Thursday, February 20, 2014

Trivial Pursuit

I am here to help with interesting facts for your next game of trivial pursuit. Of course I have not verified them and facts can only be facts if they are facts. The Funk and Wagnells is packed away (the title of the encyclopaedia amused me as a kid, and still does).

1/ The organisation with the largest number of employees in the world?

2/ The largest power user in the State of Victoria in Australia?

3/ The second largest power user in the State of Victoria in Australia ?

4/ The organisation with the largest number of civilian employees in the world?





Answers.

1/ The Chinese Army. Foreign Minister Bishop and Defence Minister Johnston, take note.

2/ The aluminium smelter Alcoa, except it is closing down in Australia. All these foreign companies that paid huge prices to buy our electricity generating infrastructure are no longer seeing growing demand for electricity.

3/ The Victorian suburban and country trains. While the energy equation is very favourable as against private motor car travel, the trains do use a lot of electricity. Fortunately we have a huge supple of hard to burn and polluting damp brown coal to generate electricity.

4/ The railways of India employs a huge number of staff.  It is a complex beast. The son of a former Bengali Station Master explained some of its intricacies to me.

20 comments:

  1. And that's a meat tray for the gentleman in Melbourne's ivory tower. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the Indian railways have so many employees because most people don't have cars and have to use the trains to get about. Do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without doubt Rubye, although India is suffering badly from a huge increase in the number of motor cars. There is a real commitment by the government to improve it and rid it of corruption.

      Delete
  3. There was a great programme on tv recently ( name eludes me) about India's rail system and how it is one of the few in the world that runs on time. It showed how the maintenance is carried out continuously with rail gangs working day and night. - the maintenance manager moves around on a little trolley complete with sun umbrella. Blowed if I can remember the name but very interesting to watch - as you say it employs thousands
    I think some of the brown coal is drying out due to the fire raging in the open cut !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, it is almost one of the worlds wonders. I am surprised it runs on time. Oh that we could achieve that.

      Yes, I am glad I don't live in the Latrobe Valley. It must be awful for the locals. I can't help but think authorities don't care so much about the generally poorer people who live near the open cut.

      Delete
  4. If only I could remember all the facts I have read and researched - what a little brain box I would be. Oh well never mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Fun60. In one ear and out the other. Sadly the most useless stuff tends to stick.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh I totally used to have a collection of Funk and Wagnells Encyclopedia when I was little. Good times :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I haven't really got a set now, but I used to have a set, bought at $5 per book over a few months. It was cheap because it was already out of date.

      Delete
  6. I heard about Alcoa on the news last night. Along with news of a bus strike here in Adelaide tomorrow, only between 10am and 2pm, so people getting to and from work and school won't be affected.
    I don't go to quiz nights, my lack of general knowledge is deplorable, I don't think anyone would want me on their team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I am surprised. I thought you would be quite good at trivia. Usually well read people are good at trivia.

      Delete
  7. Trivia, except for one or two little things always escapes me. It is really rather embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, as I said to River, I am surprised if you would not be good at trivia because you read a lot.

      Delete
  8. Very good ! I didn't know one single answer, lol !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, how about the largest bureaucracy in the world? Might that be near you?

      Delete
  9. Who says you don't learn new facts on the blogs.
    Merle......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, just don't quote them to anyone who might be really smart.

      Delete
  10. I haven't thought of Funk & Wagnells for years. It was a regular punchline on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In. I can still hear Goldie Hawn saying "Look that up in your Funk & Wagnells." I don't have a Funk & Wagnells or I would look up your statement that facts can only be facts if they are facts. I'm not sure if that's true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, I can't remember Goldie saying that, but it was a funny show, especially the bit at the end where they were behind windows.

      Delete