Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Surreal

I rose at 4am to take ABI Brother to the airport to fly to South Africa for the Third Cricket Test. Correct me if I am wrong about it being the third test. Last night he spent hours fussing over paper work for the trip, but I think he got it right in the end. I told him to keep the paperwork together. While it might be muddled, it will all be there. He had bits of paper everywhere. Bags, pockets, passport folder, plastic folders. Lordy.

I drove straight from the airport to work. I thought I might have had time for a nap in the car, but no. I arrived at work just before 6am, in time for work but no snooze time.

Oddly, it was no problem travelling on the strange freeway to the airport, but once back on familiar roads to work, I went into a weird place in my mind. 

Tomorrow is my day off and fortunately or unfortunately, I will journey to the far east of Melbourne and take Mother out to the shops.

Oh yes, R gave notice of finishing up at work today too, entering into official retirement.

I function, therefore I am.

6 comments:

  1. If it is this week's test match your brother is attending then it is the 2nd test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok. He is there for three weeks, so he may see the third one too.

      Delete
  2. I admire your courage. Taking my mother to the shops still haunts some of my dreams.
    How long before you retire? And do you have plans for it? I am not certain how I ever found time to go to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few years to work yet EC. I don't know really. I don't have plans for it. My plans at the moment rather depend on R's financial situation, which will eventually be sorted out.

      Delete
  3. Which weird place was that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The road was very familiar, but in some way it was not. I had been driving at 100 k/mh and the empty Dandenong Road felt slow and quite alien.

      Delete