Thursday, February 06, 2014

Israel and Tel Aviv

The conflict between Israel and Palestinians is ever present. I have sympathies for both sides. I certainly don't like new Israeli settlements being built on Palestinian land. The whole 'who owns what' is such a hangover from British times when arbitrary lines were drawn on maps.  Britain may have built marvellous railway lines in their colonies and protectorates, but they did get it wrong in many areas.

An expression often said in Australia is, like chalk and cheese.

Within Israel are the towns of Jerusalem and Tel Aviv and the cities could not be more different. They are like chalk and cheese. Jerusalem is quite religious, whereas Tel Aviv is a more free and easy place. You won't be surprised then to know that big business and foreign embassies are all located in Tel Aviv. Being a coastal city helps too.

Tel Aviv won the best gay city of the world competition in 2012. It may be because it spent a million plus sheckles promoting itself as such, to the point of sending gay Israeli dancing bois to bars around the world.

NB This is not a gay Israeli dancing boi but if he is interesting private dancing bookings with me......


A younger gay person who I know who has been there said he had a great time. An Indian born workmate who took his mother there also liked it. Tel Aviv really does sound like a good for western people visit.

But then I heard a term new to me, pinkwash.  Tel Aviv is a great place for gays, but if you are a gay Moslem, then maybe not so much.

Tel Aviv may well have sold its embracing of gays around the world with its pinkwash, but still the intractable conflict between Israel and Palestine remains.

23 comments:

  1. Chalk and cheese about says it all.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The certainly are Merle.

      Delete
  2. Acceptance should be non exclusive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, like the Orange and the Green, these things go very deep into people.

      Delete
  3. My understanding of why most foreign Embassies are in Tel Aviv rather than Jerusalem is not because Tel Aviv is the livelier city but because many countries do not want to inflame, or get dragged into, the political debate on Jerusalem being recognised as the capital of Israel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I am sure that is part of it, but what diplomat wouldn't choose Tel Aviv rather than Jerusalem? Safer too, I should think.

      Delete
  4. In my point of view is very interesting story. I have been there yet but maybe in the future. But it is not so tolerant place for everybody but probably both cities are very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I am sure Jerusalem is very historic...well of course it is. Not so much Tel Aviv. Both would be interesting, but I think I would stay in TA.

      Delete
  5. As a 17 year old, I did my Gap Year in Israel, 6 months in Jerusalem and 6 months volunteering in Kibbutz. Jerusalem was too religious and too cold for me.

    Then my beloved and I both got our degrees and started married ife in Tel Aviv. We were impoverished compared to Autralian friend, but oh what a social life!! Food was cheap and the beach was free, so life for young 20s was grand.

    One generation later, my older son left Australia, fell in love with a gorgeous Israel woman and lives in Tel Aviv. They are beach bunnies too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that is quite an endorsement Hels. You didn't meet your husband on a Kibbutz?

      Delete
    2. Andrew
      I met him in Ballarat!
      He needed a bridge partner at a students' conference.

      Delete
    3. Always interesting how people meet. If I was young and I was asked to a game of bridge, I think I may have declined, and missed out.

      Delete
  6. Interesting. I'd never heard the term "pinkwash" before so I googled it. That's really too bad that they don't accept Muslims so easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guessed the meaning of the word from the context of what I was reading, but it is interesting to google it Rubye. Generally, I have found sex overcomes religious differences, but maybe not relationships.

      Delete
  7. Pinkwash? Isn't that what you do to the nursery when the missus has a baby girl?
    I'm not likely to go to either of those places, so I'm not too concerned, but I do wish they'd get over whatever is the problem and just all live together in harmony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good River, and a blue wash for a boy. Yes, we all wish that, but I am doubtful it will happen in my life.

      Delete
  8. Are there really gay muslims???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently Diane. It can be difficult to tell the difference between a Jewish gay and a Muslim gay. They are both snipped, usually severely.

      Delete
    2. Well put, Diane :)
      Well answered, Andrew :)

      Delete
  9. All these Israel/Palestinian troubles started with this 6 day war ! They won land and never gave it back. I think Muslims, gay or not are not very welcome in general. I try to like everybody as long as he behaves good. I don't care about religion or sex. We are all humans. Good or bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I accept people for who they are, but I am afraid in Australia Moslems have become very problematic.

      Delete
  10. I can assure diane b there are definitely gay muslims just like there are definitely gay Chinese notwithstanding ridiculous assertions by the Communist Part years ago that China had no such thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I think Diane might have her tongue in her cheek. Her actor son in law lives in West Hollywood.

      Delete