Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Holiday

River cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam, booked and paid for.

For extra days in advance in Budapest, accommodation in Buda booked and paid for.

Hotel accommodation in Lancaster Gate, London, booked and paid for.

Eurostar from Brussels to London booked and paid for.

Looked at times but too early yet to book Thalys train from Amsterdam to Brussels. The same for train from London to Newcastle. Need to book train from Newcastle to Manchester to fly out. An option will be a return train trip from Newcastle to Edinburgh.

It is a holiday, and I am not focusing on prices. If I did, I would never leave home because I would complain about the $60 taxi trip to the airport instead of being able to catch our non existent train to the airport. But gee, train travel in Europe is very expensive. It better damn well work or we will end up sleeping on the sofas of  Jane and Lance's in Budapest,  Peter's in Amsterdam, Gattina's in Brussels and Marie's in London.

It is quite amazing that co-coincidently I have blog mates in all those places. I am equally excited and apprehensive about our holiday.

18 comments:

  1. The river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam has to be the best trip in the ENTIRE world. As long as you maximise the day tours in towns en route, you will be living the dream. Have you visited the vineyards and castles on the Rhine before?

    Let me carry your luggage *sigh*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, although we have spent a brief time in Paris and Amsterdam, we haven't seen any of Europe really.

      Delete
  2. Well, that sounds like a fab holiday. When you are traveling down the Rhine (and before you get to Dusseldorf, you will pass Kaiserswerth, which is our little place until we return to Melbourne next December. If you get shipwrecked near there we will come and rescue you!
    Kirk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, how remarkable that we will pass your town. I shall think of you.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. EC, I've never heard a bad work about the river cruises.

      Delete
  4. Andrew is a great plan. The route is very interesting. I was in these places and in my opinion they are vety amazing especially Budapest and my favourite city in the world London. I hope so you are going to visit Europe in summer not now because of the weather. Have a nice trip fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I am really looking forward to seeing Budapest especially. It will be early summer when we are there.

      Delete
  5. As you know Andrew, I made the same cruise a couple of years ago and it was a very enjoyable trip.

    Hopefully like us the river levels for you will neither be too high nor too low (as happened to separate friends of ours) so that you complete the trip on the one vessel as planned. But then that is an act of nature over which you have no control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, being early summer, it should be ok. More of a chance of too much water, I suppose.

      Delete
  6. Almost did this when we were in France a couple of years back but just too expensive.
    Sounds pretty good have a good time.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, it is certainly not cheap. It is kind of a trip of a lifetime.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like a wonderful holiday and I hope it all goes as planned. Will you be meeting up with any of your blog friends while you are in their cities?
    Don't forget to take lots of photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, there will be lots of photos. Possibly meeting up with a couple of blog friends.

      Delete
  8. How exciting Andrew! I'm not much of one for travel abroad since I feel there is so much to see here in just the U.S. and I hate planes. That said, I would love love love to visit Budapest. You are two lucky guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, I too hate planes but put up with them. People say that about Australia too, but some places are just so different to what we know.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I reckon it will be Fen.

      Delete