey.

    ReplyDelete