Monday, February 10, 2014

Matters Family

Where do I start. The new is where I will start. Oldest Niece is with child and due towards to end of March. It's around the time of Mother's and R's birthday, when Mother turns eighty. Harking back to times past, Mother wants to celebrate her birthday at the Cuckoo restaurant in the Dandenong Ranges. It is a Swiss themed buffet venue with entertainment. She said she went there for her sixtieth. I can't remember. It is $55 per head, but the food is ok and varied and there is entertainment, if traditional Swiss dancing and an oompah band is entertainment.

Mother finally received all her electricity bills and she owes about $900. As far as I can see, she got away with three months of free electricity. 'Mother, you know that $20 you put away each week towards your electric bill....?' 'No Andrew. I  did not put money away.' No, that is not how she operates. I gave her $150 towards it. I expect Sister gave her some money. Acquired Brain Injury Brother does her daily shopping and sleeps at her place on weekends as she is afraid of being alone, but he won't give her a cent. He will lend her money, but no more until the amount lent is repaid. Not sure what Tradie Brother gives her. The electric company has given her a card and asked her to pay a bit here and there when she can. This is what suits Mother. She is a person of the layby era. Pay it off over time. Most of our very expensive childhood clothes were bought on layby. Later edit: She has been asked to pay $50 per fortnight as she must pay for her current electric bills as well.

Non Dreaded Nephew is going to South America with his partner to follow the World Cup Soccer mid year. He is busy putting out an ongoing fire in the Dargo High Plains and has been there for weeks. They are leaning Spanish. Little Jo knows rather a lot of Spanish, including a Spanish translation of The Magic Pudding.

Speaking of which, Sister, Bone Doctor and Little Jo stayed earlier in the week as after three attempts, Sister finally got tickets to a RocKwiz recording at the Esplanade Hotel in St Kilda. The child was tired after a day at school and an eighty minute car trip and was asleep by 8.30 and did not wake until 7.15.

Sister hasn't told Mother yet, but they are going to Bright with an overnight stay at Euroa as Mother does not like a long time in a car. Mother has always wanted to see Bright, but never has. Of course she will protest about it. There will be many complications. We'll see.

All seems to be ok with Chainsaw Niece and her Maori partner. I still fear for the future. Her father, Tradie Brother, has had a word with her partner, but I don't know how it went. 

ABI Brother is all set for his very expensive tour of South Africa, following the cricket test. While it is costly, he will be well looked after. He couldn't do it on his own. He will see Cape Town, Victoria Falls and Kruger National Park. I think it will be a rather good trip. Mother is dreading her daily help being away.

Mother hates this photo, but I don't why. It is about six years old and is on our fridge as part of a photo collage. She looks a bit older and thin faced now, but not so different. OMG R, his sister and myself are in the adjacent photo, back in 2008. Don't look.


If you wonder who all these people are, you can check on the Cast List link. It needs a little edit, but is reasonably up to date.

27 comments:

  1. Oh, Andrew, I'm exhausted just reading it all! You are in my thoughts... Ah the wonders and joys of family. (I've never seen your mother, but I love that photo. She glows.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, it can be exhausting keeping up, but not so bad when spread out.

      Delete
  2. Family is a complicated animal is it not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, and once you throw in a divorce or two, it gets very complicated.

      Delete
  3. Mind you.... Better with them than without them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naturally I looked. One of the chaps near the tree is rather handsome. Is it R? Your mother looks very attractive in that photo, I don't understand her concerns at all. Your cast list [with updates] is a rather good idea - and my, you have been blogging for quite some time.

    An overnight stay at Euroa? With friends, I hope...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, you are being obtuse. Clearly it is us at the base of the sculpture.

      No, they have booked a motel room for Mother's comfort. Otherwise they would camp if on their own.

      Delete
  5. Your mum looks surprisingly innocuous, especially after reading all the things you've posted about her over the years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, she is charming, sociable and quite lovely. But there is a hidden side that only we children see.

      Delete
  6. Don't look?
    Whaddayamean don't look!
    Of course I looked, you're a handsome bunch and your mum is very pretty.
    I hope your mum manages to remember the $50 every week for electricity....I'm still glad I put away money every week for mine. I pay it to the company ahead of time, so I get bills that say no payment required.
    There is so much going on at your place, trips away, concerts, a new baby expected, 2014 looks to be an exciting year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, ok she is a lot older than you, but I rather wish she was as responsible about money as you are. Exciting year for us personally too with our big overseas trip, if R ever comes out of his bedroom.

      Delete
  7. I hope time the great healer is working its spell on the home front. (Record at my place is 4 weeks, and I didn't get dinner cooked for me.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcellous, simple and brief words, but they made me feel a whole lot happier.

      Delete
  8. I am soooo with you about mum's living costs and debts. You and the siblings have to get together and sort out her finances. There can be no conflict between the siblings, or her chaos will tranfer to the next generation.

    If it cannot be resolved between the siblings, give her savings/pension to a book keeper and let him/her pay every bill on time. Plus she needs to be given spending money each week.

    Otherwise it will end in tears. Trust me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, we cannot sort anything out for her. She is her own person and still in full control of her life. We can suggest and cajole, but that is it.

      We siblings don't have issues about money. Sister gives her the most money, me second, ABI brother does the daily slog and Tradie Brother does his bit. R puts in more than he should. We pay her health insurance, equally divided and ditto, council rates. We pay for a major appliance replacement. Formalising this was something I did well.

      Delete
  9. Gosh so interesting to see photo of your Mum Andrew, she's still an attractive lady, bet she was a stunner when young! All I can say is, I wish my Mum was still here to pay her bills for her. Looooooved reading the cast list and many edits, what a good idea.. We had a barbie at the weekend, P's and my family.. Oh la! It was a mob :) good fun though..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it is not the first time I have put her face on my blog, I would have have thought in your memory of reading my blog. Nice words, nevertheless. If there is one thing that unites all, it is a barbie. I hope you only had the one glass of chard. You know how silly it makes you.

      Delete
  10. Dear Andrew,
    Reading your post reminded me of our dealings with my own mother! My mother is of the Romanov sort: bills? what bills? Surely the money will magically appear in time?
    We shall be taking her in hand once we return to Melbourne.
    Kirk

    PS
    I am enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirk. Welcome. Yes, that sounds like my mother. Oddly she has nearly reached 80 and it has worked for her whole life.

      Delete
  11. Oh my oh my, the family ! My mother never had money, she got pocket money from my father and had no credit card or check book, this made my son ask her when he was little : why do you get pocket money, you are adult !
    These were times for men, lol !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, sometimes it worked like that here, but sometimes the reverse where the husband would hand over his pay and his wife would give him a beer and cigarette allowance. Haha, I don't think you would be happy with Mr G giving you pocket money.

      Delete
  12. Your Mum looks great; much younger and brighter looking than I imagined from your postings.

    Tut, tut, Andrew, it appears your writings may not do your mother justice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, and she is charming and gracious, but everything I have said is true.

      Delete
  13. I envy the South Africa trip, I'd love to go there myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, as well as Kruger Park, he has now whacked on Victoria Falls. An 'investment' came through. Meanwhile he is complaining about the cost of a taxi from the Highrise to airport. I may get up at 4am and take him, or maybe not.

      Delete