Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Little Brown Jug


This morning on ABC Melbourne radio, broadcaster Red Symons was talking about a song he found in his old copy of The School Reader. I vaguely recall it along with other Education Department publications. I also recall an ABC radio programme broadcast for children that came through the large wall mounted speaker. Sometimes, it was a folk dancing. Naturally we altered the first word to something that amused us. There was also a boys and girls question time. I don't think it was the pre pubescent me, but a school mate who suggested we write in a question in to the ABC to ask why our dicks get stiff? I did subsequently find out.  

Note the first verse. I've heard it has been changed to She loves Coffee and I love Tea, And therefore we don't agree.  I remember singing it, but I really can't recall what we sang. Meanwhile, it has been a flea in my ear all day.
Ha, ha, ha, you and me,
Little brown jug, don't I love thee!
Ha, ha, ha, you and me,
Little brown jug, don't I love thee!
Me and my wife live all alone
In a little log hut we call our own;
She loves gin and I love rum,
And don't we have a lot of fun!
Ha, ha, ha, you and me,
Little brown jug, don't I love thee!
Ha, ha, ha, you and me,
Little brown jug, don't I love thee!

19 comments:

  1. Andrew, is very funny I am in better mood now.




    however I have to corrrect a lof of tests for tomorrow. It reminds me of my childhood when I was at elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often hear that from sister Gosia, lots or marking to do. Good to have a laugh.

      Delete
  2. I remember the ABC sing along lessons both as a teacher though not as a student. I loved them as I was hopeless at teaching singing. Little Brown Jug was played by Glen Miller's big band. He was a favourite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I heard a recording of his band and someone singing, but I can't find it now.

      Delete
    2. check you tube and i-tunes?

      Delete
    3. River, I tried You Tube, but could not immediately find it. I was getting sick of it by then. I don't use I-Tunes.

      Delete
  3. I remember the song but don't remember what we sung as kids but I know we changed the words.
    Merle.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, apparently the gin and rum version was in the 1940? school reader.

      Delete
  4. Talk about a blast from the past! I remember that song, also the music program from the speaker up above the blackboard. We were supposed to only listen I think, but if we knew the song we sang along. I don't remember any question time, but that may have been me not paying attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I can remember the woman's voice so clearly. She was very proper as she broadcast. But most of it is a bit hazy to me. I wish I could remember like some people do.

      Delete
  5. ahhhhhhhh yes :) In the 1940s and 50s the School Reader was essential because it was the only reading primary school students could be guaranteed. Schools couldn't ask parents to buy books and I don't remember primary schools having libraries.

    Despite my parents having tons of books, I remember the school reader with great fondness. It pops up in my mind in conjunction with free bottles of milk for all primary school children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, there was also the School Paper, I think. It was a flimsy small newspaper, but you could get a binder for a year's worth of copies.

      Delete
  6. @Hels; we had readers in Primary school, I remember very clearly my sister struggling to learn to read her first reader, that's how I learned to read. Apparently I picked it up one day and read her the entire first chapter to show how easy it was. I was three. This was in the 50s and now that you've mentioned the reader, I have a hazy memory of us sitting listening to the speaker while following along with our readers on our desks. It was a once a week thing I think, because for the rest of the week the teacher read with us and the weekly spelling test was always words from the chapter we'd read that week. I'm glad to hear you had tons of books at home, we didn't so I remember the town library with similar fondness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I had one of those songs in my head all morning, be buggered if I can remember it now though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, a real flea in your ear stays there until you go to bed in the evening.

      Delete
  8. Those were tough times the 40's (not that I know them first hand) gin and run would have gone down well.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, yes, it would have been very nice. A drunken sex orgy in the forest was a good example to the kiddies.

      Delete
  9. This is great. And now I can't get it out of my head.

    But you didn't tell us what you learned about that question your schoolmate wanted to send into ABC. I've always wondered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did find out Mitchell, but I have now forgotten the answer.

      Delete